First post, is a campervan right for me? (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
Hello to all and thank you for the welcome from Jim in admin. I only discovered this forum a few days ago after looking at one or two others which seemed a lot less active.
Depending on a few hurdles to overcome, not all of them in my control, I hope to go travelling from Spring 2022. For the last two years there has been only one camper on my shortlist, the VW California. This confinement period has given me time to look at the benefits and drawbacks of the Cali. Benefits being VW build quality, compactness, car like equipment, ease of parking, under 2m high, refinement and performance, comfort of driving, clever modulable interior and a widespread dealer network with good after sales. Drawbacks being the high purchase price, lack of wet room and hot water and increasingly having to pay for unnecessary high tech equipment imposed by VW. In the end the main things which made me look at alternatives were the restricted living space and no hot water, toilet/shower. The Cali would be great for a long weekend away but not for a long term trip.
I am now looking at Fiat Ducato/PSA based offerings in 5.4m which I didn't even know existed in that size. I don't like the cheap looking black plasticky dashboard/facia but I can add a few options to make it look less horrible. You know that you are in a commercial van! At least the starting price is much below that of the VW California. Having more time during this Covid 19 confinement, I search for all the 5.4m offerings from the converters, browsed websites, viewed countless youtube videos and started to make a few dealer enquiries. So far here's what I've found.
Very few 5.4m campers at available in the UK compared to the continent.
5.4m is not much cheaper than the 6m long model. (5.4m is already big for my parking space)
A lot of vital equipment needs to be added as single options or option packs.
Every van has one or two annoying cabin layouts features which could be easily rectified. The perfect van would be a mashup of 2 or 3 converters.
The UK consumer is being taken for a mug. The same van, like for like, is around £10K more than in France or Germany.
Maybe it's because they're still working from home, but dealers cannot deal with in a simple request. If they don't first ignore your email, they just reply to you in a poorly spelled message. They usually inform you of a van they have in stock matching your product interest the closest when all you've asked for is a price and options list (rarely available online).
My conclusion so far is that it's going to be a long journey to campervan ownership!
Thanks for reading this and I welcome your thoughts if you've had similar experiences.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
:HelloThere:and w2f.
It‘s probably frustrating for you not being able to try out vans atm. It’s one thing looking online but you really need to get inside them and once you get the idea of buying one, you can think of little else.
One of the beauties of motorhoming is wild camping, being able to stop where you want for a day, a night or a few nights so a loo is essential, a sower desirable. You can get a tiny wet room inside a small van.
Best advice I read on Fun was imagine it’s raining non stop for 24 hours and you’re stuck inside your van, then decide if it’s right for you.
You will find the van that’s right for you, take your time deciding, don’t fall for any EBay / Gumtree / similar sites scams and you’ll have many happy travels in it.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My first van was a converted VW T5 - I spent time updating it from a 'day van' to a camper. It served me well, but it was way too small, you can not stand up in it (unless you have a pop top - which, for me, is the same as having a tent) and everything has to be moved to do anything else
I know there's people who travel in them for months at a time - but I'm not one of them!

I also don't believe that VW build quality is any better than others these days (some would say they are worse)

My second (current) van is a Seval L2 H2 - the 5.4m long model that your post refers to. My choice of size over the more common 6m length was down to me wanting my van to be my daily drive (I did look at the equivalent VW sized vans, but at the time, 4 year old vans were rusty)

From your post, you clearly have a vision of what you want in a van (even down to dashboard colour!) but don't appear to have any experience of using one

I suggest, post lockdown, go to some shows/dealers and have a really good look round at different sizes & layouts to give you a clearer idea of what's available and what you want/desire

After that hire a camper and try it for a weekend, maybe start with a VW and from what you learn from that, hire something bigger

If you can't find what you're looking for (in my view the word 'comprise' can be applied to every motorhome ever built!) then do what I did and buy a van and have it converted to your own specification

Hope this helps

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome!
I’m relatively new to motorhoming (2015), and am now on my third ‘van.... The first was a VW based AutoSleepers Clubman (5.4m); the second after a few months a 6m Majestic 120 (Peugeot Boxer) - we needed more space!; the third after 21/2 years a 7m Elddis Majestic (Boxer) with a fixed bed....., and our current van. You really don’t know what will suit until you try, so, reiterating previous comments, see as many ’vans as you can (when you can!), try before you buy, and don’t be surprised when you end up with something you never considered in the first place......

