First 'proper' adventure. Have I got it right? (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi Guys.
Leaving in 10 days time for our first 'proper' adventure. Driving a 8m MH along the Romantic Road, Bavaria, Austria, Northern Italy. All stops are single nights, sadly not enough time to extend the trip.

Dover - Calais, lunchtime ferry crossing. 1.5 hour drive to Campsite Blaarmeersen - Ghent

Ghent - Wurzburg, 5 hour drive,Campsite Wertheim-Bettingen - Bettingen

Wurzburg - Rothenburg. 1 hour drive, Campsite Tauberromantik - Rothenburg ob der Tauber

Rothenburg - Augsburg. 1.5 hour drive, Lech-Camping, Affing-Mühlhausen

Augsburg - Hohenschwangau. 2 hour drive, Campsite Hopfensee, Füssen

Hohenschwangau - Salzburg, 3 hour drive (avoiding toll roads), Panorama-Camping. Salsburg

Salzburg - Carinthia, 5 hour drive (avoiding toll roads), Campsite Klagenfurt Wörthersee
travel via Villacher Alpenstrasse

Carinthia - Cortina d'Ampezzo, 3 hour drive. CAMPING ROCCHETTA, Cortina d'Ampezzo
Visit Passo Giau

Cortina d'Ampezzo - Innsbruck 4 hour drive, Ferienparadies Natterer See, Natters
Travel via grossglockner high alpine road

Innsbruck - Freiburg, 4.5 hour drive, Campingplatz am Möslepark, Freiburg

Freiburg - Ardennes, 4 hour drive, Camping Bertrix, Bertrix

Ardennes to Calais, late afternoon ferry to UK

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Robert

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Wow. I don't know if you got it right but sounds like one heck of a lot of good planning went into that.

Have a WONDERFUL time.

Hopefully some of the more experienced travellers will come along in a minute and be of help to you with advice for your trip. :)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Agree with ScotJimland, too much driving for me .......too many stops.........too tight a timetable......but good luck with it(y)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds like one of my old work schedules. It would take me at least 3 months to do that lot now.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So are you all advising Robert to re think the schedule and perhaps drive without as many stops, i.e. longer driving hours, or to re-think the route/destination? He sounds like he would appreciate any advice you can give from your experiences.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Robert.. no offence intended.. but you will need a holiday after that trip... far too many stops in such a short time scale..

No offense taken !
As we can only get away for 2-3 weeks at a time (maximum) and we want to 'go' places, I can't see that we've got much option (unless I've missed something, hence the post in the first place.
We've done a number of long road trips in the US, and the traveling between places was often as good as being somewhere. Having said that, we've allowed some time for cycling and walking on the shorter trips so we are determined to get out of the MH and do something.
Appreciate your feedback!

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I bet you don't stick to that schedule! You'll find somewhere fab and stay longer - best laid plans and all that!!!
Enjoy it wherever u end up!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
So are you all advising Robert to re think the schedule and perhaps drive without as many stops, i.e. longer driving hours, or to re-think the route/destination? He sounds like he would appreciate any advice you can give from your experiences.
Movan - just read your signature and it reminded me of an Indian proverb told to me by a Navajo guide in Monument Valley this year. It goes something like this.......Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Both... you don't want to be driving EVERY day ..
I'd take two or three days to get there and back.. with four days on location . Or not go so far.

But we are all different, and much depends on your age.. When I was younger I did mad dashes to the Med., without a stop... from Glasgow..

Like Dave said .. the same journey today might take three months.. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
ScotJimland - would this work better?

Dover - Calais, lunchtime ferry crossing. 1.5 hour drive to Campsite Blaarmeersen - Ghent

Ghent - Wurzburg, 5 hour drive,Campsite Wertheim-Bettingen - Bettingen (2 nights)

Wurzburg - Augsburg. 2.5 hour drive, Lech-Camping, Affing-Mühlhausen (2 nights)

Augsburg - Hohenschwangau. 2 hour drive, Campsite Hopfensee, Füssen (2 nights)

Hohenschwangau- Freiburg, 4.5 hour drive, Campingplatz am Möslepark, Freiburg (2 nights)

Freiburg - Ardennes, 3.5 hour drive, Camping Bertrix, Bertrix (2 nights)

Ardennes to Calais, late afternoon ferry to UK

Cuts out Austria and Italy, but gives more 'quality' time on the Romantic Road.
Or how about 1 night in Ausburg and 3 nights in Hohenschwangau?

Appreciate your comments and suggestions!

