First MH layout question - End Dinette vs bunks (1 Viewer)

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
Hi Funsters,

Currently researching the best (or what we think is the best) layout for our first MH. We'd like to be able to put the 2 kids to bed (13yo boy and 10yo girl) and still have room to chill, drink play board games/cards etc. To this end we're looking at end bunks vs end dinette. I think it's pretty obvious that in bad weather the end dinette will provide good useable space for all, moreso than bunks. Although there is usually another table area toward the front of the MH in these layouts, is having both better when kids are involved?

Am I right in thinking the end dinette layout is easily used as 2 singles?

I also recognise that storage is very useful, and that end bunk beds tend to allow bigger storage when travelling if you fold the bottom bunk up.

Anybody have any experience with these layouts and could discuss the practical pros and cons please?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We have the Autotrail apache 700. Rear U lounge and front dinette with overcab bed.
Had 2 of these and previously a scout (same layout higher spec).
Have travelled with our grandkids ( who live with us fulltime ) since they were born, they are now 11 and 13 years old.
Have found this an ideal family layout mainly for the reasons you have stated. When they were young we could either leave them in the rear watching TV or put them in the large bed. We then had space to sit in the dinette area. On rainy days you have have the U lounge and some space to relax in, that would be limited if you had fixed beds with kids just lying in their own bunks.
When we travel alone it's nice to have the choice of leaving the U lounge as a bed or can make into a seating area.
On our 700 the rear seats would be ok as single beds for kids but to short for adults, even me and my short ass legs :D

This layout is usually seen on British vans, there are a few continental vans with it but very few.

Payload and storage is important, especially with 4 people on board. My 700 (2012) ticks those boxes with 730kg of payload and good rear locker space that goes right under the width of the van. Ref the storage and folding lower bunk, remember you still have to put all that stuff somewhere first to be able to use that bed. What if it's lashing down with rain or your doing an overnight stop not on a campsite.

c3e0691e58315c408f530f5e8431b2dbae2b475a.png

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would have thought an A class with twin single beds, kids go to bed you still have the full lounge and a really comfy drop down front bed for when you turn in.

This is our van
upload_2018-8-6_10-2-25.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Depends on budget, driving licence etc as to what would be best ... for a large MH you really need one over 3500kg which has the licence implications.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The classic British layout of Dinette up front and U Shaped Lounge in the rear is near perfect when you have kids. The ability to banish the kids to the lounge while you finish your wine at the dinette in peace was priceless (y)

Reactions: SMB
Upvote 0
OP
OP
born2bslow

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
The classic British layout of Dinette up front and U Shaped Lounge in the rear is near perfect when you have kids. The ability to banish the kids to the lounge while you finish your wine at the dinette in peace was priceless (y)

Ah the man the legend... I'm halfway through the buyers guide, very useful food for thought thanks :)

Once SWMBO is back on her feet next weekend we're planning a little trip around local second hand traders to do some tyre kicking... "Won't be buying for 6 months..." I must keep reminding myself of that mantra :)

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
"Won't be buying for 6 months..." I must keep reminding myself of that mantra :)
Whilst a good mantra in principle, there are just so many layouts and designs to choose from, some of which don't come on the market that often. Sensible to hold back, but if you spot exactly what you want, including engine, base vehicle and size; in addition to the layout - then perhaps you should be ready to jump sooner?

Six months time will be in the depths of winter - which has its advantages from a buying perspective - but autumn is good too, so suggest you keep an open mind on timescale.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
born2bslow

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
I was quoting the buyers guide but I think realistically given my/our combined lack of knowledge currently it might be sensible to avoid jumping into anything. I'm certainly finding that there are a lot of variations in layout and finding one that matches what we're looking for (especially when not 100% sure just yet) narrows the search a great deal. My biggest concern is going with a too good to be true deal that turns out to be a complete lemon.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
born2bslow

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
I've seen the side bunks before, I like that layout thanks. We're trying to stay below £30k, but I do like the look of the other one too.

What's the best way to price check?

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
I've seen the side bunks before, I like that layout thanks. We're trying to stay below £30k, but I do like the look of the other one too.

What's the best way to price check?
Ebay sold listings but all layouts are different and different with accessories so you have to value similarly - but similar models can have 5k difference on prices

Upvote 0
OP
OP
born2bslow

born2bslow

Free Member
Jul 31, 2018
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
OH... I got a lovely 2012 Apache 700 ready and waiting for a new family so i can buy my new Frankia / Rapido... ;)

Teasey Mctease face, details? Might be interested for the right price ;) let me just read up on negotiation in the buyers guide again....

and you're in Cannock, I'm only in Telford

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Teasey Mctease face, details? Might be interested for the right price ;) let me just read up on negotiation in the buyers guide again....

and you're in Cannock, I'm only in Telford

It may be helpful to put your location on your profile. Does come in handy when you ask questions as can help people recommend things nearby to you.
I will send you a PM / Inbox message keep a watch up the top right later..

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If your not planning on buying for a month or two I would suggest going to the show at the NEC this October, I know your budget won't get you a new one but it gives you a chance to see over 100 vans with loads of layouts. If you take the kids with you and try to imagine your staying in the van, try the beds, make sure you can fit round the table and all sorts of things. After this you should know what layout you like and might even get to know some dealers you could call later, we did this at one of the shows then bought the van we seen the following year.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If your not planning on buying for a month or two I would suggest going to the show at the NEC this October, I know your budget won't get you a new one but it gives you a chance to see over 100 vans with loads of layouts. If you take the kids with you and try to imagine your staying in the van, try the beds, make sure you can fit round the table and all sorts of things. After this you should know what layout you like and might even get to know some dealers you could call later, we did this at one of the shows then bought the van we seen the following year.

Ha, we went just to see what would be coming up on the second hand market in a couple of years ...... ended up putting a deposit down on a brand new van (and haven't regretted it one little bit).

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Make a list of the things you MUST have, not too many things.
Then a list of what you MIGHT want, again not too many things.
Now armed with this go to the MH show and spend a tiring day sitting in all the Mh's that meet your criteria.
Play laying in bed, getting up, washing, eating etc.
Think about luggage and payload.
Pick up brochures and when home talk about what you liked and didn't like.
You will be surprised by your decision.
Remember it's a big expense and you don't need to get it wrong if you take it slowly.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Leave your cards at home.
It's the best place to see and try a whole variety of manufacturers and layouts.
There are no bargains there all the discounts can be given at showrooms.
Told that by a sales person.
The longer you take looking and deciding the more of the chance of getting it right.
Ask questions, talk on the forums and get comfortable in what you need.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you do go to the NEC please don't take the kids, they will get fed up very quickly and you won't be able to do the 'research' in detail that you want to - also take drinks and packing up as food and beverages are expensive and not always good!

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Even if they don’t already, they will very soon not want to share a bed.

If you go for a rear lounge make sure you have sufficient leg room for those growth spurts, a number of rear lounges rely on taller people lying across the rear with the double made up, not as lengthways singles.

Upvote 0

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We've been to the NEC twice now and going again in October, we've been to 2 dealers and 2 converters and we've changed our minds so many times since we first started the whole process and we still haven't got to the point where we actually have the money to spend!

We already know there's nothing happening until next March, so it gives us plenty of time to change our minds, so be prepared to go to the NEC with firm ideas in your head and come away with something else entirely in there!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back