Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I mentioned switching to leccy for the crossing on post 5 but it didnt get answered. Seems like a sensible solution to me.

Surely a healthy leisure battery or two can cope with a channel crossing? Your not crossing the pacific ocean !

I am not a expert but I thought the fridge would only run on 12v when the engine is running. I don't think they are wired to run off the leisure battery.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our Hymer uses the engine battery when driving but it does not switch off when the ignition is turned off. Our fridge has the switched off or it will flatten the batttery on the ferry. :eek:
It shouldn't work like that, there may be a stuck relay somewhere or it has been wired incorrectly.

I mentioned switching to leccy for the crossing on post 5 but it didnt get answered. Seems like a sensible solution to me.

Surely a healthy leisure battery or two can cope with a channel crossing? Your not crossing the pacific ocean !
It just isn't necessary to run it on anything on a ferry journey. Ours copes fine with the 20 hour Plymouth/Santander trip. But as above, unless something is wrong with your wiring you shouldn't be able to run it on 12 volt with the engine turned off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
The only ferries I have done with the van are the Portsmouth - Santander trips, around 23 hours. No need for any electrics on, just a bit of forward planning with getting the fridge down in temperature well before the trip, around 6 ice packs and everything as cold as possible. Lasts well through the ferry crossing

The rule is LPG must be off. That's the rules http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/f...can-i-take-my-lpg-/-lng-vehicle-on-your-ferry

We carry both Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) vehicles onboard all our vessels. The gas cylinder MUST be switched off prior to embarkation

We switch off the hab electrics as well, no need to risk the pump running, and you can't (normally) return to your vehicle unless your alarm is constantly triggering (which is supposed to be turned off anyway).

The cabins on Cap Finistere and Pont Aven have good ensuite facilities, and the latter has an excellent formal restaurant. Both have good dining facilities, though. Both sell ciggies and booze at Spanish prices, although the Cap Finistere (being a smaller ship) has limited choice

As mentioned, take a kettle and stuff to make tea in the cabin (continental adaptor required). And keep all your paperwork with you and accessible on hand in case you are asked.

The three biggest challenges you will have on that route/ships will be: a) parking on board (especially if you are placed in the open, as there are narrow ramps to enjoy), b) Finding your way to/from the docks at Santander (dreadfully signposted) and c) trying to understand the heavily accented and very distorted on board announcements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We take very little with us as choose to buy abroad but all good advice if following a special diet etc.

Upvote 0

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
In addition to DBK's good advice about putting a frozen bottle of milk in the main compartment, it also helps if you fill the freezer compartment completely with frozen food. Do not put in the fancy packaging the stuff comes in. Take it out of that,(keep the instructions if you must) but essentially turn the freezer compartment into one solid block of iced food.
We don't normally have frozen food on board the motorhome, but we do fill the freezer compartment with pre-frozen bottles of water; helps with the initial cooling of the fridge and keeps it cool throughout a long ferry crossing and if we occasionally forget to switch to gas when at a supermarket.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
in 30 years of ferry travel I've never been on a closed deck.
Only open decks I've seen now are the dfds boats to dunkirk. They use closed posh ones to Calais. I prefer the open deck boats.

I'm interested in not traveling on a 'closed deck', all cross-channel ferries are, all sea-cat style and only CalMac have open decks where I live. It's irrelevant anyway, the regulations prevent even Oxy-acetylene gases being carried in the engine-room, it is considered too dangerous.
As above open deck to dunkirk .

I always add a 5 litre bottle of water that has been frozen for some months into the fridge or any cool box I might use. I got to Essex once with ice still in the one in a cool box.:D

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We always hook ours up on the ferry to Spain, both on the Cap Finistere and the other one. The guys doing the loading are pretty helpful and will find somewhere to plug you in. Have your cable ready and your two pin adaptor

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I think you'll find that the DFDS ferries have a closed deck plus a small amount of open deck (handy for certain slightly dangerous goods), they are old ferries. By open deck I was really referring to ferries like the old Cambridge Ferry I worked on, it had no lower decks and the whole car deck was open to the elements, not even any door, just a safety net across the back.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back