Fine example won’t hang around for long. (1 Viewer)

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
A seriously well look after Niesmann + Bishcoff absolutely brilliant condition for year and not at silly money.
<Broken link removed>

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Nice van for sure but it's the less popular FWD 2.8 with belt not cam chain, garage door is on the wrong side and they work well with a rear garage door as well;)

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
While I don't question the quality of a Flair
£33.000 is a lot for what are 18 year old mechanicals
Gearboxes are a bit of an issue and replacements are getting thin on the ground
May be the ideal van for someone though

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Another reason to go for the 3 litre that replaced the old 2.8 in 2005 (y)

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I really love the new N+B vans - especially the Flair. If I had the spondoolicks I'd have one (or get on the waiting list) like a shot. BUT, I have to say these older vans are so dated in looks, both external and internal, I cant believe this van can really be worth £33k?

I know form experience that when individuals sell through a dealer the Dealer is looking for at least £3k commission, in some instances up to £7k, its even higher when Dealer buys and resells a van, they are looking for between £5k and £15k contribution as a minimum. So most likely this is a van that would sell privately for £23k to £28k. At £23k I could see it as a really nice buy for someone considering the N+B quality of fittings etc.

Just my humble opinion and not intended to irritate those with older vans - once you have it (even bought new) it will eventually become an older model!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you buy a new van of that quality you will loose 20k over night so it will be good for someone 👍
Thats the point though you can't buy a new van of that quality or certainly not the right side of £250k, we had a Flair of this era and replaced it with a MORELO costing considerably more ;) OK the Palace is a nice van but I am not sure that it is as well thought out and put together as the old Flair.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I really love the new N+B vans - especially the Flair. If I had the spondoolicks I'd have one (or get on the waiting list) like a shot. BUT, I have to say these older vans are so dated in looks, both external and internal, I cant believe this van can really be worth £33k?

I know form experience that when individuals sell through a dealer the Dealer is looking for at least £3k commission, in some instances up to £7k, its even higher when Dealer buys and resells a van, they are looking for between £5k and £15k contribution as a minimum. So most likely this is a van that would sell privately for £23k to £28k. At £23k I could see it as a really nice buy for someone considering the N+B quality of fittings etc.

Just my humble opinion and not intended to irritate those with older vans - once you have it (even bought new) it will eventually become an older model!
The new Flair is a nicely finished and good looking van but we never viewed it as a worthy replacement for our old Flair, it's all a bit bling inside and the kitchen is rubbish in comparison so that was us out at the first hurdle.

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
So when you say "old Flair"......up until which year is old?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nothing wrong with an 18 year old Mh - if you have the correct base that is MAN.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
When I said “old” I meant our last van which was 2005/2006 actually, if it had been 2010 it would still have been “our old Flair” 😏

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
When I said “old” I meant our last van which was 2005/2006 actually, if it had been 2010 it would still have been “our old Flair” 😏
Thanks for that. I am just trying to clarify when the change in quality that you referred to happened with the Flair...as I am on the search for a MH and Flair is on the shortlist...

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Thanks for that. I am just trying to clarify when the change in quality that you referred to happened with the Flair...as I am on the search for a MH and Flair is on the shortlist...
No the N&B bit of a Flair on top a Fiat is just as good as any other, its the chassis that never was quite man enough for the job under such a heavy body. IMO the best package needs to be on the 3 litre Iveco chassis ( no cambelt unlike the 2.8) and up to about 2008 had a decent kitchen in them, the later ones have a tiny angled affair that is hopeless and still used on most of the modern ones.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not sure having a cam chain is the upgrade many people think it is. I have a Merc 3.7 V6 and the chain is worn and rattles on start up, its an old vehicle but only has 130000miles on it sadly it isn't worth the cost of replacing as it's not just the chain but the tensioner and the pulleys as everything gets worn. My daughter's Merc 2 litre kompressor has just reached 90k and it's recommended to change the chain and tensioner on that as it's a know fault. Way more expensive than having a cam belt changed so how is that an improvement🤨

