Fire Extinguisher recommendations (1 Viewer)

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
1 year (getting a bit experienced now)
What type and size of fire extinguisher would be most suited for Motor home use and where would be the best place to fix it, thanks

OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Thought that would be the place by the Hab door and maybe a second one in the cab area. Was just not sure what size and type would be best

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I have one these by the hab door - Broken Link Removed

But.............
I also have a commercial 5 Kg I was given under the table - Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A good bet might be a fire blanket and a powder extinguisher, the fire blanket would be a lot cleaner if you had a little fire on the cooker, if you get a powder extinguisher for near the door I understand that you should turn them over periodically as the powder tends to pack down with the vibration of driving.

Sure there will be somebody who knows more than me though.

Martin

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
2 x 1kg Powder. One by the hab door which is at the rear and one in the cab behind passenger seat. Catch fire where ever it starts.

Forgot the blanket as well by cooker.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I have two; one in the hab area and one in the cab that is quick and handy in case of an engine fire or to help another road user.
A fire blanket is good to have too.

If you are going to fix it in the hab area near the door, make sure that you won't bang your head or leg on it each time you enter the van! Also, be careful when drilling bracket holes that you don't snag any hidden lighting cables.

As far a the type goes, there are other posts regarding this subject. You can do a search on here, or google.

Here's what I have (see pic) It covers A,B,and C Class fires. They need 'inverting' occasionally to ensure the mixture doesn't settle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 114
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tweedie

Tweedie

Free Member
Sep 14, 2015
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 740
Exp
Thanks all, useful advice as always, reckon the fire blanket is a good idea as well, more stuff to buy(y)

Upvote 0

Deleted User
Do what the manufacturers do and stick a 1kg powder near your hab, or cab door.

Don't forget you have a tank full of water (a cupful will sort out many small fires) and ignore all the nonsense claimed by some manufacturers of "modern" extinguishers.

Prevention is always better than cure, most fires are cooking related, so be blooming careful when you're knocking up the full English. Get any wiring work done properly (no bodging folks) and if you're one of those filthy smelly smokers, remember poor old Fred smoked in bed.

Oh and if you're one of those vapers (less smelly smokers) then don't charge your thingymajig when your asleep, or out of the van.

Disclaimer, not all smokers are smelly, any resemblance to any person, living or dead is purely coincidental.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi.. I've made my views known a few times before on the best choice of extinguisher for the MH or house imo...so at the risk of boring you all again lol...
If you can get a water spray or fog type or an afff foam ..
Best option all round and if it's a concern they are suitable for use on fires where live electrics are involved but obviously isolating the supply if possible is best.. The real advantage is the cooling effect and less chance of reigniting. ..
If I had to buy another I would contact Simon @TheCaller .
He posted a link to a water mist extinguisher he had in a previous thread on the subject... and I remember thinking I would buy one of them if the need ever arose..
Here's the one I carry now..
20160131_151835.jpg

Upvote 0

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
There is a new technology available now which is used on the space station, see PFE 1 extinguishers on Amazon. Its non toxic and leaves the atmosphere okay after use, leaves no residue and is highly suited to motorhomes as its very small.

31ZxertTDoL.jpg

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There is a new technology available now which is used on the space station, see PFE 1 extinguishers on Amazon. Its non toxic and leaves the atmosphere okay after use, leaves no residue and is highly suited to motorhomes as its very small.

31ZxertTDoL.jpg
That extinguisher was discussed on here some time ago..
Lot of sceptics including myself but only because of the lack of information on the extinguishing media and it's certification...
I can't remember but think the conclusion reached was that a chemical reaction produced the extinguishing agent which may have been water mist...Can't recollect.
The other issue was its British standard or whatever that it didn't appear to be able to comply with for some reason...
The videos of it in use were impressive...
I may have to change my thoughts on it but thought the manufacturer could have been more forthcoming with answers to the questions at the time...
Ta andy.

Upvote 0

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Its very new and the UK suppliers are just getting going, already the National Caravan Council has changed its guidance and these are now recommended.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
The marketing blurb for that extinguisher is exactly what I was referring to in my post ;)

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
If I had to buy another I would contact Simon @TheCaller .
He posted a link to a water mist extinguisher he had in a previous thread on the subject... and I remember thinking I would buy one of them if the need ever arose..
That was in this thread -

Help - Which Fire Extinguisher

I've got one of these:
Broken Link Removed

It's a Jewel Saffire Dry Water Mist Fire extinguisher. Usable on all the likely fires in a camper van, including fuel, fat & electrical.

I got mine from www.safelincs.co.uk, who are as near to 'just down the road' from me as anyone is in Lincolnshire.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back