First MOT Beware (1 Viewer)

May 29, 2020
Ferndown, BH22 9sg, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Pepper
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all just had our first MOT on our Weinsberg Pepper and it FAILED.
Probably in many previous threads so sorry I had not read, I assumed would be OK
Our Weinsberg is on a Peugeot Boxer 2L 130 Blue with its terrible over protective and restrictive CAM bus system.

Failures.

1) The rear lights The Reversing light and the Fog warning lights are on the wrong side for the UK, needed re wiring and the lenses moving nearside to off side and visa versa. (most of the vans use will be in Europe so will we be stopped there for being the wrong way HA HA)

2) We had c hanged the head lamp and main beam bulbs for LED these were removed and changed back to halogen type as they said they could not align the beam to the correct spread. I had fitted type suggested by other motor home You Tube advice, when fitted I checked the beam pattern on black gates ant the alignment was good.

3) I had fitted LED bulbs in my rear indicators and although the rate of flashing on the outside of the vehicle was OK the flasher sound from the dashboard was fast (just as though a bulb had failed on a standard circuit) The reason for changing the rear was the original incandescent bulbs were not bright behind the lenses.

Although 2&3 above are my doing to improve the lighting all should be aware, if they have changed to LED lights the new MOT upgrade will detect them and fail the MOT.
Number 1 however was easily sorted on our van as the lenses were interchangeable and the lights rewired. On some European vans the lenses may be an integrated unit which will have to be changed to a UK standard.

Thankfully the cost of the retest was no charge but the repairs did cost.

So be prepared and do the changes before the test.

I have done many mods on this van and have worked in electrical engineering all my career, but the CAM system on this vehicle bemuses me and seems to restrict any modifications, enough said.

We do love the van and can't wait to get up and go for it.

Hope this information helps some. No criticism please after 47 years of working life politics we are retired now and want the quiet life we deserve.

LOL Des&Dek

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Unless it's an import that suggests that the manufacturers are fitting the reversing and fog lights incorrectly and they've been the wrong way around for at least 3 years!

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A reversing light isn't necessary for mot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
1) The rear lights The Reversing light and the Fog warning lights are on the wrong side for the UK, needed re wiring and the lenses moving nearside to off side and visa versa.
There is no way it could have passed the import check so it has been registered illegally.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Our van will need MOTing, it's not been done for 2 years in July 😳 first the six month extension applied and now it's sorn. It wont fail on any LED lighting though.

Because it hasn't got any! 😍

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Friends PVC had this issue with the fog light
It was easier to rewire than trail to Fiat to reset cambus
Big issue was getting access to get light clusters off converters had not allowed for access to get to the fixings
Van was a RHD UK spected vehicle

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our van will need MOTing, it's not been done for 2 years in July 😳 first the six month extension applied and now it's sorn. It wont fail on any LED lighting though.

Because it hasn't got any! 😍
Same with ours. I keep thinking about doing it but like most jobs haven't got around to it. Logically we don't often drive in it in the dark!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We’re having news coming through for our classics that have had upgraded headlights, any change from the norm is being jumped on apparently.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
Led's for our vans are a good idea, but you must get the right types, on canbus systems you would need the resistive type, they mimic a incandescent bulb from the canbus point of view.
led's for headlights seem a good idea, but i have never come across any that would give an acceptable beam pattern, as yet, as in the main head lights are designed for incandescent bulbs, not led, sadly.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Our Imala is almost due for MOT. I am hoping it's all standard and sails through. Wont be messing with lights.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Led's for our vans are a good idea, but you must get the right types, on canbus systems you would need the resistive type, they mimic a incandescent bulb from the canbus point of view.
led's for headlights seem a good idea, but i have never come across any that would give an acceptable beam pattern, as yet, as in the main head lights are designed for incandescent bulbs, not led, sadly.
I've put LED's in my headlamps and the beam pattern is better, they are hella projector lamps, I belive if upgrading to LED's projector lamps give much better results.
I will leave them in for the MOT as in the projector lamp you can't see the bulb and my MOT guy is pretty laid back.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Ours has been for its first mot today in Spain its 4 years here then every 2 until its 10 years old, but this one a Pilote van fog and reversing lights both sides, as was our previous Rapido van.🤔 Bob.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Great post,very interesting.
Not that any of it actually applies to me.................I’ve still got candles in my headlights,but I’ve done away with having a guy in front with a red flag. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::rofl::rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
as in the projector lamp you can't see the bulb and my MOT guy is pretty laid back.
You don't need to see the bulb you can tell straight away by the whiteness of the light. You are lucky to be able to get away with it as here you've no chance at most itv stations.
mine came with led's in th reversing lights. Passed an itv 6 months after I bought it & when the tow bar was fitted. When I changed it to a camper van 6 months later it was due another & they spotted the led's . Had to take them out there & then & swop for normal bulbs.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Unless it's an import that suggests that the manufacturers are fitting the reversing and fog lights incorrectly and they've been the wrong way around for at least 3 years!
Which means the pre-delivery check was never carried out the OP should not have had to pay for this, the VW Camper we brought from a ‘professional’ conversion company failed to check the basics. As an example the fog lamp had never worked ( I noticed this in its 2nd year) and whilst the conversion had been sold via a VW dealer they had also failed to check the basics, turned out the fog lamp was switch off in software and a cable had a nick in it as well so they had two faults to fix the fog lamp. The original dealer had to pay our local dealer to fix the issue. I would suggest the OP goes back to the originating dealer and ask for them to contribute to the repairs

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I would have thought most vans for eu and gb would have twin wiring s should only have to change the lens over and one one wire in each used to have a caravan that had this

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back