"First Aiders"... Do we have any ???? (1 Viewer)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
At the Fun meet at the Shrewsbury show in 2012 I slipped or tripped and fell out of a show motorhome ( totally sober!) There was a paramedic on site. He worked for Lincolnshire Health Trust but on days off so worked at the show. He told me the big shows have to have a full paramedic these days, the days of the St John volunteers over as far as their insurance is concerned.
But again, I think if someone collapsed in front of you with obvious heart attack, choking, for example you'd do what you could while waiting for professional help to arrive.
Good point, but what if the person has a stroke and the time you waited/called for help meant that person did not make a full recover because it took the medic 10 minutes to get across the event to you. Just food for thought

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Im a paramedic and always carry a first aid kit AND an AED (defibrillator) when away in the motorhome. I would be more than happy to display a badge and would of course offer assistance without hesitation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
I would also be more than happy to teach CPR and basic life support including using an AED at any event/rally i attend. I also reiterate that acting as a bystander you CANNOT be sued. it is covered by Good Samaritan Act which incidentally also covers those of us who are healthcare professionals but off duty and therefore without equipment.

"
A good Samaritan act is where medical assistance is given in a bona fide medical emergency, which a healthcare professional may happen upon in a personal rather than professional situation. While there is no legal duty to assist (in UK law), clinicians have an ethical and a professional duty to help.

As clinicians in such a situation, you should do the best you can in the circumstances with the resources available, working within the limits of your competence. MPS will assist with any problems arising from a good Samaritan act anywhere in the world " (Medical Protection Society)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I did First Aid at Work a few years ago and needed it when my hubby collapsed at home. The training did kick in even after around 8 years and I was able to talk to the emergency services telling them I had checked the ABC and put him into the recovery position. He wasn't too happy when I made him stay on the floor until the ambulance arrived :) Luckily all ended up okay but the training helped me to stay calm and focus. Because I had taken control and appeared to know what to do it kept him calm.

In an emergency if I could help / offer assistance I would but my qualification is well out of date and no easy way to renew living where I do. Having said that with the defib going into the village there may be chance at that point to do a refresher :)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
not been updated since i retired, and my field was advanced pediatric life support, also did annual adult resus updates, children have parents and grandparents who may also need assistance. Could not stand back if help was needed. Go on girly holidays with 5 others one of whom is a also a, now retired, nurse. Have managed 2 flights where assistance was not asked for ! Have to say from experience it is very different using skills when your usual medical, colleague, equipment backup is not around. Not really a first aider as such though

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Providing it`s OK with @Jim....... (Should have asked him in the first place, really.. :doh:)

I will see how many my mate can knock up, and post on here as soon as I know...

And will post out to members who would be willing to display the sign, and hopefully not, but act if needed.. :Ta2:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Providing it`s OK with @Jim....... (Should have asked him in the first place, really.. :doh:)

I will see how many my mate can knock up, and post on here as soon as I know...

And will post out to members who would be willing to display the sign, and hopefully not, but act if needed.. :Ta2:
When I have some time this week coming I will PM Jim and ask him about the possibility of running a course or two at meets this year, but I need to get all the details first ie: cost, equipment etc. At least we have some interest, which is great.

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 2013
I can provide first aid training mannequins and training defibrillator and am more than happy to instruct. As far as i am concerned, the more people who can do CPR and use an AED the better.

Incidentally just to put all this in perspective, as it is not like you see on casualty at all, there are few people who survive an out of hospital cardiac arrest but this figure is increasing thanks to public access AEDs and CPR publicity. As a paramedic the few who i have 'got back' have only EVER been those who received some sort of CPR by a bystander or relative prior to my arrival. Those 8 mins (hopefully) waiting for us may seem like a lifetime to those doing it, but they are the most valuable 8 mins you will ever have spent and will make a difference to how successful an outcome we can achieve when we get there.

