First overnight in France (arriving after dark) (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Didn't really think this one through too well when I booked the chunnel

Determined to get as many days away as possible, due to a meeting at home on first day off we can't leave till 12:00 in Derbyshire, so booked the crossing for 19:00, hoping to be there by 18:00 and get an earlier crossing, but we go on 21st Oct and by 20:00 it is going to be totally dark when we come off

so, question, where to stop?

1. Citie de Europe, not my first choice never done it, but see others do

2. Drive down peage to Baie de Somme service area just north of Abbeville, we have stopped there many times, in the well lit bit by the main building, free wifi, good for a few hours till daylight, I don't believe all the tales regarding theft / gas etc

3. Try to find an aire in the dark, not been to any so is it realistic to arrive late, are they likely to be full at that time of year can you get in to most after dark

4. anybody else done something different that might suit

David

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We arrived late and stayed at Neufchâtel-en-Bray in June.. Nice aire

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

This is on my list of possible options based on other comments, but still an hour from Calais, so arriving in dark after 9:00, is this really acceptable?

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We have stayed at Aire de Baie de Somme many times both when we carvanned and with the MH. There is a fairly large aire at Boulogne, it's in All the Aires, that time of year there should be plenty of room

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We drive out of docks and go back into car park where the booking offices are and park near to the police station at Calais,,,never had a problem....BUSBY..

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
This is on my list of possible options based on other comments, but still an hour from Calais, so arriving in dark after 9:00, is this really acceptable?

Camping St Clare at Neufchâtel-en-Bray is a good 100 miles from Calais, so rather more than 60 minutes. And don't forget the extra hour time difference. However, it is a great spot and the aire there should be OK to arrive late.

Baie de Somme every time for us. But we always overnight in the area signposted 'Caravans', right on the edge of the service area, rather than in the MH-designated parking. Yes, it's unlit, but it's also peaceful and an attractive setting. We've never had any problems and periodically see the police patrol around in the evening. Plenty of MHs there, but we've always managed to get in. It is out of range for the free wi-fi, but we often park by the service centre for a while when we first arrive, so we can use the internet if we want to. Oh and it's about 60 miles from Calais, so about an hour from the tunnel - but at least you can turn up any time. We stayed there both ways on our most recent trip earlier in the month.

We've also used Cite Europe in the past without problem, but at the moment we felt it was best avoided for peace of mind.

Have a great trip, whatever you decide.

Mike

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks all, missing my thanks button again tonight

upload_2014-9-30_22-46-47.jpeg

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Baie de Somme every time for us. But we always overnight in the area signposted 'Caravans', right on the edge of the service area, rather than in the MH-designated parking. Yes, it's unlit, but it's also peaceful and an attractive setting. We've never had any problems and periodically see the police patrol around in the evening. Plenty of MHs there, but we've always managed to get in.

Thanks Mike

I know just where you mean, did use it with caravan some years ago, now slightly more cautious, it really is dark down there, walked Lola (our dog!) down the wooden platform last time there, nearly fell in water it was so dark :)

It will probably be Baie de Somme again for convenience, easy drive etc, hadn't checked mileage to Neufchatel, will maybe save that for way home (y)

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Overnight from Calais sand dunes on D940 just pass vvf holiday camp and base nautique sangatte. unmade road and usually a few vans present and safe. from the tunnel come 0f jnc 42 and pass Auchan supermarket heading towards the sea, roundabout turn left, few hundred yards dune oh r/side you will see radar. great spot.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
out of the station,follow mway for ten mins towards Dunkirk turn off at sign for gravelines ten minutes to the port, job done

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living

I can echo this, arrived 11pm in Auguest pleanty of space, only 30mins or so further on than Baye sde Somme and much much safer. good for fuel next morning, easy to find off of motorway.

Its more than an hour more like 1 hour 30mins to 1hour 45mins

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you have the All the Aires book ( and you should have) look at Wissant or Tardinghen Farm. Less than 30 minutes from Calais and easy to get back to the A16.
We tried to get into the aire at Wissant on Monday night around midnight and it was full. It seems very popular but later this month it might have spaces. We we there towards the end of last October and it was almost empty. The aire at Tardinghen Farm ( ignore the picture in the aires guide, its a lovely place with terraced grass parking, EHU if you need it too) is easy to find and a lovely spot and there are always spaces. Bonus is a great view of the channel when you wake up.
Allan

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
don't know how experienced you are at driving on the wrong side but this is another plus for gravelines, there's no crossing over or anything you are on the right side of the road all the way to the turn off then just a quiet road in to the port

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
don't know how experienced you are at driving on the wrong side but this is another plus for gravelines, there's no crossing over or anything you are on the right side of the road all the way to the turn off then just a quiet road in to the port

Been to France a few times, prefer not to drive in the dark, but no issues with wrong side of road, but will look this one up as an option, it seems to get plenty of mentions

My real worry is messing around at an aire late at night, if it full when I get there disturbing those on site then still needing to find somewhere else etc. All part of getting used to using aires I guess

We are coming off the chunnel at about 20:00 looking to stop for first night, on way home I have booked a more sensible crossing time :)

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
If heading south from Calais we have often spent the night on the car park of the Auchan Hypermarket at Boulogne St. Martin.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Cite Europe.. It's easy and close, ideal for a quick bed down...
We have stayed many many times with no issues...
I drove trucks on nights for a few years but I always prefer not to drive at night in France unless I really have to.. Poor lighting. no cat's eyes and you never know the state of other drivers who have just either come off a ferry/train and racing around..

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Thread bookmarked for when we do much the same next May. Thanks for asking the question David & I would add my thanks to everyone for their replies.

tim22es

Free Member
Aug 15, 2013
torquay
Funster No
MH
Hobby 700
Exp
Stayed at Cite Europe in August and came home early, due to having my van targeted by foreign hitch-hikers. Stayed there before no probs, but would say clear Calais to avoid any potential unexpected guests!! Mind you they would be a bit miffed hitching a ride on your outbound journey!!!!

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Stayed in the Cite Europe in July on the way out and back.

No problems whatsover, that would be my first choice.

That extra hour or so to the Baie may seem like a long time if you're tired.

Also plenty of places to eat or drink at Cite Europe

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Stayed in the Cite Europe in July on the way out and back.

No problems whatsover, that would be my first choice.

That extra hour or so to the Baie may seem like a long time if you're tired.

Also plenty of places to eat or drink at Cite Europe
same goes for gravelines

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
We stayed at the St Claire's aire. We had an hour delay on chunnel and ended up doing the latter part of our journey in the dark. Took us a while to find St Claire as were looking for somewhere else. We arrived around 2215 local time, never used an aire before so were slightly foxed for a few mins, then I remembered to use my french and read !! Barrier was automatic, take ticket, drive through, present ticket next day. Think was either 10 or 11 euros week fore last, inc ehu. Lovely little aire, got all you need for a kip. We used our Clarity card as I think it was card only ? I'll attach our pic .....

Attachments

• 10355902_10152347337816453_421292479705364495_n.jpg
    10355902_10152347337816453_421292479705364495_n.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back