First motorhome, what accessories to buy? (1 Viewer)

paulweller84

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi,

I've just been buying the first few bits for our first motorhome, so far I've bought the hook up lead (and 3 pin converter), gas bottle, levelling blocks and my wife is taking care of kitchen essentials. What other things can everyone suggest to buy?

Paul

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
all depends on what sort of motorhoming you will do. We personally wild camp 99% of the time so we invested in some extra traction batteries and a battery 2 battery charging system with a gasit gas system.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
A watering can or similar container.. So at least you can fill water in any situation..

You have the basics, use the van first and you will soon get an idea of what you need or even see what other people have and go from there.. Also you find second hand stuff changing hands all the time if you can just wait...

I think we all have stuff that we bought thinking we need it and then never use it...

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Link Removed < here and then you will not only get full membership of Fun with all its advantages and also save money with Funster Discounts from the Trade members on here:thumb:

Peter

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I agree with Tonka,all the things I thought I needed but never,my shed and van is full of them!
Prob the best item I got was a 12 v lead for my Nintendo wii,now I can play football,golf,race,fish,shoot etc from the comfort of my own van.

Vlad

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
My best suggestion is to hold back on toys and gadgets until you have had a few trips and seen what you really need.

Watch other MHers as there are lots of options and opinions and they vary depending on what type of camping your doing, wild camping, all sites or varied. We do varied and use different stuff for wild camping to site camping,

However you will need levelling ramps, a hose, an EHU lead, door mat, kettle and kitchen stuff etc.

Enjoy:Smile:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I only started motorhoming in February, thought I had everything I needed until I met other fellow travellers and now I seem to be constantly buying things!

Plastic wine glasses are a must. I bought a rotary airer to compliment my washing line, saves on campsite drying fees (when sunny and dry of course, don't bother in the UK ha ha).

The other things I find useful are attachments for the hook-up cable to correct reverse polarity etc. I could go on for ever but, like the other funsters said, you will find out by experience. I'm a gadget man so i buy all kinds of crap :thumb:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Motorhome

First accessory is a trip to Wilko's and get a ring binder and a load of plastic wallets. Ideal for a copy of the log book, copy of tax disc, copy of insurance, copy of invoice etc and also as a dumping ground for all the print outs of Google maps, directions, campsite details etc.

We always have copies of all documents with us. More useful for overseas touring to be honest.

Russell

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I forgot to mention an ACSI membership if you are traveling abroad and intend to use campsites, its a discount card which pays for itself many times over. I also bought the ACSI DVD for your laptop, which is a lot easier than thumbing through the ACSI books for campsites, and can be used offline. Vicarious books sell several useful publications including the 'All the Aires' books.

Like I say, I could go on for ever and I have only been traveling since February...

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
One thing that was essential for me was a small wheeled waste water container, 24ltr waste tank from e-Bay £19.99, so I can leave the on board waste water tank tap open and the water will go in the container, that is far easier to empty as a lot of sites don`t have/awkward to get to, to empty onboard tanks, this tank fits nicely under the offside settee next to the second leisure battery, chocks, also 2 diffent lengths of arctic hook up cable, not bothering with ramps, my fridge works on a slope as my drive slopes both ways and is working fine on gas and electric. , 2 kettles, one gas and one electric, small cleaner, bottle/can opener,gas lighter just in case, ignitor doesn`t work, Torch, a few tools, and numerous other items you will find as you go along, we did have caravans for decades, so know what was needed in there. I also have a list, and cross off everytime go away that way don`t forget anything, although most stays in the MH apart from food and personal clothes.duvay type bedding is well worth the outlay, easier to unroll and store.Have fun. ::bigsmile:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Corkscrew/bottle opener ::bigsmile:

We find a bucket useful, can use it for washing if needed, OH can wash the bugs off the front of the MH if needed & use it to empty waste tank if needed & of course as an extra beer cooler if needed!! ::bigsmile:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
A pen and paper. Then, when you go away, you can write down anything you haven't got that you would like, and get it for next time. Simples!

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi,

I've just been buying the first few bits for our first motorhome, so far I've bought the hook up lead (and 3 pin converter), gas bottle, levelling blocks and my wife is taking care of kitchen essentials. What other things can everyone suggest to buy?

Paul

Stella and a BBQ Oh, and some wine for your wife!