Good luck!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
We had an Autosleeper Duetto for years, not fancy looking at all, which I see as an advantage, we never had a break in attempt. Fully self contained but small. I would advise, as others have, buy second hand first until you're sure about the layout. If you intend to do long trips I suggest a high top, not a pop top. Out first van had a pop top, I had to put it down in high winds, not good on long trips

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are thinking of buying new have a look at the Murvi Pimento and Piccolo models. These are the size you want and are available on a Fiat or Ford. They do come up second hand but not often. We have a 6m Murvi, the shorter ones are very similar but just have less storage space.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
:pink:

The advice below is pretty spot on:

I suggest, post lockdown, go to some shows/dealers and have a really good look round at different sizes & layouts to give you a clearer idea of what's available and what you want/desire

After that hire a camper and try it for a weekend, maybe start with a VW and from what you learn from that, hire something bigger

Ian

Jane And Rog

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 19, 2019
Ashford, Kent
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Recently, since 2017
We started off with a VW with similar thoughts to you - it was our only car, and so great to be able to stay away for a night just on whim. Ours was an AutoCamper - build quality was fantastic and service amazing, no complaints on that score.

But then we started noticing that on bad weather holidays we just switched to hotels as 2 adults and one large dog in a camper did not make for a fun experience. Without a shower, we could only wild camp for a night at a time. We did have diesel heating which was great so made it into the spec for the next van.

We now have an Adria Twin SGX and completed a long holiday in the Scottish islands, with plenty of wild camping and not a single night in a hotel. Our van was the first year of this model and there have been some teething problems, but we enjoy our time in it so much more. We have a fixed bed so someone can lie & read. Dînette with the sky roof over so we can sit in the evening with a drink and chat. Cooking inside is possible rather than almost impossible. Proper bathroom with loo and shower, which is also great for drying wet walking gear.

Once we’d decided to abandon being a single vehicle family, we decided not to worry too much about length, so our van is 6.36 m which means we sleep lengthways in the van and both can get up to the loo without disturbing the other. The van is now kept on a nearby farm, as too big for the drive for any length of time.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hello and Welcome,

I hope to go travelling from Spring 2022

So there’s no great rush, this allows you time (once places open again) to take your time and look around, the likes of the VW camper are great for a fishing trip or a weekend at the beach with facilities nearby but as you’ve worked out you need more if touring, especially if you don’t want to rely on site facilities etc

One thing to consider (as Nasher alluded to) is what you have to move to do the next thing you need.

We bought our first MH in February but had previously hired, this meant we were able to work out what WE needed, this is different for everyone.

Try to imagine yourself in the van at different times of day, let’s say you want to sit in bed and read a book with a cup of tea. Not going to happen if the bed is above the driving area with no headroom, or if you have to stow the bed to get to the kettle.

To many people this just isn’t important, I have no idea if it is for you, I have no idea how comfortable you’d be with a 9m van, what I can tell you is we spent a good time looking and worked out that for us....

We wanted to tour and stay off sites as much as possible, We needed a bathroom but it didn’t need to be massive, we didn’t want to sleep in a bed that we couldn’t sit up in, we didn’t want to have to make the bed up every night and I refused to even consider a layout that meant turning the driving seats around to eat dinner at the table. It needed a good oven and enough on board water to last days rather than hours.

Armed with that we struck out and visited shows and showrooms, we pretty much found the right van straight away, it’s much easier when you can walk in the door, glance around and run through your want list, I found that either one of us could go in and cast a vote in seconds.

Good luck with the search and come back here to tell us what you bought, just so we can say you got it wrong ;)

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
:hiya: :pink:

We have a 5.4m van conversion, just the right length for our drive with the doors at the back being open, no need to worry about passing neighbours clipping them. Its amazing how much we can get in it! Its definitely like a Tardis, small van on the inside but lots of good storage on the inside.

We are 2 adults and 2 dogs (the ones in my avatar), we have a small dinette with 2 seat belts and a fixed transverse bed at the back. Small washroom, but big enough for a shower, after all how much time do you spend in there? Lots of storage under the bed for all those essentials and some non-essentials but nice to have things, plenty of wall cupboards, kitchen cupboard and drawers. None of them have been completely full, we've had plenty of shorter trips away and a week in France, should have been in Spain now but we'll get there another time.

We wouldn't want it in storage as then Mark couldn't go out and tinker with it, which include swapping over one of the roof vents for a MaxxFan, adding in MiFi, taking wall cupboards off to do things with wiring, the bed has been completely out of the van this weekend.

Whatever you choose in the end remember that there will be compromises but get it right and you'll really enjoy your new way of travelling. Good luck!

