Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
What do you make of fire pits on sites

I am sat on a lovely site with very clean showers lovely owners and a very well kept site BUT for some reason the owners allow fire pits and actively promote them he has about 8 that you can borrow free of charge

So I am now sat here in my MH with all the windows and vents closed as the 2 pvc vans behind me both have fire pits going and the smoke is poring all over our pitch and it stinks

I personally do not agree with them on sites I have paid £38 in good faith for 2 nights to end up sitting in a smoke screen

Do you agree with fire pits or fires on sites you have paid to go on I checked the website and can not see where it says they are allowed nor does it say they are not

Would you go on a site and pay and be happy if surroundings vans had fires

Me personally I don't agree with it and I would not come back here for that sole reason

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
100% support your stand on this

only possible benefit would be fending off Scottish midges, (y) other than that they should be well controlled or banned

wind direction could easily make or break someone elses pitch for smoke effects

not to mention sparks on awnings and paintwork o_O

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We went to a campsite not far from Tintern Abbey, there were fire pits at every pitch. Luckily, the site wasn't arranged in rows, just well spaced out pitches in a field. We, together with just about everybody else spent the evening round our fire pits, looking across the valley and watching the twinkling stars.
Luckily, no one appeared to be getting smoked out as we were in a large open field, but I agree with you, I wouldn't want to be choking on someone else smoke on a site.
Fire pits are ok if the site is big enough.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Used sensibly and away from mo-homes .. yes..

We have one here and it`s always set up with peoples comfort at the forefront and in mind.. :)

But would you set it up 10 metres behind someone on a campsite with the wind blowing towards them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
But would you set it up 10 metres behind someone on a campsite with the wind blowing towards them

If the wind was blowing that bad... would not allow it...

But all the funsters we have had here and have used it have been switched on and sensible... (y)

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
We worked on campsites when we retired and I’ve seen a tent go up in flames + a motorhome catch fire both causes by barbecues so my ans would be no

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If a site promotes their use & has free ones to borrow as part of their USP... and I disagreed with their use, then I wouldn't go to that site.
The only question is if freely available to those who may have no experience using them, safety might be an issue.

You can't control who has a bonfire or a smokey bbq in a neighbouring garden either.

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
If a site promotes their use & has free ones to borrow as part of their USP... and I disagreed with their use, then I wouldn't go to that site.

Yes I agree but we didn't know about them till we got here well till about 8pm when they started lighting them

Needless to say I will never return here again neither will I recommend the site

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Yes I agree but we didn't know about them till we got here well till about 8pm when they started lighting them

Needless to say I will never return here again neither will I recommend the site
Perhaps you should name the site though because even without your recommendation some Funsters might enjoy being able to have a firepit...

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
We go to Breck Farm, Weybourne every year. The main reason we go is because you can have a fire pit.
If you dont like smoke and smell better not go to a Steam rally.

Andy

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Being asthmatic, pitched on a site where several folks close to me can light a fire on their pitch, would be a nightmare for me. :(
At least at Shell Island, when there with Funsters, I could sit upwind of the fire pit, and on Steam Rallies, I can avoid the smoke in a similar manner.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
Don't know why they have to a) start fires and b) barbecue everything over here. Puts me off of sites to be honest, and some of them are no doubt the same people who are moaning about diesel fumes killing their children but happy to inhale all sorts of other noxious cr@p.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
not when you have a field of motorhomes full of diesel, propane gas, awnings, children and dogs running around.

It's also polluting, stinks, stays on you and your clothing and motorhome and can set off a raging forest fire with the sparks.

Done carefully, on a beach away from others, and any risk and I mean remote, fabulous!

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Frigg me had to shut all the windows again 2nd night on the trot it's not even dark or cold and 2 people have fire pits lit already bloody pointless will not be coming back here again

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Frigg me had to shut all the windows again 2nd night on the trot it's not even dark or cold and 2 people have fire pits lit already bloody pointless will not be coming back here again
I'll bet you feel like you just want to go over to their pitches and pi$$ on their fire pits. :sneaky:

I know I would feel like that.........................but most folks are bigger than me, so I tend not to bother. :LOL:

Jock. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
If i had not had a drink i would leave its bloody ridiculous is all right for them with fires they are sat up wind of the smoke but we are down wind of it some pdople have no courtesy for others and as for the owner promoting fire pits and lending them out i hope someones awning goes up obviouxly with no one in it but it may make the sites owners think again about their stupidity

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Given your first night rant, I am surprised you stayed for the second - even if you had to waste a pitch fee :whistle:...
Where is this pyromaniac's delight... ?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Given your first night rant, I am surprised you stayed for the second - even if you had to waste a pitch fee :whistle:...
Where is this pyromaniac's delight... ?
My thoughts exactly...I'd have left this morning. With a refund after complaining loudly.

Then I'd have parked up outside the campsite

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Had to leave and come home luckily I had one of those Breatherlizer kits I took to France a few weeks back still in the MH

Had a blow on that and I was fine to drive luckily only had 1 bottle

Our pitch was not fit to stay on it stunk beyond belief the smoke from 2 fire pits was constantly drifting across our pitch we were unable to sit outside and resorted to sitting in the MH with all the doors windows and roof vents shut on quite a muggy night

Tried to put the air con on but could still smell the smoke

I will be ringing the site tomorrow to ask for my money back as I had to leave at 8.30 we had No choice really

OP
OP
Lanerboy

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
No not in Wales I will not disclose the venue just yet as the owners were really lovely but in my opinion they have this fire pit rule all wrong I have sent them an email asking for 1 nights pitch fee out of the 2 to be refunded due to us being unable to use the pitch as we feel we should have been able to as follows

sit outside our motorhome and enjoy the evening

sit inside our motorhome and sleep with the windows open

I must stress at this point I have now read on their website that fire pits are allowed so maybe an over site on my side but I still stand that if paying £19 per night you should be able to enjoy the pitch you have paid for without smoke bellowing over you all evening

I have not put this thread up to name and shame the site, it was put up as a poll to find out how may people agree or disagree with fires on sites you are paying to use and looking at the results the majority of people on here would rather not stay on sites with fires.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
I'll bet you feel like you just want to go over to their pitches and pi$$ on their fire pits. :sneaky:

I know I would feel like that.........................but most folks are bigger than me, so I tend not to bother. :LOL:

Jock. ;)
Yirr definitely no fae Govan ( Glesga) then Jock

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back