First post - and some advice if I may? (1 Viewer)

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Thank you for allowing me to join this group, I've been reading the forum for a while and joined today, lots of valuable experience here and I hope you don't mind my first post asking for advice.
My wife and I currently own a VW T5 with a full size bed and insulation and carpet but nothing else (I have an awning too) but we've used it probably 5 weekends in 6 years, mostly due to work and other commitments (I used the van for work too).
I've now taken early retirement and as my wife doesn't work either we'd like to do some UK and European travel once restrictions allow.
So my big question is, do I spend money on getting the T5 fully converted or would we be happier in a purpose built motor home with all the mod cons? We looked at a Pilote 740 FGJ which I think would suit us very well but the difference in purchase of a new van versus the conversion cost of my existing van would be around Ā£40,000 - which seems a lot of cash for luxuries such as toilet and shower.
So my question is this. How do others feel about the need to be fully self sufficient when touring? Do others use the shower/toilet in their motor home in preference to those on site (coronavirus issues aside)?
I just want to make the right decisions before making the leap either way.
Thank you for your time šŸ˜Š

Steve

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

We site facilities, unless during the nightšŸ˜‰

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi welcome.(y)

only you can answer your questions really.

ask yourself what do we want to do with this van, how do we want to live when we travel, will we use sites with all the facilities, will we use aires or wild camp.
how much room do you want
how much storage do you want
where are you going to travel

all if this is your choice and decision an will directly affect what you need.

Layout is everything IMHO.
a close second is Payload

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We always use our own facilities. Wouldn't dream of having a MH without toilet and shower. We mainly tour in Europe using aires and in order to that you need your own facilities. When we use the MH in the UK we tend to use rallies where, again, you need your own facilities.

You will find that people on the forum will definitely be split on this question! You will get people who always use on site facilities; those who sometimes use site facilities but not always and those, like us, that always use our own facilities.

So you can see it's up to you to decide what is the right way for you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
It really depends on how you are going to use your van, what countries, time of year etc.
Outside of southern Spain and Southern Portugal, very few campsites open in the winter so you need to be south sufficient.
If you are going to use your van in the cooler northern areas of Europe in the winter you need a fully winterised van with good insulation, it would be difficult in your T5.

We use Aires & wild spots, rarely use sites so a shower & loo are essential for us.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Depends on the type of travelling that you like to do.
Almost hardly ever use a site, unless away in Spain for the winter.
We prefer rallies, shows, Aires (when overseas) etc
Having our own on board facilities means we can choose to stay in some very varied places. (y)
You dont have to start off at Ā£40k plus.. Buy something to get you started, see how it goes and if all good then upgrade, especially after you have met and chatted with like minded people.. :cheers:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
With a basic bed in a van, you are really tied to using sites with facilities and what have you, A fully equipped motorhome is literally a fully self contained home on wheels. Both have their own charms but not really comparable. Then you have the thorny issues of space and how well you get on as a couple. The random odd weekend is different to touring and will likely involve being stuck indoors for hours or days on end during bad weather. I often say it is like being in a prison cell and you will soon test your relationship.

We have camped in all sorts over the years and as we get older, the more we appreciate having full comfortable facilities within our own vehicle. Even without covid, some people can be disgustingly dirty and using facilities like showers and toilets after them is a health risk. We use all our own facilities and can set up in a remote field anywhere

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under the current Covid problems some sites are only allowing units with full facilities ie toilet and sink minimum. Personal opinion is that these, along with a bed, are the basic necessities.

Skez

Free Member
Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
Totally personal choice, but, we couldn't do more than a weekend in a T5 type van without facilities. We always use our own washroom / toilet facilities. If you don't have such facilities you are largely tied to using 'proper' campsites - which wouldn't be our choice, but may well be yours.

Good luck and whichever way you jump, have fun!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Our first van didn't have on board loo / shower - the 2nd, 3rd and 4th ones have. :)

Number 2 had a drop down over cab bed arrangement plus 2 "make up" beds. We often left the rear make up bed made up and used the dinette as a lounge. Vans 3 and 4 had fixed beds.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Think a toilet is an essential, even have one in my doblo, well a small thetford anyway, more essential as one gets older too. Miss the rear lounge and front dinette of our first van, in the Laika, but am sohppy with a lovely onboard shower, which works as agreat drying area for clothes in inclement weather. As others have said, it all depends on how you are gong to use it, wouldn't dream of going off for a few weeks in th doblo though, at least not with John, or anyone else for that matter.

