LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Following on from Wildmans thread about Chrome I thought I would try Firefox. However I am having a problem with it.

I get some dialogue boxes encouraging me to do an update because "map2 are out of date for the system. The attached pictures show the dialogues. I am unhappy to run the set up as something does not feel right. I have done a clean install of firefox and run malware bytes

Running windows 7 the messages were received when accessing MHfun
Any advice on how to proceed.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• firefox1.png
    firefox1.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 51
  • firefox2.png
    firefox2.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 45
  • firefox3.png
    firefox3.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 45

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
May be trying g to update your graphics card driver. I would make sure your pc drivers are up to date using Windows update and your manufacturers web site and then have another look at firefox

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Looking at this Broken Link Removed or this one and the source of the setup file in your third picture it suggests that you've picked up a nasty somewhere. There isn't a lot else about it online which suggests it's probably pretty new. This page shows that not much picks it up at the moment. Perhaps try BitDefender as that is one that does think it's a nasty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
That sure is an obscure error message. Are you installing the right version for your windows and is it coming from mozilla.org?

The xy5g Web page doesn't seem to be accessible and as NickNic says above vafdriver is odd. Sounds like it has nothing to do with Firefox unless the site you are downloading it from is compromised.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
Yes I downloaded from the Mozilla website.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
The whois data for vafdriver.com doesn't look good. It's hidden behind a anonymous site which nothing else connected with Mozilla is. Also it has changed servers 6 times in 5 years which is slightly unusual for something connected with a company like Mozilla. If you have the slighted doubt email those screenshots to Mozilla. They will soon tell you if it's theirs.

Jaime

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 years
My Firefox isn't asking me to update so I think you would be wise to ignore that message and run a virus check.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
having loaded firefox I find it rejects my gmail log in details will the problems never end. It was supposed to have transfered my passwords and favourites from chrome, well it did the favourites and thats all.

OP
OP
lunarman

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
The problem has been fixed(y)

Following Nicknics' advice I asked the question of Mozilla. They confirmed that it was nothing to do with them and my PC had been infected by a nasty:(

They gave me a number of ways to solve the problem, including running some anti malware scans.Running Malwarebytes gave the pc a clean bill of health:( They also then suggested downloading Adwcleaner, I could not beleive what that found and cleared. The problem was gone.

It seems that these malwares had been on my PC for some time and only came to light when I downloaded Firefox. I have run Malwarebytes regularly but it never picked up anything, I will now be running adwcleaner on a regular basis as well.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back