Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Well being total beginners and only picking up the motorhome last thursday we did not really have the opportunity to plan for the Bank holiday weekend. After a couple of day trips we are happy with what all the knobs, switches and valves do, so yesterday thought we would book a couple of nights out over Bank Holiday with hook up, to try running on external power.

No chance! 6 million MH pitches with hook up, and every one of them taken! Note to self - if you want to go away bank holiday book early!

I suggested we just go to the lakes and find a layby and car parks, since it is only 2 nights. Seems it is too early to be that brave for SWMBO, though I was reassured by reading some of the posts on here.

End result - Sunday night at St Neots without electric. At least we get to test the beds and to experience a site, so all is not lost.

Hope you all have a fun bank holiday weekend

David

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
So? How did it go? Don't leave us hanging, please. Hope you really enjoy the experience. It might be worth coming to one of the meets if one is local as there will be lots of us there to help you with any questions or probs that crop us. Would be great to meet you both:thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
not gone yet - the pitch is booked for this coming Sunday :Smile:

As for the meets, will keep an eye open for the opportunity..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
CL's

Are you a member of the Caravan Club as their CL's are all over the place and worth a try?
We use them all the time and great for a few days out!

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
David
Try again on fri or Sat as loads of people book then cancel so might be a few pitches free nearer weekend.
Have fun and waiting to hear how you got on bet something gets forgot or goes wrong:ROFLMAO: it did with me and still does:ROFLMAO:

Gerry

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi DBSilverfox i hope you enjoy your 1st trip away in your motorhome , hope to see you on the rally field some day :Smile:

Ash

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks for the encouragement and advice :Smile:

We are members of C&CC, and we looked through every entry, even those we did not want to go to :Doh:

Good advice though - hold your nerve and leave it till cancellation time. Not sure my wife's blood pressure would take it, but it definitely makes sense.

As for forgetting things, i guess it is almost guaranteed, though I seem to be cutting down trees to make lists...

Onwards and upwards - weekend nearly here :thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You will love it at st Neots try to get near the river i expect you will anyway without leccie lovely to see the boats going up and down the river, its true if you can wait till the day lots of cancellations usually, can get in but I dont like leaving it till late myself either:winky:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
well based on the advice I might phone St Neots on Saturday and see if I can get a pitch with electric - just want to try everything once - then I can relax :winky:

All the best

David

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
we have booked nights without electric and turned up and they have usually found us electric if we say we want it, they usually keep a few " in hand" as they say

ddavewoods

Free Member
Jan 9, 2010
South West
Funster No
Exp
we are off to CC site at Hillhead Brixham from Sunday to Thursday next week with kids and dogs, will be flying the FUN flag for the first time :Smile:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Sounds great! hope the weather holds out for you

Dalek

Free Member
Apr 26, 2010
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 600
Exp
18 months
Worth a look tomorrow to see what availability may of come up. We wanted a long weekend at Grafham Water but could only get the Sat night, when I looked later in the day they had had a cancellation so we got our long weekend after all. We are staying home this BH due to sailing committments the following 2 weekends so enjoy your time away and we may see you on a Funsters meet sometime.

Dale

Mandaxxx

Free Member
Feb 19, 2010
Wherever we stop.
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We are off to Llangollen, C&CC THS unless the weather looks abismal then we might go East, depends which way the wind blows, that's the beauty of a MH!
Join a club prob Caravan Club their Clubsites seem cheaper than the C&CC. then keep an eye on the Temporary Holiday Sites, cheap & cheerful-tou won't get electric but for a couple of nights it shouldn't be a problem especially if you've got a Fred on the roof (our nickname for our solar panel) he's always drinking!!!:ROFLMAO:

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Envious

Really envious off you lot "swanning off" for the weekend.
Sadly can't get away in the van till 10 June but have 2 grandsons to keep me occupied for the next week exploring N Yorkshire. Lets hope the sun shines for us all.:thumb:

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
You will soon get used to the systems of booking. You can of course wait until last minute and see if their are any cancellations, as you will hear a lot on here, people book several sites for the same period and then go to the one they prefer and don't cancel the others. Strange habit I know but there you go :Doh: The other tip is to plan ahead early. I am in both CC and C&CC and plan to go away every fortnight on weekenders, so about February we select our sites and as soon as the bookings open we get in there and get them booked. I know that this takes some of the spontaneity out of the freedom of camping but everyone and their dogs seem to enjoy this recreational pastime these days, hence shortage of pitches if you leave it too late.

Just enjoy :thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks big Momma. It is a question of getting into the swing of it I am sure. Maybe a bit masochistic but the learning part is as much fun as I know it will be when we are totally at ease with the process, and go with the flow.

this group is so much help as well :thumb:

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
Thanks big Momma. It is a question of getting into the swing of it I am sure. Maybe a bit masochistic but the learning part is as much fun as I know it will be when we are totally at ease with the process, and go with the flow.

this group is so much help as well :thumb:

I have been M'homing now for 12 years and I am still asking questions from the many experienced forum members :winky: I was not blessed with a mechanical or technical mind so am very grateful to those that are. However, just having the experience of Motorhoming sometimes means that you can answer other's questions. That can happen after your first 2-3 trips, it may be recommendations for a site, a technical problem that happened to you which you got resolved in fact anything at all. So, now you are a Motorhomer, be prepared to share your wisdom and experience ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back