Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Prestige SE 175
Exp
I'm new
I bought one of these and have had 'mixed' success with recording to the USB. Sometimes it records as I think it should and at other times it does nothing. I have used the EPG to select a programme to record, I have then ensured the correct channel is selected and put the TV onto stand by mode. At first this seemed to work fine but recently it has failed to record, more than it has done. I contacted Finlux where you are obliged to use 'live chat' after nearly 2 hours of live chat and 3 separate chats Finlux position is now:-

'You can record from a Finlux TV while the actual programme you wish to record is at that time being broadcast from a TV which is switched on and playing, and you can also set a timer to record future programmes but the TV must be on and playing that channel'

This to me is crazy, I expect to be able to record when I am not watching the TV, when I am out, in bed etc.
Does anyone else have a similar TV and if so how do they record to the USB?
Cheers

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
We have exactly the same TV but the 19in version.
We do exactly as you describe and it has not failed to record.
Oh Dear, perhaps I shouldn't have said that :whistle::whistle:
Perhaps there is a fault. Is it still in warranty?

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
We have exactly the same TV but the 19in version.
We do exactly as you describe and it has not failed to record.
Oh Dear, perhaps I shouldn't have said that :whistle::whistle:
Perhaps there is a fault. Is it still in warranty?

Same here on the 19".

Trikeman.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The USB is powered by the TV. If the TV is turned off it cannot record.
EDIT should work on standby What does your user manual say?

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DurhamSpartan

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Prestige SE 175
Exp
I'm new
It is still under warranty and someone from Finlux is meant to ring me tomorrow, so the fact that others are recording as we were will be my staring point. Finlux 'live chat' could not explain to me why it had stopped recording. I appreciate that if the TV is turned off at the plug then the USB will not be powered but I always leave it in standby mode - a red light remains on the TV on the front. Thanks for the responses so far.

John W

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I would say that it's a TV with a recording facility.... It's not a fully functional PVR.
So probably useful if you're watching something, then have to go out etc.
I guess Finlux don't sell it as having timer recording.
I think mine is brilliant, cheap as chips, miserly power consumption, good picture, multi region DVD player AND some recording capabilities - all for under £150

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Quickly reading an online user manual it does say that the USB device must be plugged in when the TV is turned off to enable it. If you plug yours in and out for other uses this may be the problem?

• To record a programme, you should first connect a USB disk to your TV while the TV is switched off. You should then switch on the TV to enable
    recording feature. Otherwise, recording feature will not be available.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I also presume the electronics & software are El cheapo Chinese - so the difference between one model & another, or even between two instances of the same model could be down to slight variations in either components or firmware.
I've found quite often that the 'manufacturers' or retailers are often unaware of some of the features these microchip possess.

OP
OP
D

DurhamSpartan

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Prestige SE 175
Exp
I'm new
Yes it is. It worked perfectly and I have recorded over 15 hours. Now it will no longer record as it did previously. It is only in the last week that it stopped recording as it did and I think it should do.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes it is. It worked perfectly and I have recorded over 15 hours. Now it will no longer record as it did previously. It is only in the last week that it stopped recording as it did and I think it should do.
Try re-formatting the USB stick or try a different one. It's not unknown for them to become corrupted (for no obvious reason).

OP
OP
D

DurhamSpartan

Free Member
Feb 16, 2015
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Elddis Prestige SE 175
Exp
I'm new
Well I should have remembered earlier the advice I always got from the IT department at work. So I switched the TV off at the wall removed the USB for a few minutes reinstalled and switched on. Programmed it to start recording at 7pm and it did! Let's hope it continues to work. Thanks to all for your helpful posts most appreciated.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Exactly as I said earlier
  • To record a programme, you should first connect a USB disk to your TV while the TV is switched off. You should then switch on the TV to enable
    recording feature. Otherwise, recording feature will not be available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back