Oops forgot :pink:

OP
OP
Wadski

Wadski

Free Member
Dec 1, 2020
Oakham
Funster No
MH
Globecar PVC
Exp
Wow, what a fantastic forum this is, so many replies already. Thank you all and it looks like I now have a T5 for sale šŸ˜
I'll be in touch again once we've chosen a van as I'm sure we'll have lots more questions.
Thanks again
Steve

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
How do others feel about the need to be fully self sufficient when touring?
As others have said, absolutely essential for us, it gives you the option of sites or aires.

When we bought our Inca we first looked at the small VW offerings, but quickly came to the opinion they seemed fine for a day out, or more if using site facilities, which didn't suit our plans.

Just to add, we spent less than Ā£23,000 in March 2017, and it does everything we could want.

Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Layout, layout, layout and then payload, and :welcomesign: to the FUN.
You will be restricted to five posts only unless you pay the mind blowing sum of Ā£15 to become a real one of us (y)

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I would recommend hiring just for a short while, different options. We had a T4 conversion on a long wheelbase and with a fixed hightop that gave us a washroom and toilet across the rear of the van. We were able to comfortably tour europe for 6 weeks at a time and to stay both in Uk and in Europe in places without full facilities on site. Especially in Europe the options for overnight stops in lovely locations are so much more if you have a loo and somewhere to wash. For longer trips the washroom area is invaluable for the occasional wet/muddy clothes wether from walks in the rain or doing the washing.
Donā€™t forget stops enroute too, it is so much easier and nicer to pull over somewhere with a view and put the kettle on knowing you have facilities, than having to stop at services.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Wow, what a fantastic forum this is, so many replies already. Thank you all and it looks like I now have a T5 for sale šŸ˜
I'll be in touch again once we've chosen a van as I'm sure we'll have lots more questions.
Thanks again
Steve

remember..

Layout & payload ;)

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Think seriously about the sleeping arrangements
My wife insists on a made up bed and it works for us as I tend to go to bed to read and leave her watching TV.
Also consider the type of bed. Any bed with a ladder would be no good for us and we would not have a bed where you have to climb over your partner to go to the loo in the night. (transverse)
Big decisions- but first you must have the time to use it.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
We looked at a new VW T6.1 but converted professionally - it worked out at over Ā£52k [no proper loo or washing area], then found almost exactly what we wanted 2 yrs old, 9k miles with separate shower and full size permanent bed. Only problem we've had is Covid and leaving it sat doing nowt.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Thanks again
Steve

Hold your horses don't get to excited to spend your cash.

As you have used your van so little why not give it a full summer and see how you cope. You may find that you don't want to be stuck together in a tin can for long periods of time or find that you love the whole concept sell your house and spend the kids inheritance.

I have a PVC Fiat - with bed loo, shower etc - and a old lady electric step as my VW van owner friend calls it.
I am not saying don't buy a MH or keep your T5, that choice is yours but my parents first van was a return that had been custom made for a couple and after the first trip (under 1000 miles) decided it was not for them. My mother got all that she wanted, my father got a great deal from the dealer as they were first on their list of customer contacts.

An the original couple lost a fortune and nearly divorced

But don't listen to me I was bored in work on a Wednesday afternoon it appeared on ebay at 4pm by 4.45pm I was undertaking a 3 hour drive 'just to look and not do anything silly' that evening the deposit was paid and picked her up the following week.

As RiverbankAnnie says hire first and try before you buy. see you out there soon :welcome4:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi and welcome, as others have said it really depends on what you want to use the van for. If you donā€™t have a loo and shower youā€™ll limit yourself to where you can stay as youā€™ll always need to use a site, if you donā€™t fancy a full size MH then take a look at a PVC (panel van conversion) we had a Globecar but loads of manufacturers do them now.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2004
Not a chance me.
I had the old van in the past, and it was a shed!!
shower and toilet on board all the way for me, I hardly ever use site facilities now, then add some good batteries a solar panel or 2 and an invertor and it then really is a mobile home :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back