Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi everyone, right think we are ready for our first overnight stay. Checked the van this weekend on the drive making sure I understand everything. Going to try & get to a campsite down The Gower , Swansea to try it out this wknd . Just need to get a heavy duty dog peg that will hold a 15 st gentle giant Mastiff . I haven't yet got breakdown cover as my bank only covers motor homes up to 3.5 tonne mine is just under 3.9 can anyone recommend breakdown assistance, think it would be wise!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Jeez, 15 stone, Lola weighs 50 kg, just under 8 stone o_O

IMG_0257.JPG

whatever breakdown service you do get, I would suspect they will not take the dog :(

but we found best value for over 3.5T was RAC via Camping and Caravanning Club, although lots seem to get it included in their motor insurance (y)

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Wonder how the breakdown service would know/notice if your 3.5 tonne van had been uprated?

Your 3850 kg up plated van might only weigh in at 3300 kg because you'd just emptied it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Helen Calow

Helen Calow

Free Member
Jan 19, 2017
Carmarthenshire,Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I did think of that but the weight is under the bonnet & it clear so not too sure if that would work. I am more concerned leaving the vehicle in a remote area . Got plenty of family that can pick us up including Hugo. Will ring my insurance company tomorrow to give them the first opportunity but thank you very much for your kind advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just remember some breakdown companies will not allow dog to either travel in the van or the tow vehicle when recovering you,,check,, BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Re dog tether
Take a look at
Delta dog peg or tether can't remember what the actual description is
But if you Google delta dog tether you should find it
Excellent bit of kit for the pooch

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you have a tow ball it works well but you have to remember to unhook the dog before you move off..(y)

Upvote 0

Paul an Jane MK

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2016
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
enjoyed the freedom over the last couple of years but still Wish we could have got away more often
Friend of mine had a horrific crash on motorway in his brand new Moho, not remotely his fault driver hit his rear quarter spearing him headlong into central barrier.

Police and recovery attended, recovery driver refused to take dog in cab said he had to travel on his own inside dark motorhome where he had what was probably his scariest experience minding his own business in his cage.

My mate had to get pretty angry and pretty much threaten to walk dog up hard shoulder and copper could arrest him then he would have to put his dog in the police car.

That was a soppy brown retriever.

To add insult to injury he had to spend an hour helping to get Moho on back of truck as both front wheels smashed and recovery driver had not got a clue what to do.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We just put a loop around the step arm that does the trick just be careful the lead doesn't trip you up

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back