LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
I can't see from your document what you're being fined for fracao andar seems to translate as fraction floor ( could guess at meaning overhang) but doesn't state this as the offence.
Does anyone know what would happen if you just ignored it? Can they come after you in Ireland?
yes -with no portuguese and a google translation-it makes no sense.
-so i will say it again--- as far as i know we were legitimately parked-we moved on when the police said that we could not stay for even one night-what else did we need to do.
we left there in all confidence that there was no problem.
Surely someone has a proper explanation as to why they
want to fine us?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Camping?
Shoes outside, Step out, Door open Bikes unloaded.

Putting anything on, outside or under the parked vehicle can be construed as camping. We were told that in Spain.
The Guardia pointed to the raised roof top satellite dish and said "camping". All windows and doors shut, step in and nothing out, on or under the van. He then walked away.
Fact

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Is there another page to the documentation at all?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Unfortunately in my experience all cops are very friendly when they have you bang to rights. I'd say they had decided you were camping before you got back, was any thing left under the van?

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Perhaps you should listen!
The criteria quoted is that used to distinguish between parking and camping!
This may be the reason for the fine.

John and Joan WERE trying to be helpful!

what possible connection can there be between what a guardia once said in Spain and this discussion.?
Do you seriously think that i need an explanation of the
likely thinking on the difference between parking and camping in two adjoining countrys?
maybe you need a rethink!!!

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I will just try one more time. :)

Is the photo that you posted the only page you received in the letter, or are there others? If so it might be helpful to see them :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@JJ posted something about this in a recent thread.
I remembered . It was along the lines that his Portugese lawyer stated that if yo do not speak Portugese then the fine paperwork wasn't legal. You'll have to wait for JJ to confirm it though.

so you wanna see the picture? --View attachment 85840
Yes & the step is out & door open ? Wouldn't 'park' a car like it therefore they'd state that it was ' camping '.

Camping?
Shoes outside, Step out, Door open Bikes unloaded.

Putting anything on, outside or under the parked vehicle can be construed as camping. We were told that in Spain.
The Guardia pointed to the raised roof top satellite dish and said "camping". All windows and doors shut, step in and nothing out, on or under the van. He then walked away.

I think he is right as Portugese regs are more or less the same.

are you just being obnoxious,or can you not read?
we had a pleasant conversation with the police-no mention of any problem.
stop talking s--t

Bit offensive really wasn't it ? J& J have more or less pointed to the possible problem. Just because you had a " pleasant conversation " with them means nothing. They know that they are going to issue a fine whether they are pleasant or nasty & its less aggro by being pleasant. No one takes a photo unless they are up to something. That's why with any officials the first thing you do is record what was spoken verbally using a mobile phone.

-so i will say it again--- as far as i know we were legitimately parked-we moved on when the police said that we could not stay for even one night-what else did we need to do.
want to fine us?
I think J&J have hit nail on head. Step out & door open, bikes, etc; isn't 'parked' . + with the possibility that you are overhanging the walkway at the rear.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
yes- if it permissible on this site i will post it all-with many thanks for your interest.it will take some time to assemble it in a logical manner- so i will try to do this tomorrow-thank you
Great - then I will try to get someone who understand the language and the country to take a look at it. I will pm you my email and if you can send me a copy direct I can just forward it on. :)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
what possible connection can there be between what a guardia once said in Spain and this discussion.?
Do you seriously think that i need an explanation of the
likely thinking on the difference between parking and camping in two adjoining countrys?
maybe you need a rethink!!!
Well that is what you appeared to be asking in the op, I'm afraid if you treated the coppers as you are treating some on here who are only trying to help that maybe the reason for your fine.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
"as far as i recall,thats a cycle helmet mam,and i think its parked inside the line.
I at this stage appreciate any help-are you sure there are no "no motorhome " signs?
thanks"

As far as I can recall - there were no 'No Motorhome' signs. Have looked back through my holiday snaps and we had plenty of Paderne, with no signs showing. I am a bit twitchy about wild camping and would not park if there had been signs, no matter how many other vans were there, believe me it was rammed.

Have just checked the camper contact app (as this is how we found out about it) and it has been removed.

I think you have been very unlucky that on that day and time when you were there a policeman happened along that had his jobsworth hat on. I freely admit that if he had come along on the days that we were there he would of made a killing, as the place was packed.

Sorry not to be of much help but that is as definite as I can be,

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
"as far as i recall,thats a cycle helmet mam,and i think its parked inside the line.
I at this stage appreciate any help-are you sure there are no "no motorhome " signs?
thanks"

As far as I can recall - there were no 'No Motorhome' signs. Have looked back through my holiday snaps and we had plenty of Paderne, with no signs showing. I am a bit twitchy about wild camping and would not park if there had been signs, no matter how many other vans were there, believe me it was rammed.

Have just checked the camper contact app (as this is how we found out about it) and it has been removed.

I think you have been very unlucky that on that day and time when you were there a policeman happened along that had his jobsworth hat on. I freely admit that if he had come along on the days that we were there he would of made a killing, as the place was packed.

Sorry not to be of much help but that is as definite as I can be,

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
I appreciate your reply.its 25 years since i first parked in paderne,
in an elderly t2 .
if i had made a parking blunder-i would just pay it.
this time i think i am being shafted-and in my old age
i have decided to REBEL.

