LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Upon installing a new firestick in the avtex tv. On setting the remote up for the sound toggle it asks for tv make, Avtex doesn’t come up in the option list, so select none of the above, go to alternative sound, click sound bar make, again Avtex doesn’t come up, select none of the above, result….. No sound🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Question, what tv and sound at make could I have put it on the option list (there was 100’s🤷‍♂️

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
IIRC there’s a tv brand listed under tv‘s that looks similar to Avtex….I’m sure that’s the one I used, I can’t remember exactly what it was tho. (Almost like a typo of Avtex)

I‘ll have a look if you don’t get sorted….

EDIT……or there is Amazons answer

D5A4A61B-0674-49E9-ACA3-E3FFC3CFB923.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I recall going to the very end of the listings and last one was “ other” or similar and it worked. Cannot check don’t have that MH anymore.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
I recall going to the very end of the listings and last one was “ other” or similar and it worked. Cannot check don’t have that MH anymore.
Yes that’s what I’ve done both for the tv and sound bar settings👍

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
When I set ours up there was no Avtex on the list but there was Astex and the V does look a little like an S.
Anyway, I didn’t choose it and don’t have sound control through the Firestick remote control, I haven’t figured out how to reset it yet but there is sufficient volume, though turning it up on TV makes little or no difference.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
I have just read this thread and ran to the van............

It didn't work :( Our Avtex is about 4 years old so that may be the reason although i had the fire stick plugged into the TV and not the mains plug. So if anyone has success with an older Avtex I would love to know!

Aug 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium
Amazon warns users not to plug-in the Fire TV stick device into the TV’s USB port. The reason being is the Fire TV stick requires 5v @1000 mA of power in order to function optimally & most TV’s on the market only provide 5v @ 500 mA of power. The lack of power can cause a number of issues when using your Firestick device such as:

Insufficient Power message on the screen
Random screen blackouts
Losing arc connection
Random Reboots
Powering your firestick device through your TV can put both your TV and firestick device at risk of damage, it’s best just to avoid this issue by plugging in your Firestick TV to a power outlet through the provided USB cable

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
You need to select Avatex. The remote will then work.

And, if you're using a new Avtex TV, the USBs are powerful enough for the Firestick. If it's an old TV, the USB may be 1.0 and therefore not powerful enough.

I'm using a new firestick on a new Avtex. Remote works and no power other than the TV USB is needed.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Amazon warns users not to plug-in the Fire TV stick device into the TV’s USB port. The reason being is the Fire TV stick requires 5v @1000 mA of power in order to function optimally & most TV’s on the market only provide 5v @ 500 mA of power. The lack of power can cause a number of issues when using your Firestick device such as:

Random screen blackouts
Losing arc connection
Random Reboots
Powering your firestick device through your TV can put both your TV and firestick device at risk of damage, it’s best just to avoid this issue by plugging in your Firestick TV to a power outlet through the provided USB cable
[pedant]It is good advice but I don't think it came direct from Amazon.[/pedant]
They supply a USB lead and power adapter and in the Quick Start guide they say to use it.

Most TV have a USB socket that can power a Firestick.
Some do struggle and are better off with the supplied adapter and cable (y)

Lots of Funsters use separate power to do the first time setup and then just use their TV's USB socket going forward. 🤷‍♂️

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Random screen blackouts
Losing arc connection
Random Reboots
I run my Firestick off the tv usb and set it up on the tv usb with no problem.

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Update, went back into the van to sort the sound out, turned tv on and everything was cushty🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Never had to alter a thing🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👍👍

Haven’t paired the remote for sound though🤔

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
You need to select Avatex. The remote will then work.

And, if you're using a new Avtex TV, the USBs are powerful enough for the Firestick. If it's an old TV, the USB may be 1.0 and therefore not powerful enough.

I'm using a new firestick on a new Avtex. Remote works and no power other than the TV USB is needed.
Tried this yesterday and no joy. Tried also the other similar named TV on the list and also the non-listed option all to no avail. Even tried setting up the 4k Firestick again using its own power source rather than the TV’s USB port but no joy.
Not sure, if anything, what to try. Alternative may be to give Firestick functionality to the Avtex remote. Or just live with 2 remotes. First world issues!😆

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
That’s so strange. It works perfectly here.
Perhaps try restoring the TV to factory settings and trying again?

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
That’s so strange. It works perfectly here.
Perhaps try restoring the TV to factory settings and trying again?
Yes, I might try that next time I’m at the van. Will post back. 👍

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
[pedant]It is good advice but I don't think it came direct from Amazon.[/pedant]
They supply a USB lead and power adapter and in the Quick Start guide they say to use it.

Most TV have a USB socket that can power a Firestick.
Some do struggle and are better off with the supplied adapter and cable (y)

Lots of Funsters use separate power to do the first time setup and then just use their TV's USB socket going forward. 🤷‍♂️

Amazon sell the Mission Firestick USB Adapter which is ‘Made for Amazon’. It has onboard power storage to avoid those issues.

DE60BEF6-4FCA-46EF-A79A-BCDEFB0B4B6D.jpeg

OP
OP
WESTY66

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
Update, went back into the van to sort the sound out, turned tv on and everything was cushty🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Never had to alter a thing🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️👍👍

Haven’t paired the remote for sound though🤔
Update, went to Germany early December and sound at not working again. So I had a brainfart. The tv in the bedroom is identical except it’s a 21” whereas the lounge one is 24” so I thought I would check the set ups, and as I looked there was an extra co ax lead in the bedroom one that works perfectly, so opened the soundbar box took out the coax lead plugged it in and everything is now cushty again (apart from the firestick remote not working the sound but I can live with that).

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Amazon sell the Mission Firestick USB Adapter which is ‘Made for Amazon’. It has onboard power storage to avoid those issues.

View attachment 567290
I'd expect it to work as advertised but "Made for Amazon" does not mean "endorsed by Amazon" or "Tested & Approved by Amazon" ;)

It has battery capacity to store energy not needed by the Firestick when it's idle/sleep or just putting out the basic UI.
So that when the Firestick wants to pull out more energy the Mission adapter can satisfy that instead of the original power source.

edit: here is some 3rd party info on the Mission USB cable, some alternatives and similar cabling for the Google Chromecast

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back