First post - and some advice if I may? (1 Viewer)

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
My first experience of camping was 16 nights in a fully converted T5 - I survived

After a while I wanted something bigger, so used my experience of the T5 to design my own van, bought a suitable van and had a local conversion company to convert it to my specification - 5 years on and it's still the perfect van, for me

As others have suggested, use what you have and work out what is good/bad about it (no toilet would be a no from me)
Have a good look at other options, go to a show/look around loads of dealers, then maybe hire a something that appeals

We are all different, a mate had a VW T4 that was his pride & joy. He met a lady and, after a bit of courtship, took her for a weekend away in it - Absolute disaster!!
When questioned about her weekend, her main quote was "I could even stand up in it enough to get my knickers on!"
They are now married with 2 kids - the van went about a week after the weekend away!

Don't rush it - especially as Covid is a bit of a spoiler at the moment

Good luck in your quest for the perfect Moho - that said, the word that describes every motorhome ever built is 'compromise'

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Making a bed every night becomes a chore assuming your over sixty i think you will need more room than a t 5 offerswe went from make up bed then fixed bed in a lwb panel van conversion to a fixed bed motor home i cant see us going back any time soon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
Noneā€¦ā€¦..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Welcome from Ciren! (y)

.......and get a ā€˜van with a fixed bed, toilet and shower!;)

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
:pink:

We use our own facilities all the time. Even on a decent site itā€™s preferable for us to have our own toilet. We do use site showers if they are clean.

We have a fixed bed, no way would I have anything else.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We also use our own facilities. We sometimes stay on sites but never use their toilets or showers.

GirlyVanGirly

Free Member
Nov 21, 2020
Beside the Seaside, beside the Sea! East Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
18 months
Welcome, We are waiting for our new (first van) but our 'must haves' were toilet and shower, and not having to make up a bed every night, if we didn't want to... we will have the choice of 2 single beds or making up a double, so during the day its two long sofas. I think you really limit your choices of where to go/stay without your own loo!

Alfie159

Free Member
Mar 11, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 2019
Exp
Hi my first van was vw California T6, upped to fiat Adria twin which a lot of vw follows go to as shower n loo but still standard driving license.

few years in with growing needs and grandkids/ guests occasionally weā€™ve decided to go up again so a BĆ¼rstner on order for may/ June time.

check out fiat Adria twins... cool but more mod cons and no crafter price levy !!!

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
At the very least, a shower is the ideal place to dry dripping coats and brollies, plus the screen cover if it's been used and you're setting off for home/somewhere else before the day has dried it out, if the day's ever going to do that. It does rain all over the continent of Europe as well as in the UK ! Neither of us can last all night without having to get up for a wee, these days. And so much easier first thing in a morning anyway with your own facilities a step away from the bed!

In 2009 it was trying to take down the inner tent of our dome tent on a French campsite at 8.30am one July and having to come out to stick my head between my legs to stay un comatose whilst husband fetched the car from the site carpark to load it up to go home and a bloke in a brand new motorhome next door but one, cheerily telling me the control panel above his habitation door inside, said it was 32 degrees and 79% humidity, that made me say I was getting too b old for camping! (which we'd both been doing for donkeys years)

Within 3 weeks flat we'd bought a motorhome and were back in France ....

OP
OP
Wadski

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Hi my first van was vw California T6, upped to fiat Adria twin which a lot of vw follows go to as shower n loo but still standard driving license.

few years in with growing needs and grandkids/ guests occasionally weā€™ve decided to go up again so a BĆ¼rstner on order for may/ June time.

check out fiat Adria twins... cool but more mod cons and no crafter price levy !!!
Yes I've been looking at Adria twins this weekend online. They look ideal....just can't seem to find one for sale - are you part exchanging yours for the burstner?

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. šŸ‘

Wyn

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I bought a new white van and designed the inside myself after thinking hard how we would use it. So end lounge which converts to double bed. Shower/toilet, Wallas diesel hob/heater and electric water heater, no gas. We have swivel drivers and double bench seat and table can be fitted either end of van. We tend to sit in the lounge in winter and during the summer we sit on the swivel seats with side door open. having the swivel seats gives you extra habitation space.
You need to think about how you would use the van, will you be camping off grid, if so you need at least your own toilet, if you are likely to use camp sites then after the lockdowns end you will be able to use their facilities. Showers are handy but not necessarily going to be used a lot as you have to get it dry after( always a worry about damp) stand up washes are the norm, in our van. The shower/toilet makes a great drying room for wet clothing.

The most important thing to consider is room height if you have a pop up then you can stand but at night you effectively sleeping in a tent so not great in winter, a PVC or Motorhome will give you the height and should not cost a fortune to keep warm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back