Garry - June

Free Member
Jun 24, 2019
Pershore, Worcestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia
Exp
As its Amazon "Prime" day and there is a cracking deal on the 4k Firestick....can anyone tell me if these will power and run ok from the Avtex USB port as i don't want to have a separate power supply..

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
At that price it's currently the cheapest Firestick! When I posted Broken Link Removed. the FS Lite was dearer :eek: :)

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I connected up our new 4K Amazon Firestick to our Avtex 21" TV a couple of weeks ago, and it showed up on screen as "insufficient power" when I tried to power it from a USB port on the LH Side of the TV.
The HDMI ports are located on the underside of the TV so I connected the Firestick to the HDMI 1 Port, and the power lead was put into a USB port.
I assumed that I would need to plug it into a decent 12V source like a new USB C rated socket in the van, but I need to get a usb extension lead to do that.
I am surprised to read that others have been more successful than I have, was even thinking of buying the in line 12v booster box for £24 on Amazon, but it has mixed reviews.:unsure:
I wonder why it works for some & not for others?, maybe its the age/model of Avtex TV, ours is 4 years old now.
Looking forward to hearing any suggestions.

LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
The stick needs more power when being setup. So once that is done you will have more luck running it of TV usb, also when it gives you the warning about not enough power, you can just ignore the message and it continues to work.

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I connected up our new 4K Amazon Firestick to our Avtex 21" TV a couple of weeks ago, and it showed up on screen as "insufficient power" when I tried to power it from a USB port on the LH Side of the TV.
The HDMI ports are located on the underside of the TV so I connected the Firestick to the HDMI 1 Port, and the power lead was put into a USB port.
I assumed that I would need to plug it into a decent 12V source like a new USB C rated socket in the van, but I need to get a usb extension lead to do that.
I am surprised to read that others have been more successful than I have, was even thinking of buying the in line 12v booster box for £24 on Amazon, but it has mixed reviews.:unsure:
I wonder why it works for some & not for others?, maybe its the age/model of Avtex TV, ours is 4 years old now.

LES
The same happened to our set which was bought in 2016. It does not get enough power to operate (Insufficient power) even if you leave it for 5 minutes. As we have a usb hub in a cupboard above the TV it was easy enough to run a dedicated USB lead along with the TV cables. Interesting to see that some work and others don't. Going to have another look at the TV settings in case something needs turned on that I missed when I originally set up the 4k firestick.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
I wonder why it works for some & not for others?,

The stick needs more power when being setup.
Hopefully just what Landy Andy says and if you can boost the power by an alternative source long enough to get the setup done, your Firestick will work as needed - despite low power warnings.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Bugger....wish I'd waited now. Just paid £39.99 for the latest HD version.
Unlucky.
Also, at the moment there is no confusion over Firestick HD versions. We only have the 1st generation model.
It is the HD models that got recent hardware changes (y)
Oddly know as Fire TV Stick on this Amazon FAQ :eek:

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
That deal looks like just the Firestick and remote. No power lead of any sort?
The Firestick comes with everything in the box, including the USB power lead, plus an HDMI short extension lead for the firestick itself which can be handy depending where your TV HDMI slots are placed, on our Avtex they are on the underside of the tele just to make it that bit more awkward to find.:rolleyes:
LES

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
The Firestick comes with everything in the box, including the USB power lead, plus an HDMI short extension lead for the firestick itself which can be handy depending where your TV HDMI slots are placed, on our Avtex they are on the underside of the tele just to make it that bit more awkward to find.:rolleyes:
LES
Indeed they can be awkward to use .
On our Roku stick we used these adaptors with the Avtex TVs .
21E36EF4-EA9F-4EAE-BAE9-687169BA8251.png

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs

LES
Snap, It doesn't work on our Avtex tv either but works on our Falcon. To be fair our Avtex tv is a few years old.

slowcoach65

Free Member
Jan 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
A
The stick needs more power when being setup. So once that is done you will have more luck running it of TV usb, also when it gives you the warning about not enough power, you can just ignore the message and it continues to work.
Just added a FireStick to a new 12/240 volt TV and as per the above post had to set up via separate USB socket, then all ok after that to run off the 0.5A USB socket from the TV.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Well, just ordered my third Firestick. One for the van, one for the house and one for the French house. I got tired of trying to remember to take it wherever I happened to be. I couldn’t resist buying the third one today because I bought a collapsible washing up bowl and received a £10 Amazon voucher for buying from a small business. Then there was the Prime Day discount so the 4K Firestick has cost me just £19.
And in answer to the OP’s question, when setting up the first two, I used the Avtex USB and all worked well. No message about not enough power. Good luck

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Bought one on the deal. When it arrives its of to a man that can make it do magic 👌😇 I'm not so sure but been told I need one in my life. Not really one for TV got all I need on the www

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I got the low power message on one of my Tv but proceeded anyway it works fine

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Bought one on the deal. When it arrives its of to a man that can make it do magic 👌😇 I'm not so sure but been told I need one in my life. Not really one for TV got all I need on the www
It’s pretty good out of the box.
Why risk screwing it up to watch media you haven’t paid for?

edit. I’ve made an assumption the hack is to put on an app like Cinema HD that trolls the internet for media not locked behind a firewall. Either because it’s a different geographic location or meant to be found as pirate.
Apologies If there is a legit reason to not use the Firestick as it is out of the box. That would be interesting to rad 👍🏻

Feb 2, 2019
Teesside
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 726
Exp
Since 2019
I bought the 4K Firestick a couple of weeks ago. During initial set up I was asked to select a TV manufacturer from the drop down menu to enable all the Firestick remote controls to operate the TV. Unfortunately Avtec wasn’t on the drop down list.

I continued on through the set up without selecting a manufacturer and now find that the fast forward and rewind buttons don’t work on the either the Firestick or TV remotes. Also Volume only works on TV. Frustrating.

Anyone found a way round Avtex not being on the Drop Down list?

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Anyone found a way round Avtex not being on the Drop Down list?
We’ve just tried ours this evening as we’re away and like others got the low power thing, ignored it and carried on.
No Avtex on the list but did see Astex, searched the web and can’t find such a make so was wondering if it was a spelling error. We chose ‘make not listed’ for now. Will try it again tomorrow, we would like to run it from our 4g phone allowance using hot spot if that’s possible.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I bought one n the deal too and have set it up and working at home on a spare TV for which we have no aerial signal so using home broadband.
Going away tomorrow, if I unplug it and put it in the Avtex in the van, will it start the setup process over for connecting to phone hotspot and will it mess up the settings and make it difficult to put back 8n the TV at home?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Mine 4K version seems to be a bit picky sometimes needs more power than the tv can provide.
The booster power gadget has electronics in it that maintains a constant current and voltage.
Couldn’t see the point as we’ve got enough usb points near enough to the tv to use instead.

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
I didn’t think our 21.5” avtex was 4K but only Hd so never went for the 4K fire stick & bought the HD version which I think uses less power

5F1E49E4-5128-4754-AC77-75D0AD9848C6.png

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
That deal looks like just the Firestick and remote. No power lead of any sort?
No, It does come with all cables and adapter and batts. I bought the light as don't really need 4k in van and thought it might not need as much power.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back