First night away (1 Viewer)

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Just to update. We did it and spent a night near castle Howard (not too far away) but ended driving for ages as lots of diversions something hubby was not happy about. I must say all other MH waved so I waved back as hubby concentrating on the very small roads. Did not forget anything either. Megan the old girl was not happy and would not come out of her small basket, drink or eat. I am sure she will get used to it. We just made sure we were not on top of each other and giving us space. Thank you all for all your advice for us to get away even for one night

Attachments

• IMG_2454.MOV
    6.5 MB

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Glad you enjoyed it. I'm sure the dog will get used to travelling in the MH. Do you keep the van at home? If you do, try letting her in there when you are pottering around in there, doesn't need to be a particular reason to be in there just to let her get used to going in and out. Things like checking you've got stuff in there for your next weekend away, cleaning or even just sitting down and reading a book. She might feel a bit happier in there if you're just doing something rather than actually going somewhere out of her comfort zone.

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Another good idea from funsters. I will keep on putting her in while reading the paper etc. Mind she was so pleased when we got home. She is an old girl but we were with her all the time. She even went on a lead for a pee and poop and when hubby did some bacon she left it for 20 minutes and then ate it. I kept putting water in her mouth. Now I will take her in and sit with her. Sometimes I wonder if my brain works at all as I never even thought of that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
It has some sort of white strip on at the back of the mirror and was not sure what they were there for. Wil we need to put them on the front as well

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Try putting your dogs bed and a couple of favourite toys from home in the van when you travel, worked well for us.

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
She has stopped playing with toys and when we take her to the vets we put her in a voyager for travelling (she would not entertain coming out of it in the MH). I put her favourite smelly bed in but she would not come out of the voyager. I will spend a couple of hours each day in it with her. She is an old lady chihuahua and likes routine. She even hates the lead but she went out with hubby. We just forgot the sausage to give her as well as her normal biscuits she has after the sausage. She only lost her sister last year and her mother this year and did not want to stress her out. We have never taken them away as daughter has looked after the girls but now there is only Megan we decided to take her. She survived and will keep on putting her in the MH to get used to it.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Our little dog travels on one of the seats on a seat belt harness. She has two thick memory foam beds underneath her to raise her up and help absorb any bouncing, with a cool mat on top of them to stop her over-heating from stress. The first journey was very stressful for her, with lots of panting. By the third time out, she loved it :) By being on the seat, she can see us, see out of the windows and is very relaxed now by the journeys :)

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Where did you get the cool mat from please?

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, good luck with everything, we don't have pets, it must be a different experience,lots to take into consideration 🤞

OP
OP
jolly

jolly

Free Member
Aug 17, 2021
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
Thank you all for your tips

Join us or log in to post a reply.