G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
I am also thinking of fire tv stick for the van but does anyone know if you can power it from usb on avtex tv as only one 12v socket near tv?

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Have been using firestick in the van successfully for some time ,can pick up home wifi,fon or data .
Kodi on its way out as lots of providers have pulled the plug ,due to big brother brigade.
but plenty other apk apps to load and watch you favorites as you go (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Not sure if this would apply to the Firestick too - but I have a Chromecast which works very well, clever bit of kit... but:
...in the course of my work, I stay in many hotels around the world and I have never yet managed to get it to work on the hotel wifi network.
Something to do with not being able to connect to the base network router.
Anyway I generally prefer to watch pre-downloaded content via my tablet & hdmi cable - and if I really must watch 'live' tv, there's always Kodi ;).
I am still playing with my Chromecast. I have unlimited data use on my Samsung phone, and I bought the Chromecast so I could "cast" Netflix for example onto the TV in the van.

The trouble is, that if I set up my phone as a hotspot, the Chromecast links to it, but I hate to turn off the hotspot to use Netflicks

It all works great on WiFi in the house but I am missing a trick in the camper so I need to fiddle more with it. Google tells me that there are loads of ways of "fooling" the setup to allow me to take advantage of unlimited 4G data but it is an exercise in frustration lol

I will have another bash at it.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
@eddievanbitz
I maybe misunderstanding but Chromecast needs a wifi signal to work.
So your phone's hotspot is acting as your router at home, allowing several different devices to connect, effectively creating a wifi network within your van???
Does streaming netflix via your phone somehow conflict with chromecast.

Would a workaround be;
Phone as hotspot
Netflix streamed via a different device - another phone, tablet or laptop
Chromecast does its thing
?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
@eddievanbitz
I maybe misunderstanding but Chromecast needs a wifi signal to work.
So your phone's hotspot is acting as your router at home, allowing several different devices to connect, effectively creating a wifi network within your van???
Does streaming netflix via your phone somehow conflict with chromecast.

Would a workaround be;
Phone as hotspot
Netflix streamed via a different device - another phone, tablet or laptop
Chromecast does its thing
?
The device and the Chromecast have to be on the same WiFi network. So yes I could use my iPad to set up the local WiFi network, but I don't have unlimited data on my iPad

There is a way, I just need to play with it some more lol

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use a firestickin the van and yes it need a USB connection as well to power it and the hdmi cable. Works well with my 30gb data allowance and I could use the site will fi if I wanted to pay for it.
I'll use the iboost when I can get a wi fi connection that I can use!
I do tend to download programmes from my TV to a hard drive to watch later though.
Mostly soaps and documentaries.

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Thanks for reply, i also tend to download films to iPad, but ocassionally we want TV and struggle with reception on a lot of sites.
What I need to know is if the Avtex TV will power it from its USB socket?
The TV stick is on offer at the moment hence the interest.
We have fire TV at home but not the dongle

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks for reply, i also tend to download films to iPad, but ocassionally we want TV and struggle with reception on a lot of sites.
What I need to know is if the Avtex TV will power it from its USB socket?
The TV stick is on offer at the moment hence the interest.
We have fire TV at home but not the dongle
I suspect the USB socket in your TV is for hard drives only and not to 'power' other stuff ... what does the TV manual say?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm not in anyway judging -

There was a guy up north facing a prison sentence for selling modified sticks that could stream copyright material, change in the law and the need to make an example of some poor sod, I don't know the final outcome but the copyright guys have a lot of cash of try and stamp out piracy.

G8UZQ

Free Member
Jun 8, 2016
South Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
TV manual does not say, but people use usb on domestic TV to power the firestick.
Just that we only have one 12v cigarette socket near the TV no mains.
I can swap the cigarette socket for double usb and power TV from usb socket but a lot of tweaking so not that deserate to watch TV at the moment so will probably wait until the summer

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back