DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The fridge will be fine turned off overnight but make sure everything is nice and cold in there before the trip. We typically turn ours on the day before, then load it on the day. For the long ferry to Spain a frozen meal and/or a bottle of frozen milk put in the main compartment keeps everything cool - though I do take out the ice cube tray just in case.

We also turn the gas off at the taps which are under the worktop in our vehicle. We have an underslung tank which has a valve on it you can use to isolate it - but we've never bothered with that though we would for the Chunnel.

Other does and don'ts? Make a note of the deck number the vehicle is on and staircase you used to get up to the main decks. This avoids the frantic "where is it?" search I've seen many times! Brittany Ferries have folk handing out cards with this info but I'm not sure everyone does.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
how much do you realy need in the fridge? I assume your travelling to europe everything is available once you dock
we travel with very little in the fridge

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thought of another one. Turn the water pump off. Not essential but if something sprung a leak it avoids coming back to a flooded vehicle.

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Fridge will be ok. We leave ours on the Spanish 24 hours ferry and never had any problems

But buy a travel kettle and two pin adaptor so u can make a brew in the cabin (on the longer crossings of course).

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In addition to DBK's good advice about putting a frozen bottle of milk in the main compartment, it also helps if you fill the freezer compartment completely with frozen food. Do not put in the fancy packaging the stuff comes in. Take it out of that,(keep the instructions if you must) but essentially turn the freezer compartment into one solid block of iced food.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You are required to turn off the gas supply before boarding. On our last crossing, to Hook Of Holland, the security were pulling all motorhomes out of line and asking them to turn off gas whilst they watched you do it.
Simple answer, don't have anything in the freezer that will spoil, and put ice packs in the fridge. that will keep it cool for the whole crossing :D

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
You are required to turn off the gas supply before boarding. On our last crossing, to Hook Of Holland, the security were pulling all motorhomes out of line and asking them to turn off gas whilst they watched you do it.
Simple answer, don't have anything in the freezer that will spoil, and put ice packs in the fridge. that will keep it cool for the whole crossing :D
I've never been asked or seen anything like that.

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've never been asked or seen anything like that.
It's a first for me also I have to say, although, amusingly the guy stood by the toilet cassette door when I exited, and I had to say to him "actually the gas is the one with the LPG sign on it!" :D

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As a former ferry company employee I can assure you I insisted on it whenever I saw a motorhome or caravan in the marshalling area. Please read the conditions of carriage and it should be very clear. Propane and butane are heavier than air, this doesn't matter too much outside but the car deck of a cross channel ferry is an enclosed space. Where would any gas leak to and disperse? If you have the fridge on gas where are the products of combustion meant to go?

Please turn off the gas.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
As a former ferry company employee I can assure you I insisted on it whenever I saw a motorhome or caravan in the marshalling area. Please read the conditions of carriage and it should be very clear. Propane and butane are heavier than air, this doesn't matter too much outside but the car deck of a cross channel ferry is an enclosed space. Where would any gas leak to and disperse? If you have the fridge on gas where are the products of combustion meant to go?

Please turn off the gas.
in 30 years of ferry travel I've never been on a closed deck.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I asked for hook up and got it. :)

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I'm interested in not traveling on a 'closed deck', all cross-channel ferries are, all sea-cat style and only CalMac have open decks where I live. It's irrelevant anyway, the regulations prevent even Oxy-acetylene gases being carried in the engine-room, it is considered too dangerous.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Costa Blanca Spain
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hi,

The answer is no. Just pack lots of ice in the fridge or rather ice packs.

The food will stay cool or go to a restaurant or supermarket when you get there.

Would you want to be responsible for a ferry fire in the middle of any stretch of water?.

TM

Upvote 0

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Newbie question alert, if the gas is turned off and your not on ehu, wouldn't the fridge switch to 12v?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Newbie question alert, if the gas is turned off and your not on ehu, wouldn't the fridge switch to 12v?
Only if the engine is running.

Upvote 0

nekarsulm

Free Member
Apr 20, 2016
Cavan, Ireland
Funster No
MH
Autoroller -5.Fiat Ducato
Exp
ten years
I've only ever been on Irish Ferries "Oscar Wilde" to Roscoff and Cherborg, and at the ferry port check-in they hand you a card notifying you to turn off gas at the cylinder. El. hook up is available if requested.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Our Hymer uses the engine battery when driving but it does not switch off when the ignition is turned off. Our fridge has the switched off or it will flatten the batttery on the ferry. :eek:

Upvote 0

EyUp

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Yorkshireman living in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Majestic 180
Exp
I mentioned switching to leccy for the crossing on post 5 but it didnt get answered. Seems like a sensible solution to me.

Surely a healthy leisure battery or two can cope with a channel crossing? Your not crossing the pacific ocean !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back