Fine for engine running.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by david price, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. david price

    david price

    Sep 28, 2008
    Heard on the radio two days ago that some councils are considering fineing motorists for leaving thier engine running whilst in traffic jams etc.Seems to me they just want to get our money any way they can.
    How will they enforce this?What about whilst at traffic lights etc.
    Drivers beware.
  2. pappajohn

    pappajohn Funster Life Member

    Aug 26, 2007
    YO11 2BD
    Pollution control - idling vehicles - outline

    A local authority may enforce powers to deal with idling vehicles. If you idle your vehicle unnecessarily while stopped you could be given a £20 fixed penalty ticket.

    The Road Traffic (Vehicle Emissions) (Fixed Penalty) (England) Regulations 2002 (SI 2002. No 1808) enable local authorities in England to issue fixed penalty notices to drivers who allow their vehicles to run unnecessarily while stationary on the road. These regulations came into force on 18th July 2002.

    If an officer authorised under the above legislation discovers a vehicle with its engine running unnecessarily the first action would be to advise the driver of the legal requirements and that such an offence carries a Fixed Penalty of £20. The officer would then request the driver to turn the engine off. A Fixed Penalty Notice would only be issued if the driver refuses to turn off the engine when requested to do so.

    There are however a number of situations where action would not be taken:

    • Where a vehicle is stationary 'owing to the necessities of traffic' - eg where a vehicle is stationary at traffic lights.
    • Where an engine is being run so that a fault may be traced and rectified.
    • Where machinery on a vehicle requires the engine to be running - eg where the engine powers a refrigeration unit, or compaction equipment in a refuse vehicle
    it would interesting to see the response if you ask them for their proof of authorisation to request you turn off or issue tickets.
    then ask them to quote the regulations.

    by this time they are holding up traffic.

Share This Page