Good on you! 252 Euros is disgusting!

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
want to fine us?
You were seen as camping.
Or overhanging
Looks like both tbh

I'm sure you're innocent though and the authorities are just talking s##t
Big fine though :-(

parknride

Free Member
Jan 21, 2014
cumbria
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1988
Er please don't shoot me but you say the "offence" occurred in February and you got home in June to find the fine from Portugal yet you are only seeking advice today?
I can't help sorry but it seems as though the police had already fined you while they were chatting nicely to you.

OP
OP
G

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
Er please don't shoot me but you say the "offence" occurred in February and you got home in June to find the fine from Portugal yet you are only seeking advice today?
I can't help sorry but it seems as though the police had already fined you while they were chatting nicely to you.
i do not have a gun anymore (joke) -the reason i am only seeking advice NOW on the forum-is that since june i have tried privately to solve the problem.
through a friend on here and in the end through a portuguese solicitor-a lot of time was wasted and the solicitor suggested that perhaps a "witness "would be helpful .
So i decided to air my offence in public.
it has brought some interesting suggestions and i am grateful for all the replys.

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Well if a Portuguese solicitor has been involved presumably he will know the exact offence you are being fined for. And as you first posted that it was a parking fine I assume that is what you were told by him. Plus as he is asking if you have witnesses to prove when you left it is presumably an overstaying offence of some sort.

I take it the solicitor was not surprised at the amount you are being fined or he might have suggested you challenge it.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Well I'm going to say it as I'm sure many on here are to shy to. I think you are causing yourself, your family stress and doing your health no good and the best thing to do is pay the fine and move on.
For whatever reason you got fined, if the Portuguese solicitor and your friend could not come up with an answer, take it on the chin and enjoy the rest of your life.

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Out of curiosity was it the near the last weekend in the month???

In the past I have parked there many times,the family that sell the fruit and vegetables,would not complain,as for washing the gypsies come down there and washing hangs every where.

I think you might find,if you don,t pay it,nothing will happen!!if they wanted your money they could have fined you on the spot,and taken your passports away,until you pay the fine,as this does happen.

If M/H keep abusing the laws,and upsetting locals,this is what you can expect,you can park but not camp.
Lots of problems are going to arise as people are not paying on the toll roads,and British number plates are not recognised,until 2017,it's a poor country and like it or not they need the money coming in.

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
Well if a Portuguese solicitor has been involved presumably he will know the exact offence you are being fined for. And as you first posted that it was a parking fine I assume that is what you were told by him. Plus as he is asking if you have witnesses to prove when you left it is presumably an overstaying offence of some sort.

I take it the solicitor was not surprised at the amount you are being fined or he might have suggested you challenge it.

I for one am confused, you say a Portuguese solicitir is involved but in the the first post you say you have not seen a english translation and google is know help. I would have thought the first thing the solicitor would have in is give you an english translation.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It is none of my business and I really should mind my own business, but I strongly suspect that the amount of money being quoted as a "fine" relating to parking in Paderne is a tad misleading...

It is my suspicion that the parking fine is €60ish and the rest is a charge for the "delay" in paying it (obviously ridiculous if the person being fined had been away from home when the first letter arrived).

I also strongly suspect that, if the matter is now in the hands of Portuguese lawyers, it will be sorted out, eventually.

I suspect this process will take time.

Has the OP actually spoken to the lawyer?

JJ :xcool:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Please do not take advise from Eve as they sent the fine to the UK to your home address! this means they will take you to court and the 200+ euros becomes 2000 euros. Times have changed and you commit a traffic offence in France, Germany, Portugal or Spain and it will come back to the UK + costs and you will have to pay. If you return the the country you failed to pay in the following year you could be arrested put in jail and pay 10 times as much. Pay the fine and be done with it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Glastry - if you are 'orange 22' on the 'dark side' forum them it appears you posted this in June 2015 entitled "Portugal Fine" - did you follow the advice given and write requesting information as to why you have been fined asking for an English translation of the letter?

If 'orange22' isn't you, then I suggest you read it anyway.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
are you just being obnoxious,or can you not read?

Rather than being obnoxious, try some reading yourself :)

Rule 1 Be Nice.

This is a civilised place for public discussion. Help us make this a great place for conversation by always working to improve the discussion in some way, however small. If you are not sure if your post will add to the conversation, think hard before posting. Be agreeable, even when you disagree. We do not allow personal attacks of any kind. Offensive, insulting, profane or vulgar remarks are not allowed. As is telling others to "Get a life" or that they or their comments are "stupid" "Crap" or "Bullshit" As soon as a discussion gets even a tiny bit personal it can go downhill fast. So don't get personal "You Would Say That" or "Only an idiot would do that" makes it personal. Don't do it, it ruins the fun atmosphere for everyone.

If someone rubs you up the wrong way then your reply should address the post, rather than the poster or their tone. DO NOT question the intelligence or parenthood of the poster; or make personal comments of ANY kind.Instead, provide reasoned counter-arguments that improve the conversation.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just to add a 'light' note to this thread, when I did a search on Google for 'Paderne parking fines' I had to giggle when the 'automatic' web ads came up with the below ... anyone want to buy one!

paderne.jpg

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
I thought the best googling I did was some years ago when eBay was all the rage and I was researching how to usefully use lawn-mowings. My results gave 'buy new or used lawn-mowings now on eBay"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back