Fire at storage (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Ralph has a lock up for his work plant and equipment. It's situated at a caravan storage place near Wrenthorpe , where we live.
We don't store our Motorhome there , we don't feel it's as secure as it should be.
Anyways , the other day he called up there to get a mini digger , for a job he was doing.
Early that morning a fire had started in a caravan and quickly , and completely burnt out 5 others. It melted 4 others and the whole rear of a Motorhome. The high winds hadn't helped the matter.
It turns out after investigation they think it was wiring in the first one to go up. Probably by a mouse chewing wires , or electrical fault. These were all new or nearly new. Not old cronky things.
One of them a 15 k caravan wasn't insured. But regularly taken out on trips by its owners. :Eeek:
I thought they'd have to be insured , like cars. I know we always had our caravans in the past , insured and serviced.
It makes you think , when in storage , they are parked up quite close to each other. :whatthe:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sounds like penny wise pounds foolish, though I really do feel for them that's not insured.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
though I really do feel for them that's not insured.

This is a really tough one, I too feel for their loss, but they have probably made the decision to save the cost of the insurance

I remember years ago a group of pensioners in Towyn, Wales, 'bleating' that they had no insurance when the sea came over the wall. It was completely their choice to save the cost of insurance, why should we then reimburse them, unless there is a genuine counter claim

sorry to take a tough stand, but my parents brought me up to always be covered, we have paid thousands more than we have claimed, (so far), but sleep a little more comfortably

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
If they were to be involved in an accident or flip over in a strong wind, would they be insured under the car insurance . I wouldn't have thought so.
I don't have sympathy for people who don't insure houses , cars , caravans , or any thing of value. Their choice.
But Ralph says the only one that wasn't insured is going to try and claim against the caravan that the fire started in ? Don't know how that will pan out.
So they will probably get bailed out. Which annoys me , just like all these affected by floods , that aren't insured. Getting bailed out.
I don't mean them that have been flooded before and can't get insurance. That must be hard.
I mean those that just don't bother to insure in the first place.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
no legal requirement for insurance on caravans and trailers...and that includes £50000 5th wheelers.

While the caravan is on tow its covered for 3rd party claims but not your own claim.
When static theres no cover unless insured seperately or maybe still attached for 3rd party purposes..

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If they were to be involved in an accident or flip over in a strong wind, would they be insured under the car insurance . I wouldn't have thought so.
I don't have sympathy for people who don't insure houses , cars , caravans , or any thing of value. Their choice.
But Ralph says[HI] the only one that wasn't insured is going to try and claim against the caravan that the fire started in ? [/HI]Don't know how that will pan out.
So they will probably get bailed out. Which annoys me , just like all these affected by floods , that aren't insured. Getting bailed out.
I don't mean them that have been flooded before and can't get insurance. That must be hard.
I mean those that just don't bother to insure in the first place.

thats how it works.....

Just as in a car crash if you get rear ended...you dont claim off the car in front, you claim off the one that hit you.....and if pushed forwards into the car in front that owner will claim from you.

Their problem will be, if they werent the last to burn the next in line will claim from them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
How will that work then pappa , if there not insured ?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All the van owners (or there insurers ) will claim off the first van to go up insurance - they may well pay up for there customers but they will all claim off the first one eventually :winky:Even the one who is not insured will get a ambulance chasing co to make a claim
terry

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Gosh, bet there's a few stressed people at the moment then. I've often thought vans and caravans were parked too close to each other. But with the strong winds we've had the ones in the row In front ( a road width away ) weren't burnt but melted with the heat. What a nightmare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back