First 'Proper' Trip (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Returned early afternoon from 3 nights at Yellowcraig CAMH site,near North Berwick. Weather was kind, so able to walk along the beaches [47,000 steps in the 2 1/2 days] and were able to have lunch in a posh café in North Berwick [first café visit for 16 months so slightly unnerving].

Armed with the newly acquired knowledge on how to rotate the table, we managed to make a walk through passage from front to back of the Van and the drop down bed having a caravan step for the regular 'one out all out' nightly ascent/descent routine made life much more comfortable! The routine is starting to settle now and things are beginning to make sense now.

Also good to be able to get a decent journey length drive in Brunhilde to see how she rides at 55-60mph. Around 2,000rpm seems most comfortable, but I need to get to a weighbridge to measure the overall payload and axle loads. The front tyre 5.5 bar feels far too high and the sweeping bends around the Edinburgh Bypass [especially the Queensferry Crossing exit], made her wallow like a plastic pig. A very enjoyable and successful trip all in all!

Steve & Elaine

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Returned early afternoon from 3 nights at Yellowcraig CAMH site,near North Berwick. Weather was kind, so able to walk along the beaches [47,000 steps in the 2 1/2 days] and were able to have lunch in a posh café in North Berwick [first café visit for 16 months so slightly unnerving].

Armed with the newly acquired knowledge on how to rotate the table, we managed to make a walk through passage from front to back of the Van and the drop down bed having a caravan step for the regular 'one out all out' nightly ascent/descent routine made life much more comfortable! The routine is starting to settle now and things are beginning to make sense now.

Also good to be able to get a decent journey length drive in Brunhilde to see how she rides at 55-60mph. Around 2,000rpm seems most comfortable, but I need to get to a weighbridge to measure the overall payload and axle loads. The front tyre 5.5 bar feels far too high and the sweeping bends around the Edinburgh Bypass [especially the Queensferry Crossing exit], made her wallow like a plastic pig. A very enjoyable and successful trip all in all!

Steve & Elaine
Yes, Yellowcraig is a decent site for us with the dug! Having said that about to cancel and go to an independent site in Carnoustie instead.
We run our 4.25t van at 69 \ 80 - front \ rear (note real numbers - none of your made up ones here!) ps 4.75 \ 5.5 bar.

pps did you remember to take Elaine this time! :whistle2: :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Yes, Yellowcraig is a decent site for us with the dug! Having said that about to cancel and go to an independent site in Carnoustie instead.
We run our 4.25t van at 69 \ 80 - front \ rear (note real numbers - none of your made up ones here!) ps 4.75 \ 5.5 bar.

pps did you remember to take Elaine this time! :whistle2: :giggle:
Always remember to take Elaine; were she not there, I would think I'd gone deaf ... And I'd be lot without my Technical Director and being bullied to get off my rear end and to get some steps in ... :rolleyes:. Site was very good but the queuing for toilets and the associated COVID routines were a bit of a faff. But seeing the roe deer was really special.

New mattress topper arriving tomorrow and stand alone SatNav from Dealer either tomorrow or Saturday, so that should just about kit us out with a full set of stuff instead of the 'it'll be better when we get X and Y sorted'.

We're thinking about using Brunhilde for weekend/mid week trips to nature/wildlife venues such as bird and seal/dolphin watching so that we have a schedule of visits to plan. We'll see how long that lasts!

Steve & Elaine

Steve

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Bl**dy H*ll! You've worn out the original mattress already?:eek::eek::eek:
Hope you've got uprated suspension fitted!:whistle2::rofl:
Yep. You know how much effing about we've had to do to get the Van working properly. Need to make an appointment with the Surgeon to get me knees and back checked next ... :oops: :dance2:

Steve

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We were at Yellow Craig a couple of weeks ago its a nice spot know the cafe in North Berwick well if its the one with the glass around the outside. It's a nice bit of coastline. We didn't experience the loo queues as we prefer to use our own facilities.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Be careful,you might end up wallowing down to the hollow,where you can wallow.....in glorious mud. Mud, Mud,glorious mud..........Altogether now..... :Grin: :dance2::ROFLMAO:

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Be careful,you might end up wallowing down to the hollow,where you can wallow.....in glorious mud. Mud, Mud,glorious mud..........Altogether now..... :Grin: :dance2::ROFLMAO:
Funnily enough I was looking at that for our guitar and ukelele group yesterday.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We run our 4500kg Hymer about the same and still find it a hard ride even with full air? However when towing the car on the trailer with full load it’s much better, I’m going to deflate back and front a bit more when not towing.🤔

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We run our 4500kg Hymer about the same and still find it a hard ride even with full air? However when towing the car on the trailer with full load it’s much better, I’m going to deflate back and front a bit more when not towing.🤔
Tried ours rears down to 75ish but was a bit "wallowy" so back up again. Continental recommend running them at 80psi for our actual axle weights.

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Have a think about semi air suspension on the rear if the wallowing concerns you.
It's only a 5.99m Van and has just gone through 9,000 miles [350 in our 4 weeks of ownership] at 5 years old! But the bends do make it wallow, especially if the camber is a wee bit severe! I think I'd better reassess after a weighbridge trip and reducing the tyre pressures from the '5.5 bar all round' mantra.

Steve

OP
OP
marchie

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
'The Gasman Cometh' is one of my Party Pieces! The other is 'Albert and the Lion', so you have been warned ... :dance2:

Steve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back