Eddie

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have to agree that while it is tempting to rush out and buy every accessory that looks inviting, don't rush into it. And before thinking about a winter cover I would consider very carefully and look at previous threads regarding one. The consensus seems to be that rather than protecting it from anything they can tend to damage the surface by abrasion and hold in moisture leaving a covering of algae on the surface of the van. Ours stayed outside on the drive through the horrendous snow and ice the winter before last without any problem.

Wyn

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Although I'm in the process of buying our first motorhome, we've had the valuable experience of renting two this year, plus we're seasoned tent campers who have travelled in our Land Rover across a lot of the UK and France and Spain.

We're not taking any of our camping stuff across into the MH for starters. So, we've gone out and bought basics, such as crockery and cutlery and bedding where needed.

We've bought a Cadac to make the most of on-board gas. And I think that'll help keeping nasty niffs out of the MH when cooking stuff like bacon and sausages. And it helps keen some of the pleasure of cooking outdoors, weather dependant.

The one thing I will bring across is my Engel fridge. That's earmarked for my MH's garage once I get a suitable 12v socket in there. Very handy for wine, beer, ice cubes, stuff from our excellent local butcher, etc. I appreciate this item isn't a first-timer must-have, but damn they're good!! We bought ours very secondhand and much-travelled for £270 4 years ago and it's probably the best bit of kit we've ever bought. So handy at home, too.

Beyond that, the only advice I will give is to get decent, good quality knives and cooking utensils. My mood deepens considerably when cooking alfresco with cheap camping products. More than any other time, you need a saucepan that sits level and knives that are sharp. I've also taken a leap of faith and ordered a double-skillet. Not arrived yet and I've no idea if it will, but PayPal payment should give me some comeback on that.

Oh, and get good comfy camping chairs. Really take your time choosing them. You need to relax and a chair that gives you a bad back ain't nice.

Another thing are quick-drying microfibre towels. We've been using these for years and not only do they take up no space, but they're massively absorbent and they dry far quicker.

Sure I can think of more, but maybe there's a nugget of inspiration for you in my ramblings above.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
We have a small safe fitted and store all our vehicle documents, passports, insurances etc.

Saves having them all spread around the vehicle and also secure.

Ours cost about £45

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
A cover for the winter

NO, NO, NO, far better to use the motorhome through the winter, If you must lay up for winter I personally would never use a cover again anyway much prefer a good coating of Fenwicks overwintering fluid at least then the vehicle is still useable without messing about with a cover.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
My garage is becoming full of want it must have and good ideas
I think I should have garage sale of used once items
Most used things in our van
Corkscrew
Tin opener
Kettle
Frying pan
Wok
Small cadic barby
Pots pans plates cutlery
Take away menus
Biggest waste of space so far microwave bought 5 months ago not been on electric hook up since used once

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
A roll of that woven fabric stuff that stops things you put in cupboards skidding about on the shelves every time you move, which means you can have glass glasses and china cups without worrying! (I hate plastic cups/glasses with a bit of a passion) and a small spirit level unless there is one somewhere in the van, control panel or wherever.

It's a ruddy nuisance when you think you've got the van level then in the middle of the night when you go to the loo and hope to leave the door ajar and use the light from the control panel to guide you and the flipping door shuts to, on you!

I always work on the basis that they have shops wherever you are in the world, so if you suddenly find you haven't got a carving knife, you can go into the next LeClercs and treat yourself to a Sabatier! (get the steel at the same time - far superior to the ones they sell here) (and cheaper, ISTR)

Where did we buy these oven gloves Pete? The Euro shop in Le Crotoy dear !

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Welll.. while everyone else is gonna spend ALL your hard earned lolly for you, my suggestion is somewhat cheaper.

You say you have bought levelling blocks which says, like me, you like to have the van level

Either double bubble spirit level or my preference, a bulls eye level ( little round one. When the bubble is in the middle your level )

About £2.00 will see you right !

pegleg

Free Member
Aug 31, 2013
cheshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
12 years
bits and pieces

:thumb:I got some anti sleep mats just in case you get stuck in damp grass areas or mud like I got stuck when I started motorhome, and a front and side screen covers to keep the heat in for winter

OP
OP
P

paulweller84

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for all the advice. Some good suggestions there, going shopping today for a few bits, more informed now ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back