Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Ok nearly ready to buy my first MH and now the nerves have set in!

We want a U Shape or L shape lounge and have seen the one below, it is in our price range, in fact the company has two that i am interested in. Firstly I know nothing of the company and now getting a bit nervous in case I end up with a dog :)

What do you guys think of this one, price? condition? - the problem I have is there is no choice here in NI and expensive to just go for a look at different ones in England. Anyone live in chorley?:roflmto:

Link Removed

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Ok nearly ready to buy my first MH and now the nerves have set in!

We want a U Shape or L shape lounge and have seen the one below, it is in our price range, in fact the company has two that i am interested in. Firstly I know nothing of the company and now getting a bit nervous in case I end up with a dog :)

What do you guys think of this one, price? condition? - the problem I have is there is no choice here in NI and expensive to just go for a look at different ones in England. Anyone live in chorley?:roflmto:

Link Removed

Looks and sounds good but u ought to see it
:thumb:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Only comment I would make is that they could have had it for some time although I have had vans a long time in stock until the right person came along.

Bear in mind the van is 16 years old, no mileage quoted, no number of previous owners and it would appear no warranty offered and you are a long way away if you get problems.

Peter

''GRAB A BARGAIN CAMPER NOW before THE START OF THE SEASON.. THIS NEXT SEASON IS GOING TO GET EVEN HARDER TO FIND CAMPERS AT RITE MONEY AS EVERYONE HAS THE SAME IDEA OF SAVING MONEY AND THE HASSLE OF GOING OVERSEAS WHERE THE £ IS NOT WORTH A CARROT!''

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
SB Campers Ltd is a new one on me i don't remember ever seeing them when i was looking
for a motorhome and i only live 5 miles from Chorley.
I can't find a web site for them either

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
They only advertise on ebay (nought wrong with that)

Got good feedback.

I would look at them to buy.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They have several motorhomes if you ring they where directing you to a house as they said the yard was having security fencing put in, i went to have a look at a hymer earlier in the year. The vans didnt look too bad maybe a bit tired on the soft furnishings front on some with the odd knock on the bodywork.None of them i looked in seemed to smell of any damp, and it was february i was looking

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks folks. Yeah gotta be worth a look as they have two that I like. I'll make some more enquiries.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
If it was me I would look about more, as it makes me feel uneasy that they are directing folk to a house and not with their own workshops to check things over like most reputable company would, so no fall back if anything is wrong or not working

No mention if everything is working, alot of prev owners habitation checks etc

IMHO too much of great van quick before it goes sales pitch

As John Cross /Peter mentioned prob been around a long time
:thumb:

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks.

One has just came up local to me this morning!

compass commodore 1996, Mercedes Diesel Manual 48K, reckons 28MPG

Any views on the MPG and that year of Merc?

Last edited:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks.

One has just came up local to me this morning!

compass commodore 1996, Mercedes Diesel Automatic 48K, reckons 28MPG

Any views on the MPG and that year of Merc?

Hi I'm glad one has come up close to home, it is much better to be able to view with no committment to buy. mpg is always subjective as almost any fuel consumption is achievable depending on how heavy footed you are and what sort of roads you are travelling on.

Inspect your prospective purchase carefully, you need to have a good length of MOT and ideally some road tax.
Ask for habtitation reports but don't be surprised if there is none, so go with a damp meter and inspect areas around the door and windows and joints at top and bottom of the MH any readings much above 15% should be of concern.

Of vital importance ask how long ago the timing belt was changed. Mileage is not important as MH don't do a lot of mileage and the timing belts need changing at least every five years. If it has not bee changed recently then you can try knocking at least £500 off the asking price.

Also check the tyres - they may have plenty of tread but look out for cracks in the walls as they could indicate the tyre has perished and will need replacing.

Finally remember to look on the internet esp eBay to find out what the average price is of the vehicle you are looking at so you know what the vehicle you are looking at is worth to you.

Happy hunting - let us know how you get on.

Norman

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks Norman - great advice

It has one year MOT and 8 months tax. Our MOT is very very strict over here and done by Government centres so that's always a good sign.

I am going for a look at it tonight so fingers crossed! - my mate has a damp meter so bringing that with me

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
OOOOOOOOOOO now youve done it, the garden will never look the same again it will take on its own back to nature look.

Hope you enjoy many happy travels in your new to you toy,
going to be a dear time what with this must have and that must have gadget to buy :thumb:

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Well done glad you found your MH :thumb: Enjoy your motorhoming and now you have made some friends on MHF keep in touch. Try dropping into the chat room sometime and have some fun.

Norman

Yeah must do that. The excitement is killing me :)

MercManW123

Free Member
Jun 3, 2011
Essex England
Funster No
MH
Looking for a Merc Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi mate,

I'm in a similar position in that I'm about to buy my first MH.

What would be really useful is if you could keep myself (and a few others in a similar position) updated with:

- anything that you didn't look out for/missed during your inspection
- faults that have immediately developed (albeit I genuinely hope that there aren't any for you!)
- does it meet your requirements or is there anything that, on hindsight, you wish that it had
- which company gave you your best insurance quote

I hope that you have a great time in it - and every best wish for your future. :winky:

Regards,

Bal

OP
OP
Douzeper

Douzeper

Funster
Nov 23, 2010
Antrim, Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Hi mate,

I'm in a similar position in that I'm about to buy my first MH.

What would be really useful is if you could keep myself (and a few others in a similar position) updated with:

- anything that you didn't look out for/missed during your inspection
- faults that have immediately developed (albeit I genuinely hope that there aren't any for you!)
- does it meet your requirements or is there anything that, on hindsight, you wish that it had
- which company gave you your best insurance quote

I hope that you have a great time in it - and every best wish for your future. :winky:

Regards,

Bal

Thanks.

I don't mind doing that, I hope I have nothing to report :) - it will be a week before I pick it up.

One thing that was explained to me last night, as I live in NI and use UK insurers, I was told to use a Southern Ireland insurance company as then I will be covered for breakdowns etc there whereas some UK insurers don;t cover Southern Ireland.

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well done Douzeper, looks a great motorhome (I know that's not the one) and I think you've made a sound choice. Here's wishing you loads of fun and zero hassle for years to come.

billy

Free Member
Jan 10, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
since 2009
well done looks like you found what you wanted welcome to motorhoming:thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back