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Forgive my ignorance but how is an 05 plate at 18 years old.
I thought that was 16 years old assuming an 05 is 2005.
I only ask because my van is a W reg (Jan 2001) and that was 20 years old this Jan 2021.
By the recconning of 2005 being 18 years old, that would make my van 22 years old this year.
Just asking as if I decide to sell this year I need to be accurate in my description.
I am looking to re-purchase again though.
😊👍

Aug 28, 2020
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
none
No the N&B bit of a Flair on top a Fiat is just as good as any other, its the chassis that never was quite man enough for the job under such a heavy body. IMO the best package needs to be on the 3 litre Iveco chassis ( no cambelt unlike the 2.8) and up to about 2008 had a decent kitchen in them, the later ones have a tiny angled affair that is hopeless and still used on most of the modern ones.
Thanks for that clarification.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I'm not sure having a cam chain is the upgrade many people think it is. I have a Merc 3.7 V6 and the chain is worn and rattles on start up, its an old vehicle but only has 130000miles on it sadly it isn't worth the cost of replacing as it's not just the chain but the tensioner and the pulleys as everything gets worn. My daughter's Merc 2 litre kompressor has just reached 90k and it's recommended to change the chain and tensioner on that as it's a know fault. Way more expensive than having a cam belt changed so how is that an improvement🤨

Generally they re more robust and less maintenance than an engine with belt drive cam. In this case the 3 litre is a Iveco unit that is renowned to be more powerful and more robust than the 2.3 litre choice.

Its all very well pushing outputs upwards from smaller engines but if you re to avoid a commensurate loss of torque then you need increasingly sophisticated electronics and turbochargers which bring their own problems.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
And now it's someone else's "old Flair". ;)

Kilroy, tonyandcarol have a 2004 Flair on the Fiat/ALKO tandem chassis. They are over the moon with the N&B build quality, and happy with the drive and performance of the 2.8 JTD. :)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

fesuvious

Free Member
Jul 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
@5yrs
In context though,

The next generation Flair on the MK4 Iveco with 3.0 would likely be £15-20k more.

MOT history on this one suggests owner skimped a bit and also that it's been stood for long periods of time unused.

Current advisories suggest there's £3-4k easily coming up. Sump corrosion isn't something I'd leave for too long!

Brake discs all being corroded means discs and pads all round. While you're there you'd refurb the handbrake.......

Assuming the tyres are shot.....

Discs and pads @£250 per corner fitted, set of boots @£600-800 and replacing the sump £250-400 fitted. Then you'd have to assume bushes can't be far behind.....and add on a full service and a remap.

Last edited:

fesuvious

Free Member
Jul 11, 2020
Midlands
Funster No
MH
Neismann & Bischoff
Exp
@5yrs
To add,
I bought my 2007 Flair in a similar condition. Interior was perfect. Underneath waxoiled. And only @25k miles.

The bare bones were good chassis, great build. Tyres were 10yrs old though.

All new boots, new brakes, new bushes and as a precaution all new cooling (rad/pump/stat etc) and it's pukka!

Unused and unloved or indeed 'minimal upkeep' doesn't always mean 'dont buy'. It can just mean 'buy wisely'

OP
OP
Littlewheels
Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Thats the point though you can't buy a new van of that quality or certainly not the right side of £250k, we had a Flair of this era and replaced it with a MORELO costing considerably more ;) OK the Palace is a nice van but I am not sure that it is as well thought out and put together as the old Flair.
That’s the reason we moved from our 2012 Flair to Concorde.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
That’s the reason we moved from our 2012 Flair to Concorde.
I had a 2015 Flair, the new era, unfairly criticised in my opinion, it has a price advantage on a Daily chassis over a C, M or P, however in my opinion still retains the exterior style advantage. But it is the overall package, when compared to the other 3 main players, that demonstrates where the price advantage is gleaned. I would not say that the N+B is less well constructed it just lacks finesse and a definitive lack of solidity in comparison which is reflected in the overall weights as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back