Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi All,
Yesterday we drove from home in West Lothian to St Mary's Loch in the Scottish Borders, cooked and ate bacon and eggs in the MH, walked for a couple of hours then drove home.
It's about 70 miles each way but we took a wrong turning on the way and added 10 miles cos we couldn't see anywhere to turn around!
Anyway, we were completely exhausted when we got home with stiff necks from the tension of driving a new big vehicle especially down Scottish narrow roads out in the sticks.
We're looking for reassurance that we'll get used to it and feel as relaxed as we did caravanning soon... not that we would have taken the caravan up there!
Towing has its own stresses but after 20 years it was very familiar:Smile:
But we loved having everything to hand and the luxury of sitting with the door open looking out at one of the best views in Britain.
Mags

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
No, you'll never get used to it.

I think you should hand over your MH immediately to someone better equipped to handle the stresses and strains you are obviously incapable of understanding.

I know just such a person.....................

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

caltonmonument

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Funnily enough, I visited St Mary's Loch on my first ever trip, almost exactly two years ago and in gorgeous weather. I remember pulling up onto the grass, setting up my picnic table and making myself a lovely lunch and thinking "this is exactly what I bought a campervan for" ::bigsmile:. I spent the next couple of weeks travelling all the way round the North coast of Scotland, and was totally hooked.

I am sure you will get used to the driving soon and be able to relax a bit more and enjoy the pleasures.

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
the adventure begins :thumb:

You will soon get used to driving it, no doubt at all. Just make sure you don't get "too used" to it, and begin throwing it around like a car - makes a hell of a mess in the back :ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
You will get used to driving it.
We had caravans before getting our MH last November. Our car , Nissan Terrano , pulled it like it was a small trailer, though i never wanted to even attempt to have a go at it.
Now we fight over who's going to drive the MH. I wouldn't want to drive it through a little village with narrow lanes though.
I'd let Ralph have his turn then :ROFLMAO:
Dont forget to wave.
Bev

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Mags

You will soon get used to it, I remember in our early days in Scotland crossing Skye and driving cross country and remember the strain of driving across a road with about 6inches of road on each side across a moor, we drove the same road this year and it seemed like a motorway, no wider but felt huge, so it just goes to show how you learn.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Almost identical position to yourselves Mag's, and the roads to the tip of the Llyn peninsular and around Aberdaron were similar for our first camp.

Our trial runs before that were to our son's house and then the J19 cafe on the M6 (testing the child seats with grandchildren aboard).

I have to say we have both adapted to the change from caravaning and right now we have absolutely no regrets, and neither of us can wait for our next outing.

Its a big worry as its a big financial outlay and have we made the right decision will be there for a while yet, but as of now i am pretty certain we did.::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Grumps. I think we rushed into a longish and difficult trip and didn't account for the strain of approaching blind corners on narrow roads with no stopping or passing places and 10 cars behind us! :roflmto:
We have a very good excuse to keep practising though! :thumb:
Happy travelling!
Mags

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back