fireworks (1 Viewer)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
was siting on the sete when there was a big bang follow by the living room door flying open and a dig black lump flying across the room right on top of me
i have never seen the dog that upset by anything
shaking panting tale between the legs he has never liked fire works but this incandescent has scared him out of his skin
cant even get him to leave the living room he never gets in his place is in the utility room
any one recommend a sedative i can give him over the counter from the vets
bill

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not sure of the exact name but there is a plug in device that gives off the smell of a mothers pheramone. We have used it in the past with our saluki and it worked very well and we got it from pets at home. There are also recordings of fireworks and loud noises that you can play and increase volume as your dog gets used to them. Never used those before, but the forum I used to use recommended them highly. Fortunately having two labradors now, they are tolerant of bangs and loud noises and have never been worried by fireworks. Hope you get you dog sorted soon.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
Adaptil (used to called DAP) is the pheromone plug in [I've removed the link, Amazon have it on next day delivery, or any pet shop I suspect] worth buying one now and plugging in, one upstairs and downstairs ideally. They give off an artificical version of the pheromones produced by a lactating bitch, reassure that all's ok effectively.

The other very important thing to do is have a den, a safe snuggle place, blankets on top of a table, an open crate in a quiet place, just somewhere that feels safe, in my dogs' case safe and calm but within view of their people.

We tend to have a calm bangers and mash party on bonfire night itself, my boys love having their people over and it distracts the one that's nervous of fireworks nicely.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
It would still be worth using Adaptil and a den as well

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Having just rehomed Kerry three weeks ago, I was concerned how she'd react to fireworks...

Near neighbour has just let some off...

IMG_20161029_202921-640x360.jpg

Note the extreme stress & panic - one ear raised :rolleyes:. She's becoming one chilled lady :D.

[ @Wildbill - my dad (rip) was a vet... and he used to prescribe Mogodon... for us kids... :whistle:
Totally unpc and would be in a lot of trouble these days :eek: - but happy your hound is calm]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
was siting on the sete when there was a big bang follow by the living room door flying open and a dig black lump flying across the room right on top of me
Bill, at least he came TO YOU for reassurance.
Glad you've got him sorted.
It would still be worth using Adaptil and a den as well
I agree. Dogs are pack animals and when they're under stress, they need to feel surrounded by their pack/ family in a safe place.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back