First MoHo Purchase in France - What Do I Do? (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi everyone!

We're in France and about to purchase our first MoHo. Can anyone tell me what paperwork I need to make sure I get, please, and is there anything else I should do to register it as mine? Or anything else I need to do, please? I want to make sure everything is legal but I don't speak French and the seller doesn't speak much English :oops: Thank you for any help :giggle:

Jun 13, 2020
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML T570
Just found this, but no experience myself.

The buyer of a used car in France has certain obligations; make sure you know what you need to do to register your secondhand car...​

Before agreeing to buy a used car in France:

• Make sure that the series number stamped on the car matches that in the registration document (Certificate d’Immatriculation – commonly known as the Carte Grise) of the seller
  • Make sure that the seller is the legally registered owner of the car by checking on the Certificat d'Immatriculation and ensure that the seller provides a Certificat de Situation Administrative (commonly known by its old name of certificat de non-gage), which certifies that the car is not acting as security against a loan. This must be no more than 15 days old.
And this website refers to buying motorhomes specifically-

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Just found this, but no experience myself.

The buyer of a used car in France has certain obligations; make sure you know what you need to do to register your secondhand car...​

Before agreeing to buy a used car in France:

• Make sure that the series number stamped on the car matches that in the registration document (Certificate d’Immatriculation – commonly known as the Carte Grise) of the seller
  • Make sure that the seller is the legally registered owner of the car by checking on the Certificat d'Immatriculation and ensure that the seller provides a Certificat de Situation Administrative (commonly known by its old name of certificat de non-gage), which certifies that the car is not acting as security against a loan. This must be no more than 15 days old.
And this website refers to buying motorhomes specifically-

Thank you for this. For the website, though, I am a resident of the EU as I live in France :smiley:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Polly Buttons are you purchasing from dealer or privately? If from a dealer they will deal with the transfer of ownership and you should get a temporary carte gris ( certificate d’immatriculation)(log book) from them on the day of collection and the official carte gris should through the post in a couple of days which you need to sign for.

If however it's a private sale then things are a bit more complicated. The seller should give you the original carte gris crossed through with time and date of transfer and signed he should also give you the 'certificat de cession d'un véhicule d'occasion' and also required to provide the buyer with a certificat de situation administrative (previously called a certificat de non-gage) dated less than 15 days, confirming they have unencumbered ownership of the vehicle and that they can freely dispose of it.
Registration in your name can only be done online at https://ants.gouv.fr/ or via France Connect and you will need the following.
  • the existing registration certificate,
  • proof of identity,
  • proof of address.
  • payment of the registration taxes.
If you have problems using the ANTS system then there are professionals that can do the registration for you.

Bon courage.

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
elamessa Thank you so much for this! We're buying privately, so your reply is extremely helpful. We have used someone prior to register our truck that we brought over from the UK, so we'll use the same person as he was very helpful and cheap (y):smiley: Thank you again for your help!

Jan 19, 2020
Funster No
MH
DBM 7150
Exp
Since 2016
As noted above I thought there was a website where you can check the certificate on line. We're away from home at the moment so can't check. Bon courage

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Polly Buttons are you purchasing from dealer or privately? If from a dealer they will deal with the transfer of ownership and you should get a temporary carte gris ( certificate d’immatriculation)(log book) from them on the day of collection and the official carte gris should through the post in a couple of days which you need to sign for.

If however it's a private sale then things are a bit more complicated. The seller should give you the original carte gris crossed through with time and date of transfer and signed he should also give you the 'certificat de cession d'un véhicule d'occasion' and also required to provide the buyer with a certificat de situation administrative (previously called a certificat de non-gage) dated less than 15 days, confirming they have unencumbered ownership of the vehicle and that they can freely dispose of it.
Registration in your name can only be done online at https://ants.gouv.fr/ or via France Connect and you will need the following.
  • the existing registration certificate,
  • proof of identity,
  • proof of address.
  • payment of the registration taxes.
If you have problems using the ANTS system then there are professionals that can do the registration for you.

Bon courage.
Perfect and very clear instructions :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back