OP
OP
B
May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Not yet
A big thank you to all of you who left welcoming messages. A few pertinent comments and suggestions that I'll take on board!
One hurdle to overcome is that I live in a flat and will need to pursuade the neighbours to allow me to park on site. I think the van will stick out about 40cm lenghtways. The layout that I need is bed at the back to allow maximum storage underneath. One van which grabbed my attention is a little known camper with some clever space saving ideas named VanTourer 540D. With only one UK dealer who didn't respond to my email enquiry, I may need to look elsewhere. Hymer, Globecar, Adria, Dreamer, Weinsberg and Burstner have some interesting vans The Westfalia is very nice too but very expensive, charging £2000.- extra for the 140hp engine for example. However, some of those converters do not offer their 5.4m model in the UK. As I'm planning to do most of my travelling in Europe, I am even considering buying a left hand drive from a dealer over there. Their prices are definitely a lot cheaper than in the UK even putting into account a possible 10% import tax from next year. Extra red tape, insurance and possibly no UK after sales service are something I'll have to think about though.
Thanks for the suggestions about hiring one first. I did indeed do that two years ago on a very wet Easter weekend when all the campsites I had booked got flooded! Having my mum with me, the VW California I hired was great as it sleeps four. We still had a great time with some last minute rearrangements. However, as some of you said, it is not one I would like to be in if I was confined in by the weather for too long.
All the best and thanks for the constructive comments!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We had a VW T4 California for 10 years and it was ideal for us at the time and easy to live with. Our trips lasted up to 3 weeks. The limit related to available holidays. We could have toured in it a lot longer.

VW reliability and build quality is overrated. It was quite costly to maintain. From the forums it seems that the T5s were no better and perhaps worse. I don't regret the change from VW to FIAT. The FIAT X/290 dashboard in piano black is classy enough. The dials are harder to read but apart from that no real drawbacks.

Now we have a 5.4m Rapido V43 on a FIAT (no longer made by Rapido). The next size up the MH ladder. Relatively easy to park both on the drive and at the supermarket. Enough storage and payload for our needs. Of course you get more room in the longer 6m and 6.4m PVCs but all have some layout compromises and payload trade-offs so they suit different owners according to their priorities. Don't buy a PVC with only 3,300 kg MTPLM, look for 3,500 kg which most should have.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
To me a van without an enclosed cassette toilet would be a step too far,,, BUSBY.. :LOL: :LOL:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We are on our second panel van conversion both 6m, we did look at 5.4m and yes it would fit perfectly in our apartment parking space, but found the difference very noticeable, 😉 like touching knees at the table. 🤔
Our daughter has a VW, but for us a proper motorhome is essential, our Pilote has a slide out the way sink, that makes a big shower, 100lt water tank two leisure batteries a fixed bed reasonable storage 2 large gas bottles are all important things for us, so sticking out our parking space a little it is. 😁

We wanted LHD living in Spain, and got one in Germany and registered it here, but many have done the same and registered them in the UK, plenty of advice will be given from members , check out. 🤔 Broken Link Removed
That will keep you quiet for an hour or two. 😁 Bob.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Being a VW man through and through I can only discuss that marque. We've owned and used VWs since 1977 and currently use a 2016 LWB High-top T6 which I converted from new ex-dealer pre-reg vehicle.
My choice of this spec is because...

LWB gives about 14" extra space over the more normal VW conversion.
High-top again for more space, is quieter and warmer than an elevating roof vehicle.

For us the high-top gives no storage or parking problems.

Current usage (virus excepted) is day to day transport plus at least two five week sorties into Europe to roam as many quiet rural places as we can find.

As you will see from my signature I have done all of this quite a few times and have perfected exactly what we want from PVC.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
VW reliability and build quality is overrated. It was quite costly to maintain. From the forums it seems that the T5s were no better and perhaps worse. I don't regret the change from VW to FIAT. The FIAT X/290 dashboard in piano black is classy enough. The dials are harder to read but apart from that no real drawbacks.
vws reliability vended with the demise of the t4, t6s have a terrible reputation in the motor trade

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Lots of sensible ideas already. One option, if the thought of converting something yourself is a step too far, is to consider getting a converter to do something to your spec. I think East Neuk Campervans will do this and possibly some others such as Wildax.
Enjoy the search!
Paddy

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
We had a VW T4 California for 10 years and it was ideal for us at the time and easy to live with. Our trips lasted up to 3 weeks. The limit related to available holidays. We could have toured in it a lot longer.

Now we have a 5.4m Rapido V43 on a FIAT (no longer made by Rapido). The next size up the MH ladder. Relatively easy to park both on the drive and at the supermarket. Enough storage and payload for our needs. Of course you get more room in the longer 6m and 6.4m PVCs but all have some layout compromises and payload trade-offs so they suit different owners according to their priorities. Don't buy a PVC with only 3,300 kg MTPLM, look for 3,500 kg which most should have.
Having run several VW T5’s along side other owners. I can tell you they were a nightmare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back