Firefox (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I have a desktop running Ubuntu 18.04 with 8gb of ram. I chose the Firefox browser because of security and ad blocking. However recently it was more challenging to use, firstly it wouldn't display PDF files without downloading them and now if I print from a website it crashes. So now it's gone and I'm using Chromium instead. I found an email address to report these issues but in the acknowledgement it said the mailbox was not monitored - so what's the point of publishing it. Anyone else have these problems?
Thanks.

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
I’ve used Firefox for years with absolutely no issues, just taken the most recent update about a week ago and it’s been performing perfectly as usual. I’m not technically gifted so can’t offer alternative reasons as to why you might have experienced difficulty but someone will be along shortly, I’m sure, to offer their thoughts.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I use Firefox on Win 10, Lynix & Android without problems.
I'm sure there is an option on how to handle PDF's.

OP
OP

Deleted User
I’ve used Firefox for years with absolutely no issues, just taken the most recent update about a week ago and it’s been performing perfectly as usual. I’m not technically gifted so can’t offer alternative reasons as to why you might have experienced difficulty but someone will be along shortly, I’m sure, to offer their thoughts.
Also used Firefox for years with no problems.
+1 for Firefox for years and years, no problems (y)

Mick

Thanks for your replies.
I had used it for many years on the desktop and still do on my phone and tablet. However, I'm in the middle of a large restoration project and frequently need to access and print documents and files from the web so this is why I've binned it now. Perhaps you could try printing something from the web please, such as a screen print, and let me know how you get on. It could be the interface with Ubuntu that's causing the problem, unfortunately I don't have the time or fortitude to fix it now.
Thanks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
My first choice for browsing is Firefox and second is DuckDuckGo, always found both 99% reliable. I only use Google Chrome when absolutely necessary.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
However, I'm in the middle of a large restoration project and frequently need to access and print documents and files from the web so this is why I've binned it now.

Using a free product, Firefox. Surely if it's that key there are other browsers available, though they might need to be paid for.

I found an email address to report these issues but in the acknowledgement it said the mailbox was not monitored - so what's the point of publishing it.

They'll probably have a manned help desk as they will have revenue to fund it :giggle:

Mick

OP
OP

Deleted User
Thanks Lenny.
I tried this and I have a PDF viewer on the machine. However FF won't link to it to view the document in the browser, the only way is to download it and view it outside the application. I can still see it but it''s such a faff to have to go through this each time.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Have you been back to the options page in FF and seen what choice for the handling of the pdf extension is in use?
1583146743586.png

If it looks like acrobat reader is chosen, maybe select 'Other' and browse to Acrobat Reader manually.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Firefox in conjunction with Foxit [free] is what I use - hate Adobe bloated & intrusive
https://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf-reader/
There is a Linux version [32 & 64 bit]

Is it practical to use FF's screenshot facility & print your docs from there - pasted into word - or do you need the .pdf format.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back