fire extinguisher (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Neither. I have a Water Mist extinguisher, safe on a wider range of fires including electrical up to 1,000V. Dry powder does too much damage and CO2 is not to be used on A Class fires (wood, paper or anything that produces ash).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure what's best but dry powder makes a hell of a mess and you never ever get rid of it ... ever! Nowadays the slightest sight of it by customs would ensure that you got up close and personal with some of the the Drug Enforcement officials! :oops:

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Neither. I have a Water Mist extinguisher, safe on a wider range of fires including electrical up to 1,000V. Dry powder does too much damage and CO2 is not to be used on A Class fires (wood, paper or anything that produces ash).
Ditto for sure. A bit mor expensive but if needed to be used then saves lots of damage to the fabric as well as putting the fire out

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
Dry powder for me every time, yes it makes a mess but it does clean up (I have done so on many occasions following training and public demonstrations) and is very efficient no matter who uses it, water mist are good but cost and size for same level of effectiveness is higher, the main issue with CO2 is they do not last long and when used by untrained people they are generally wasted due to the shock of the noise when activated, they also need to be correctly directed to the base of the flame to be effective.

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Got rid of powder ones after reading reports of horrendous mess, as well as damage caused by intake to the Diesel engines of boats. Moved to Firepal nano (similar to water mist?).

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I use Firetool extinguishers in both my vehicles. Compact, and safe for use on any type of fire. Fire Safety Sticks are very similar.
I also carry a powder extinguisher in the cab of my van, as a cheaper backup, and I have a fire blanket.
I did a training course with the Fire Brigade on operating various types of fire extinguishers as I was a fire marshall at a previous job.

firetool.co.uk

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Just a few month ago a longish thread covered your question, with some answers from professionals....worth searching for it..

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I use Firetool extinguishers in both my vehicles. Compact, and safe for use on any type of fire. Fire Safety Sticks are very similar.
I also carry a powder extinguisher in the cab of my van, as a cheaper backup, and I have a fire blanket.
I did a training course with the Fire Brigade on operating various types of fire extinguishers as I was a fire marshall at a previous job.

firetool.co.uk
Just looked at Firetool's videos ... can't say I'm that happy with it taking longer to extinguish a fire than the C02 and that you need to get closer to the fire to use it efficiently, also that once the container is empty that's it whereas with a C02 one you can continue if needs be.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Water mist is the way to go these days. The one extinguisher that does it all. Solids, liquids, gas, fats, electricals without leaving a mess behind that it sometimes worse than the fire. CO2 are pretty hopeless. They extinguish things immediately, but don't actually cool things down (despite the ice on the nozzle). Therefore, as soon as you stop, up it goes again. If mist is too expensive, I'd go for AFFF.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I think the reason why CO2 should not be used on wood, paper etc is that it can blast hot ashes out of the area which might spread the fire. I would welcome a fire experts view on why they are not suitable for as many types of fire as water mist ones.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think the reason why CO2 should not be used on wood, paper etc is that it can blast hot ashes out of the area which might spread the fire. I would welcome a fire experts view on why they are not suitable for as many types of fire as water mist ones.

They blow things around and don't cool the fire. Most extinguishers work on two principles, removing oxygen and removing heat, which stops the pyrolysing of solid material into gaseous fuel which readily burns. CO2 has very limited cooling effect, so the hot fuel continues to turn into gas, ready to reignite once the oxygen returns when the CO2 runs out.

Water based extinguishers, including water mist, AFFF etc, provided significant cooling effects as well as excluding oxygen, which means that after the extinguishant has dispersed, the fuel is too cold to support immediate re-ignition.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Just looked at Firetool's videos ... can't say I'm that happy with it taking longer to extinguish a fire than the C02 and that you need to get closer to the fire to use it efficiently, also that once the container is empty that's it whereas with a C02 one you can continue if needs be.
The Firetool extinguishers (the 2 smaller ones) have a discharge time of 12+ seconds against a 2kg CO2 extinguisher's discharge time of 10seconds, so not much in it, and you can discharge the Firetools from 10' away from the fire which is plenty. If the fire is too big to fight at that distance, you're past worrying about hand held extinguishers.
CO2 extinguishers don't cool the fire, they suffocate it, which means fires can re-ignite when the CO2 expires. They can also spread the fire/embers about, effectively spreading the fire and increasing the damaged area.
I saw the Firetools at a motorhome event a few years ago, and bought mine as a result. I'll probably change them when their shelf life has expired for Fire Safety Sticks as the latter have at least a 10 second longer discharge time depending on which you buy. At the motorhome converters I was at recently, I noticed they were using Fire Safety Sticks on all their installations.
That said, I do also have a powder extinguisher in the cab of my van. It was given to me as a gift!
Fires in motorhomes/vans spread frighteningly quickly. If you need longer than you have in the extinguisher to put the fire out, you should really get out of the vehicle, even though that will often go against what you want to do. I know I'd find it very hard to leave mine to a fire... :cry:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure what's best but dry powder makes a hell of a mess and you never ever get rid of it ... ever! Nowadays the slightest sight of it by customs would ensure that you got up close and personal with some of the the Drug Enforcement officials! :oops:

Mel

When you say the 'sight of it' do you mean the extinguisher, or the powder remnants if you have had to discharge it?

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The Firetool extinguishers (the 2 smaller ones) have a discharge time of 12+ seconds against a 2kg CO2 extinguisher's discharge time of 10seconds, so not much in it, and you can discharge the Firetools from 10' away from the fire which is plenty. If the fire is too big to fight at that distance, you're past worrying about hand held extinguishers.
CO2 extinguishers don't cool the fire, they suffocate it, which means fires can re-ignite when the CO2 expires. They can also spread the fire/embers about, effectively spreading the fire and increasing the damaged area.
I saw the Firetools at a motorhome event a few years ago, and bought mine as a result. I'll probably change them when their shelf life has expired for Fire Safety Sticks as the latter have at least a 10 second longer discharge time depending on which you buy. At the motorhome converters I was at recently, I noticed they were using Fire Safety Sticks on all their installations.
That said, I do also have a powder extinguisher in the cab of my van. It was given to me as a gift!
Fires in motorhomes/vans spread frighteningly quickly. If you need longer than you have in the extinguisher to put the fire out, you should really get out of the vehicle, even though that will often go against what you want to do. I know I'd find it very hard to leave mine to a fire... :cry:
I understand the difference methods they use to put out a fire, it was just an observation about he time and 'distance' you need to be to use the stick as opposed to a 'normal' type of extinguisher. How do they rate against a powder one I wonder?

As for having a fire in a MH ... we've experienced a 5ft blowtorch in a previous one ... that's not an exaggeration either so I totally understand the need to get out if it starts getting out of hand rather than try to keep battling on, fortunately we were able to stop it but it did do some damage but getting rid of the powder was a nightmare afterwards and we were still finding it when we px'd it a few years later!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel

When you say the 'sight of it' do you mean the extinguisher, or the powder remnants if you have had to discharge it?

Geoff
No the remnants of the powder on the floor, in the cupboards etc :giggle: ... once you've use one in a MH you will find bits of powder all over it for years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back