Fall2fast

Free Member
Oct 18, 2020
Galashiels, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
Quite nervously took our new MH out for the first time during the week, two days on the Northumberland coast not too far from the Scottish Borders where we live. Spent the day at Lindisfarne and stayed the night nearby on a farm with five hardstands with EHU. Fabulous, we loved every minute! First night we didn’t go anywhere near the Thetford toilet due to ignorance and a sneaking suspicion that it might have teeth. Managed to overcome this the next day and wondered what the all fuss was about.

Climbing into the driver’s seat I managed to bang my head on the over cab bed. You might think having done this once that would cure me. Not so, I persevered and did it so many times that I can’t remember anything that happened during the 1970’s. My better half suggested that I put the folding work top next to the bed away as I would do the same with this during the night. Wasn’t going to be told and lost the 1980’s sometime later. Stood on and destroyed my specs when trying to top-up the tyres with air. Despite all this I can’t wait to do it again, parking the MH overlooking Cocklawburn Beach (which we found by chance) was a real highlight. I understand that you aren’t supposed to wild camp in England but we were tidy, respectful and left early the next morning.

There was one final catastrophe, we almost made it all the way home before the pot of leftover bolognaise which had been stored on top of the worktop obeyed the laws of physics and gravity to end up on the floor, wall and mostly the carpet. Any irritation was outweighed by smugness that this episode had nothing to do with me. Looking forward to a longer and more adventurous outing soon and I’m pretty sure the smell of garlic and tomatoes will disappear in a year or two.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Not quite sure that the motorhoming experiment is for you :whatthe:

youll find the Theford has teeth when you go to empty it (yay it’s a toilet thread :) )

may I suggest you invest in a hard hat , cheap from Screwfix (other stores available) and a good supply of aspirin /paracetomol. shares in Specsavers may be beneficial if you must insist in checking your tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
I had lots of sympathy for you as I read your thread, up to the point where you mentioned you (or rather, your other half) had left the bolognaise on the worktop. "How stupid is that?" I thought to myself, and then I remembered that I was the one who left a plastic pot of Greek olives marinated in chilli & garlic-infused olive oil in the overhead locker of our motorhome. This duly fell on my head as I opened the locker, the lid came off and my golden tresses were smothered in said oil which then dribbled onto the carpet where it left a stain forever!
Let my experience be a lesson to you. As all the best air stewards warn us: "Please be careful when opening the overhead lockers as items may have moved while in transit".

In a Pickle

Free Member
Oct 9, 2019
Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxlife LHD
Exp
Since 2001
:welcome4:
I suspect most of us have done something similar. I left a liquid air freshener on the bathroom shelf. When we opened the bathroom door the smell was overwhelming, fortunately the liquid was in the shower tray so easy enough to clean up but it took weeks for the smell to dissipate. I also hit my head on a regular basis on the over cab storage area and just never learn!
i Have a check list blue tacked to the steering wheel of things to check before we move off, it works.....sometimes!

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
Made up you enjoyed your "painful" experience.
We have a drop-down bed in the Beni SWMBO usually puts it back up of a morning, as she is a few inches shorter than me it is usually just above her height resulting in me smacking my head on it usually when carrying brekki to her.

Nov 1, 2019
manchester
Funster No
MH
2018 Rollerteam t590
Exp
9 mnths
Fall2fast looks like you have the perfect attitude for Motorhoming. Was up that neck of the woods a couple of weeks back, had a few days near Seahouses. What a fantastic part of the country, can't wait to return.
Enjoy your travels.

OP
OP
Fall2fast

Fall2fast

Free Member
Oct 18, 2020
Galashiels, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
I feel like I’m on a learning curve and don’t feel so bad knowing that others have had similar incidents, though the overall experience was definitely a positive one. Even expensive mistakes like flattening my specs couldn’t take the shine of the trip. We are looking forward to doing a couple of nights this week, though this time in Scotland as the new restrictions will be kicking in.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Fall2fast

Sounds as though you are made for motorhoming.

We have had similar experiences over the years. At least you have got them over in one weekend.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back