Please make it this years mission to learn how to do good chest compressions (CPR) at the very least

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I would also be more than happy to teach CPR and basic life support including using an AED at any event/rally i attend.
Thanks @Hel999,

I'd be more than happy to do some refresher training re CPR. (y) Although we were all FA and O2 trained, Defibrillators weren't carried on the appliances until some time after I left the Brigade, so a bit of "hands on" with one, would be interesting for me. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I

Incidentally just to put all this in perspective, as it is not like you see on casualty at all, there are few people who survive an out of hospital cardiac arrest but this figure is increasing thanks to public access AEDs and CPR publicity. As a paramedic the few who i have 'got back' have only EVER been those who received some sort of CPR by a bystander or relative prior to my arrival. Those 8 mins (hopefully) waiting for us may seem like a lifetime to those doing it, but they are the most valuable 8 mins you will ever have spent and will make a difference to how successful an outcome we can achieve when we get there.

Please make it this years mission to learn how to do good chest compressions (CPR) at the very least
I couldn't agree more.In 2011 I lost my brother , who had been recently widowed & lived alone, to an early morning heart attack with no one to help & 15 months ago exactly the same happened to my middle brother-in-law .:cry:

Broken Link Removed

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
:ROFLMAO: I may need a first Aider as Chelsea are up 3-0 and I'm half a bottle of whiskey down, it's Chelsea winning comfortably that's causing the heart palpitations

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
:ROFLMAO: I may need a first Aider as Chelsea are up 3-0 and I'm half a bottle of whiskey down, it's Chelsea winning comfortably that's causing the heart palpitations
Make that 4 - 0
I'm going to need to BE a first aider - Him Indoors is a Magpies supporter :(

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I can provide first aid training mannequins and training defibrillator and am more than happy to instruct. As far as i am concerned, the more people who can do CPR and use an AED the better.

As a retired paramedic I couldn't agree more with what you say. I did 30yrs on the front line & could count "the ones that we got back" on one hand, but when someone carries out effective CPR straight away the chances of saving a life increase dramatically.

Its nice to see this thread on this forum & it'd make a great deal of sense to have first aiders or responders available to everyone.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
CPR? Should have said! I am an exspurt ( ex as in was - spurt - a drip under pressure) personally favor open chest hand heart massage..far more effective! A Bit messy but still. Happy to demonstrate if need be on a pet whatever......

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Both myself and wifey are trained first aiders, however, both of us have rescinded that status due to the litigious society that we live in! Namely that should a trained first aider, who is in possession of a current certification, fail to do something, then they can be sued! This doesn't mean we wouldn't administer first aid to someone in need. We do carry first aid equipment in the van at all times.
A sad indictment of the times we live in :-(
Go on then... post a link to just one court case.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
If there is a course at any of the meets I attend I will willingly pay to do a course. I retired 18 months ago having been a GP for 27 years, we had annual updates so I will willingly have a go if someone has a cardiac arrest as what harm can I do. However the more practice the better and the more likely I am to succeed.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Bit of an urban myth this one, nobody has ever had a claim brought against them.
Exactly.
It's a subject that's been brought up on every single First Aid course I've been on. No one, without exception, can cite reference to a single court case.

Last edited:

BFM14

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
Leicester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Not being contentious but where the evidence that First Aiders have been sued? I have been on this planet a long time and never seen or heard in the news that any first aider has been sued for just giving emergency aid. It appears to me that this is a medical equivalent to "Gassing".

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
CPR? Should have said! I am an exspurt ( ex as in was - spurt - a drip under pressure) personally favor open chest hand heart massage..far more effective! A Bit messy but still. Happy to demonstrate if need be on a pet whatever......
Thanks for the offer but I have enough for now, even if I think your post is a bit :rolleyes: I sort of expected better from you

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am one of my firm's Fire Officers if that helps.

Highly trained with a fluorescent bib hanging on the back of my door ready to get the call.(y)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun