First ever trip - booked! (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Well, committed now. Bit of a saga first though.

We bought our first camper van (previous experience some years ago with tents, trailer tents, caravans) last October in Germany, a Knaus Boxdrive. We wanted an automatic LHD and they were still (still are I think?) very rare models in the UK. It was done back then to avoid one of the many false Brexit alarms from last year, in fear of increased tariffs.

PDI and handover was VERY poor but anyway, we drove it home, completed all the documentation to make everything legal and stuck it in storage as we were off to Thailand for a couple of months. Just before we headed off though, while having solar and B2B fitted (Sunstore, brilliant service) it was discovered that there was a wiring issue which means the fridge could not work on 12v unless we were driving, otherwise it would flatten the battery.

We arranged with the Knaus dealer nearest us (Southdowns Motorhomes) to correct the issue under warranty, with a scheduled work date in April. (They were also a pleasure to deal with by way) Covid appeared, so that date was put out to May. Now it is sometime in August/September. So we're just going to live with it while we use the van. Otherwise we would have had the van for nearly 12 months by that stage without ever having used it............

So off on our first trip (12th July to 12th Sept) without even having tried turning on the gas hob yet, much less being shown how to actually use it....... Portsmouth to Bilbao. By the way, sailings from Portsmouth seem to be nearly all gone at this stage.

But life should be an adventure and we have enough confidence in ourselves to figure we will be able to deal with whatever gets thrown at us, we are pretty experienced travellers.

Our plan is North-West Spain initially, meeting up with our New York domiciled daughter, son-in-law and grandkids who will be flying in a few days after we arrive, they will be renting a house somewhere for two to three weeks and we'll pitch up alongside it. After that it's Portugal.

The driving, travelling etc aspect holds zero concerns, just hoping we'll be able to figure out the vagaries of operation of the control panel, toilet etc. :giggle:

So if anybody has recommendations for campsites/places to wild camp in the Spanish North West we would be happy to hear them, as we'll be there for a few days before the family arrives.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Your fridge should really only work on 12v when the engine is running, some installations you are able to put onto 12v manually but then you have to be careful because as you say you could easily flatten your battery, if it's an AES you just leave it in Auto and it should sort itself out.

If you download the app "camper contact" this will show you parking places, other apps are available;)

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Martin

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Can't believe the dealer did that, it's how it's supposed to be, even now, whatever he has done you can't run the fridge without the engine running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Sounds like a great adventure for your first trip! Going to Spain via Bilbao (or Santander) cuts out loads of driving in France, which although pleasant enough can be time consuming when you want to get to Spain.

Looks a great van.

Hope it all works out, which I''m sure it will.

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Thanks for the replies, appreciated. Yes, I think I've got the instructions regarding the use of the fridge mixed up. I'd better double check, I know there is a danger of exhausting a battery the way it is currently set up, that was one of the main concerns. If it does cause a problem we'll switch to camping mode - using a coolbox. We'll just take a plastic step for the door.

We've downloaded Camper Contact so will look for something in the Bilbao/Santander area for the first night.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Park4night is also worth checking out ..

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't believe the dealer did that, it's how it's supposed to be, even now, whatever he has done you can't run the fridge without the engine running.
Not true every German van we have had you can run on 12v if you want.
Our solar regulator when the batteries are full and there is plenty of solar it sends a signal to the fridge and the fridge changes to 12v.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Well,you’ve waited long enough,so hope you have a great time. Why not do a thread on here to tell us about your progress.......it will be an interesting story and maybe help others going in that general direction.

The fridge should only be on12 volts whilst you are driving. Highly unlikely to have been wired wrongly in the factory,in my opinion,but I’ve never bought new,or abroad.

Enjoy!
Edit. Well,LennyHB has corrected me,and others.............and HE knows what he’s talking about,whereas I just pretend to!

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Thanks Podney but it was definitely wired wrong - apparently a circuit board or something is connected in reverse (don't ask....) As I say, the PDI was pretty non-existent..

But minor issues in the grand scheme of things, we're very lucky, we have a new van and we're going on a trip!

(By the way, if anybody wants to know anything about the DIY import process happy to answer any questions if I'm able)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
It looks like the boxdrive has a compressor fridge so it would need to run off 12v if I'm correct. Not sure how long the batteries last with those types though!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I am/was a well seasoned traveller, but that did not stop me the first time not taking anything to light the gas with...……………..or leaving the drain valve open I didn't think I needed a watering can as I had hose pipes WRONG
Have fun and laugh at the daft bits your van can make a normally intelligent person feel pretty daft sometimes.

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Watering Can! We HAD forgotten something, thanks Nanniemate. Had thought of it previously but forgotten it again until you reminded me.

Paulajc77

Free Member
Feb 25, 2020
Bradford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2018
My fridge runs on 12v only.
I have 3x40 watt solar panels and not flattened battery yet.
I tend to drive park up for at least 2 nights before driving again. But have done 4 nights previously.
I would test the gas before you go as I didn't in our first trip and the regulator was broken and didn't let any gas out so no hot water no cooking!

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
I would recommend you at least do an overnighter in the van on the driveway before you go, so you can check water system, heating, electrics, shower, hob, beds, toilet etc all work as they should do.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Watering Can! We HAD forgotten something, thanks Nanniemate. Had thought of it previously but forgotten it again until you reminded me.
It's up to you whether you carry a watering can we never have and I don't think ever will we just drive to the tap and use the hosepipe especially in the rest of Europe where the service points seem bettr set up

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The Boxdrive has a 90litre? CUV Compressor refrigerator, incl. 6,5 ltr. freezer compartment. This if like a Waeco compressor fridge ONLY runs on 12v see https://www.knaus.com/en-uk/camper-vans-cuv/competence/cuv-variants/

If the OPs vehicle will not run the fridge unless the engine is running then the vehicle is useless as a camper.

I looked the above up as I am an interested buyer for this model. Knowledgeseeker please keep us informed on progress.

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Thanks all of you for your input on the fridge issue, I've checked and it may not be as difficult/problematic as we feared - yes, it is a compressor model and yes, they can only run on 12v. Although it has always been our ultimate intention to wild camp as much as possible, this initial trip will not involve much of that so we will either be travelling or on EHU for most of the time, plus we have 200W solar so I think we're good.

Now, next issue is will Europe allow in travelers from the U.S..................... It's not looking good. If they don't we'll postpone the trip until Sept/Oct.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back