Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
hi funsters, back of my trial trip. first night at leek, ok, next three nights at ashborne, on pitch no 13???????. on electric hook up. nothing could go wrong, ha.
both batteries gradually lost power. red lights flashing and buzzers going off. nothing i did would change matters. the gas fire would light up but not the cooker or the fridge.
we sat and had sandwiches in the dark, phoned my son but he could not help. up all night trying to make sense of it all. decided to give up and come home a day early.
phoned green flag.....i had not but the motorhome details on the insurance. it would cost £180 for a sunday call out.
phoned fiat camper services who sent the rac within 30 minutes.
left the bus running while we backed up and then had a good run home.
back home both batteries were now charged and with the mains electric plugged in everything is back to normal.
were did i go wrong? i have no idea. but tomorrow i have some phone calls to make...........
regards pete.:Eeek:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
hi funsters, back of my trial trip. first night at leek, ok, next three nights at ashborne, on pitch no 13???????. on electric hook up. nothing could go wrong, ha.
both batteries gradually lost power. red lights flashing and buzzers going off. nothing i did would change matters. the gas fire would light up but not the cooker or the fridge.
we sat and had sandwiches in the dark, phoned my son but he could not help. up all night trying to make sense of it all. decided to give up and come home a day early.
phoned green flag.....i had not but the motorhome details on the insurance. it would cost £180 for a sunday call out.
phoned fiat camper services who sent the rac within 30 minutes.
left the bus running while we backed up and then had a good run home.
back home both batteries were now charged and with the mains electric plugged in everything is back to normal.
were did i go wrong? i have no idea. but tomorrow i have some phone calls to make...........
regards pete.:Eeek:
Sorry to hear your sad story hope you get it all sorted
I had problems with leasure batts going flat so i installed a 180W solar pannel and a bank of 5X 120AH batts with a 45amp mains charger not had any problems even on a two week wild camp
best £1000. i have spent on our RV :thumb:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
That's a shame you first outing didn't go like clockwork. You'll suss it out and either kick yourself for cocking it up or learn some new trick to avoid it in the future.

Get yourself a genny or at least some heavy duty jump leads, I carry both just in case.

Best of luck.......Griff

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Sounds like a faulty on-board charger to me. The alternator will have charged the batteries on the way home so even though you are plugged in at home they will show fully charged even though the charger may not be doing anything.

Upvote 0

RKE

Free Member
Sep 21, 2011
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Just sold ours!
Exp
Did you remember to turn the mains switch and RCD circuit on when you were connected to the EHU ?

If you didn't that may explain why your batt went flat as you were running solely on 12v dc from the aux batt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
by the book

thanks everybody for the support. everything was done by the book but although it was showing that the charging was working i could not prove it. even though the system cuts off to protect the batteries from becoming flat i ended up without a glimmer on the dashboard.
i will phone the dealer and sargents tomorrow for some information.
regards pete.

Upvote 0

niggle

Banned - Rule 1
Banned
Aug 5, 2010
SOUTH AND FRANCE
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
sorry to be negative phone,,,auto-trail :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
you will wait days for them to respond if ever.

phone sergent,,,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: they will ask,,how much you got.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
back to dealer

hi funsters.
had the bus on charge for twelve hours, no change in battery levels, taking it back to the dealers on friday, they think it is the charger that is not working, well fancy that..... watch this space.
regards pete.:Sad:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
hi funsters.
had the bus on charge for twelve hours, no change in battery levels, taking it back to the dealers on friday, they think it is the charger that is not working, well fancy that..... [HI]watch this space.[/HI]

I've been watching it for about eight minutes now what eventually happens?

Upvote 0

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
We're off to our first rally/overnighter on the 11th, so fingers crossed we dont have such an eventful time as yourself. Took us long enough to work out how not to set off the alarms everytime we moved. :Smile: Hope you get it all sorted soon.

Upvote 0

EthnGeoff

Free Member
Jan 13, 2010
County Durham
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
April 2009
You do have the onboard charger turned on don't you? Mine has a push button switch.:Confused:
Geoff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
hi funsters.
had the bus on charge for twelve hours, no change in battery levels, taking it back to the dealers on friday, they think it is the charger that is not working, well fancy that..... watch this space.
We have had ours replaced under warranty last year, similar problem. I have an independant charger I use for the vehicle battery, and we had a solar panel and additional leisure battery fitted. No problems with habitation battery since. I hope the replacement sorts it for you.

Upvote 0

philk

Free Member
Jul 21, 2011
Lancs
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Batteries

I have now taken to carryimg a mains battery charger. Schault ( spelling?) chagers fail as my 4 month old Pilote proves and sometimes starter batteries need a boost. A good autp Charger is £25 and will save a weekend or break away from being a failure.

Philk

Upvote 0
OP
OP
hedgefordpete

hedgefordpete

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
cannock chase
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
im a newbie
thanks

hi funsters, yep,the charger button was on , i sat up all night watching the green light.
i had left my battery charger at home.
i had not charged up my starter booster before leaving home.
beginners mistakes..........or maybe the site pitch, it was no13.........

and one for popeye, i ment for you to watch the space on friday evening.....

thanks for all your comments. funsters is the name of the game.

regards pete.:Doh:

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
hi funsters, yep,the charger button was on , i sat up all night watching the green light.
i had left my battery charger at home.
i had not charged up my starter booster before leaving home.
beginners mistakes..........or maybe the site pitch, it was no13.........

[HI]and one for popeye, i ment for you to watch the space on friday evening[/HI].....

thanks for all your comments. funsters is the name of the game.

regards pete.:Doh:

:Doh:.......Griff, does that mean I can stop watching now?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back