First extended trip...Scotland (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Tomorrow sees us off on our first longer trip in Rosie, first night is booked in Keilder village, after that it's a case of let's see where we end up.

We do have a loose plan - on Saturday we'll head West through Dumfries & Galloway and make for the coast, maybe Portpatrick (fond memories from a yacht charter many years ago) After that probably Loch Lomond, then maybe a bit further North before heading East and making our way back down the East coast - though we have a good friend who has just bought a place near Ettrick and he's keen for us to visit on our way home.

So - pick up the 'van this afternoon, check tyre pressures, fit new tyre pressure warning devices (thanks Jim) check oil. water etc. Fill up with diesel, then load up the 'van with bedding, food, booze etc. ready for a (relatively) early start - via Tesco's first for some last minute shopping.

Fingers crossed for the weather - I think we've covered all the bases but any last minute advice on things we may have forgotten or not considered for a longer trip away (OK only a week but more than we've done before)?

All advice gratefully received as always - wish us luck.

Mike & Jill

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Good luck, envy you your trip have had to postpone ours, but you should have a good time, we normally are in Scotland at this time.

Be warned Scotland has a habit of drawing you back time and time again, both for scenic reasons and the locals you could not wish for nicer people.

Don't be surprised if you want to stay longer, we can never manage less than six weeks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks Dave - we are aware of the dangers of falling in love with Scotland, though I'm afraid for us it happened many years ago!

I have worked in Edinburgh and Dundee, we had our honeymoon up there, have holidayed there many, many times (Arran, Skye, Oban and others) and we both love the place and the people. With a surname like mine (Marshall) and a ginger beard I suspect I have ancestors from there - maybe that's wishful thinking though!

This is our first m'home trip to Scotland though, and I'm really looking forward to the new dimension I believe it will bring to familiar places.

Can't wait! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Thanks Dave - we are aware of the dangers of falling in love with Scotland, though I'm afraid for us it happened many years ago!

I have worked in Edinburgh and Dundee, we had our honeymoon up there, have holidayed there many, many times (Arran, Skye, Oban and others) and we both love the place and the people.[HI] With a surname like mine (Marshall) and a ginger beard I suspect I have ancestors from there [/HI]- maybe that's wishful thinking though!

This is our first m'home trip to Scotland though, and I'm really looking forward to the new dimension I believe it will bring to familiar places.

Can't wait! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

You think your name brings ancestors from Scotland, mine does its Scott and know mine does, just two generations ago.

Sam and Viv

Free Member
Sep 1, 2010
fife
Funster No
MH
hi-top
Exp
of-on with caravans-40yrs
speed limit

Hi Touchwood
Hope the weather get,s better for you it,s pelting down here (Loch Gelly)
just a little warning if you are coming back down the M90 to Forth road bridge watch out for road works with 40mph speed limits the cameras do work ! Have a great time. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Touchwood

Sitting here in a very wet Dumfries i'd advise a canoe :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. If your looking for anywhere nice near Dumfries let me know i have a few places that are ideal and overnighting is permitted by the owners.

Gerry

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
You're going to do Scotland? So you didn't find a better place to spend holidays then ..... I don't envy you a single second:)cry-smile::cry-smile:)

Try to enjoy then:youbetcha:

Amicalement

Frankie::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Still trying to have more holidays to do it asap....Didn't succeed....YET !!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back