Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Hello all,
Is there any future rally's, particularly in Yorkshire area, or in the north or even at a
larger rally where there is any first aid courses. I think it would make sense if one week-end
per year or every 6 months we could attend such an event possibly taught by St John or
a qualified instructor who could give a certificate or update previous qualifications.
I don't have any.
I personally would (as we are all getting on) consider attending to learn even the basics.
Please pick a nice day so that it can be held in the sun or have some sort of shelter arranged.
There must be within our forums some people who would be prepared to give their expertise or even charge a fee if need be for half a day or more.? We can then be more helpful in the event it would be needed at a rally or even in daily life.
Kind regards
Atlantisbird
Ann & Harry (Harry)

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
First aid course.

Good idea, could you arrange it?

As a newbie and not as yet been to any fun meetings until next weeks Misterton rally I would not be able to organise a quiet drink in a brewery. (being polite so as not to offend)
Kind regards
Harry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As a newbie and not as yet been to any fun meetings until next weeks Misterton rally I would not be able to organise a quiet drink in a brewery.
Harry

You should have been there last year, that is exactly what our perfect hosts organised. Tour of a local brewery and lecture on how to make beer. It was excellent.

First aid - a seriously good idea.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The best you could hope for with any certification would be "Emergency Aid".
This is (or used to be) a one day course.
"First Aid at Work" is a 4 day course.
The First Aid organisations or many training companies should be able to deliver, but obviously there would be a cost.
As to costs, providers, etc. I am in the dark.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A funster did bring this up a while ago with more detail and an offer of instruction but i cant find any reference in the search facility...

i seem to remember the thread concerned strokes.

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
First aid course.

Someone was asking for costs so I looked on Google "Northern first aid courses".
Small excerpt from Northern's first aid web site.

We are very competitive!

A 2 day course for up to 14 people costs just £500.00 (plus travel expenses if we come to you)- this price includes a 3 year certificate but not a manual). With 14 candidates this is just £35.70 per person. If required manuals are £7.00 Each.

QUALITY

We are a member of the Active Aid trainers organisation; an HSE approved provider. We are renowned for high quality presentations and our practical scenario–based courses. Candidates on our courses do get some power-point presentations, but we also use short videos, teach through interactive discussions, and use indoor and outdoor role play situations, both as teams and individuals. This is very much a hands-on course. The results are better retention of the key responses to common situations, and a much more engaging learning experience. By far the commonest comment we get on our course feedback is that students enjoyed the course and learned more than they have on previous courses.

FLEXIBILITY

We can come to you, either at your place if you have a suitable room, or arrange a nearby venue. We have run courses everywhere from Cambridge University to Newcastle on Tyne, and From Hull to Ambleside in Cumbria. Or we can use our own classroom at our outdoor centre at Skywalk House ,Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria. We are very flexible and can run courses on weekdays or weekends to suit you. We are able to offer courses for any group from 5 people upwards, or individuals can join many of our scheduled courses.

I have sent them an email to see if they have space for any MH's.
Harry

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Link Removed

Basic first aid in your local area is about 30£
if interested why not contact St Johns and go along to a local course

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Heartstart is a free course that runs in most areas. Try googling to find your local one. As I said before though I am happy to carry out training at a meet, but it would need to be a reasonable distance for me for a weekend.:Smile::Smile:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you are serious about this i can get you a phone number for a guy who trains first aid for the Scout leaders in my area (West Yorkshire)

PM me if you want it.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If this goes ahead I have 4 Resus Annies I could lend, I don't teach anymore as my ticket has long since expired. Link Removed.

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
First aid course.

Surely Jim as an ex trainer you should know someone who would be prepared to put up
a rally with this in mind and charge a small fee as it would help when people rally
to have some people who can help in an emergency.
GordoncBrown is in Scotland and he is prepared to travel a small way and has offered
this services as a trainer but surely there would be demand for every county in the UK
to hold their own with expert rally organisers even if it is just a gathering of a few like minded people even once per year.
This I would think would be a great help to the motorhome community as a whole.
I personally do not just want to know just CPR I would want at least a two day coarse with
a certificate at the end of it.
By the way I looked at St Johns and it is £110.00 not £30.00.
It would be a really popular rally more than once a year but until I go to our first rally
at Misterton I have no idea as a newbie what to expect and what a rally entails.
It was just an idea from us and I am waiting for a reply to Northern first aid trainers in Ambleside where they do courses and it seems in a nice area for a rally.
A few days or a week at a rally with a two day course in it for interested people.
I am a complete beginner at MH but I think that sort of information going abroad in the van would be a blessing should you have the need to use it for anyone.
especially yourself or your party who travel with you.

I do not know how to put a vote thing on here yet could Jim do it for me to see what sort of response there is likely to be.

Well I am off for a week to get work done on the van and attend my first rally at the end of this week so I may be out of touch for a while. I will ask the question at the Misterton rally if I get the chance.

Kindest regards
Ann & Harry (Harry)
Atlantisbird.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Sorry I don't, I was teaching security people overseas. I've never had anything to do with official UK First Aid Training.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I do not know how to put a vote thing on here yet could Jim do it for me to see what sort of response there is likely to be.
Atlantisbird.

If you are making a meal of it, close to zero. Meets are for FUN. Get up about 11:00, light breakfast, stretch, 12:00 are they open yet ?. Then siesta. Then "have you got the takeaway menu ?".

You think I'm joking !!

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
Reply from Northern First aid company.

Just received this reply from the training company just in case anyone is interested.
Kind regards
Harry

Hi Harry,

We are about 100m away from a caravan and camping site called Pennine View, (017683 71717)- the site is right next to the River Eden with lots of attractive walks and scenery, and of course has all the facilities you might want. Alternatively about 1.5miles from us is Watyatt bottom, a large area of common land next to the river that is frequently used by campers and motorhomes. We sometimes have visitors on our paragliding courses “wild camping” there and it is a favourite area for caravans attending the Appleby horse fair). I hope one of these that will be ideal for you.

We can do a bespoke first aid course for you, prices are on our website, and we do a set price for groups of up to 14 ( More than that we need another trainer) and it can be very cheap if there is a good sized group.

I hope this is helpful.

Ian Currer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back