Regards
Robert

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Your revised schedule is more like a holiday!
Your original schedule was more like as Dave says a truckers delivery timetable. At least now you are giving yourself time to get out of the van and actually see the places rather than just drive through them.
The Romantic Road is fabulous, we did it a couple of years ago but we took nearly a month over it. And we still didnt see everything.
Remember that plans are made to be changed - if you are enjoying somewhere dont feel like you have to charge on to the next place just because its in your "Plan". Its not work where a project plan has to be adhered to! And you dont have to try and see everything in one trip - there is always next year and the year after.
Remember too that you dont have to use campsites in Germany. There are thousands of Stellplatz in Germany, many free, most of the others a very reasonable fee and most with EHU (usually on a meter). Get the BordAtlas which has a comprehensive listing. Its in German but theres an English glossary thatmakes it easy to work it out.
Just relax and enjoy!

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Or
Dover-Calais enjoy the scenery at a leisurely pace in the general direction you would like to go set a maximum time you want to drive towards your 1st stop over .
When there, take time to chill and enjoy that area then make a plan when you want to move again .
Theres lots to see if you've not been that way before you may like it you may not
Theres always the next time if you run out of time.
Like you I enjoy the drive as much as the stop over.But I gave up the multi drop style long ago.
Whatever you choose enjoy your journey we are only here once.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't miss out on Rothenburg, it was the highlight of the Romantic Road for us, that and Fussen. We travelled down the Rhine, onto the Romantic Road this May. The bits in the middle are (as far as we were concerned) not so brilliant. We stayed in the Stellplatz in Rothenburg, just across the road from the entrance into the walled Town - I think it was about 10 euros per night for a really nice spot.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I don't know how busy it will be in August, but we didn't plan anything at all, and stayed in stellplatz's rather than campsites. PM me if you want a list of where we stayed.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
On a 2 week schedule, we find it best to target one particular region to tour.
Europe in bite size chunks is far more relaxing than a driving holiday whilst attempting to see it all at once!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
On our first trip we tried to see as much as we could and later realised that all we'd actually seen was miles of roads. So now we just aim at an area with a researched list of places we'd like to see and go with the flow. Sometimes the weather changes things too. Whatever we miss will still be there to enjoy later.

Just finished "planning" our autumn trip to Romantic Road and Alpenstrasse so let us know how you get on.

TerryL

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for the feedback guys
Based on advice given we are not making any firm bookings but will 'go with the flow' and see where the adventure takes us
The only firm bookings will be our first and last nights sites
Will post details of the trip if anyone is interested
Regards
Robert

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
thats the best way . we book a ferry to santander in november the next destination is santander in april to catch the ferry home . where ,when ,how and with whom we travel is anyones guess .
we might even change the return date to later if we arent in a rush.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for the feedback guys
Based on advice given we are not making any firm bookings but will 'go with the flow' and see where the adventure takes us
The only firm bookings will be our first and last nights sites
Will post details of the trip if anyone is interested
Regards
Robert

Were in the same boat as you with the limited time away. We work out where the end point is likley to be, then belt down to that place then spend the rest of the time ambling, and we cover quite a few miles, I quite enjoy the on the move bits to be honest, pretty good view from the cab - especially if its somewhere scenic with a stop here and there.

If its your first time over - see what works for you, if you dont mind moving about a bit then so beit, if you find you dont - then great...end of the day...its your trip(y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When I was younger (a lot in fact) I used to rarely stay anywhere more than one night, as the maximum I could have off was three weeks, sometimes just two. You do see a lot travelling and I still like that part, but my minimum stay is now usually two nights, which gives a full day exploring locally.

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

You really must include Rothenburg and also Dinkesbuhl on the Romantic Road . Dinkesbuhl is a lot less touristy than Rothenburg but is just as lovely .

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Only 2 more sleeps until we're off!

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
image.jpg
Sat in line to board the ferry at Calais on our way home. Had a great time driving down the Romantic Road through Bavria.
Just wanted to pop by and say thanks for all the advice offered. My original plan was farrrrrr to ambitious. I learned some very valuable lessons. The first was that Stelplatz are nicer than campsites as they are not fill of kids and much quiter. Secondly not to book anything in advance, and to let the journey take it's natural course. I invested the the Bord Atlas which was invaluable. Looking forward to our next trip to Tuscany in October - just need to rip up my original plans, relax and enjoy!
Regards
Robert

Nethernut

Free Member
Apr 25, 2011
NE Scotland
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Superb Stellplatz in Frieburg, 15 minutes walk from city centre, lots of space, 9 Euros per night for us (7 to 8 metre price). Lovely spot, easy to find.
web site link:
Broken Link Removed

Get yourself a copy of Boardatlas or ADAC stellplatz book - both in German but easy to understand.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back