LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
2 months in 2017, continually since October 2020
Hi people, I'm new here, so bear with me, please!
Having rented a campervan for 2 months three years ago and loved it, it has taken us this long to finally be on the verge of buying. A lot of research ( and saving up!) has gone on in the intervening time, though.

So our problem has turned out to be finding a PVC that feels reasonable light and spacious (despite the obvious restrictions), has longitudinal beds, preferably dinette style rather than fixed, and where both chairs swivel without the occupant's knees crashing into anything. We'd also like a 3 burner hob and grill/oven.
Are we on a hiding to nothing?

The nearest we've found is the Autotrail V line 636 SE, but the extra passenger seats make the pinch point at the kitchen so narrow even my size 12 frame can barely squeeze through.
There's no way to Google search for specific layouts, but there's a database idea for a techie!

Any input would be most welcome.
Thank you.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
Globecar, Possl, Wildax, Devon the list goes on. It depends on your budget really and if you're buying new or used. Layout is arguably the most important part so try and see as many vans as you can and sit in them, swivel the seats, sit in the loo(don't use it!), stand in the shower, lie on the beds etc. everything you would be doing when you are actually camping in it.
Good luck with your search, keep us posted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
I know, JohnJan, it's endless in general terms, and we have spent many a happy hour at the three motorhome shows we've attended jumping in and out of 'vans, trying the beds etc. Now, of course, there aren't any shows, so we are trying to limit the driving to dealers by knowing they will have what we want in stock. With regard to budget, the layout is more important, to an extent.

To find exactly the layout I'm looking for - I guess I kind of hoped someone would say ' oh, yes, I've got one with dinette-style longitudinal beds, swivel seats, a 3 burner hob, oven/grill and a light,spacious feel - it's xx brand!'

But that would be too easy, right? :giggle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Rapido v68 , I think this would suit you.
Hi Anjistar & Welcome from Cornwall.
I suggest you pay your subs to get all the information you need as , after 5 posts you become a read only member . Best £15 you'll spend towards your motorhome.
Terry
1594287166979.png

Upvote 0

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I know, JohnJan, it's endless in general terms, and we have spent many a happy hour at the three motorhome shows we've attended jumping in and out of 'vans, trying the beds etc. Now, of course, there aren't any shows, so we are trying to limit the driving to dealers by knowing they will have what we want in stock. With regard to budget, the layout is more important, to an extent.

To find exactly the layout I'm looking for - I guess I kind of hoped someone would say ' oh, yes, I've got one with dinette-style longitudinal beds, swivel seats, a 3 burner hob, oven/grill and a light,spacious feel - it's xx brand!'

Wildax Aurora Leisure XL

How's that? Hope your wallet is in good shape!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Transverse bed, though! Not going to happen!

Upvote 0

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011

Take your pick! We looked at these originally but went for the Wildax in the end down to spec and styling. Personal choice!!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Reading your post I suspect you want 2 long 'sofas' that can be used as 2 single beds at night rather than fixed beds, Swift do their 'Select 122' model with sofas in the rear:

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp

We’ve got an IH 630RL. Yes there is a pinch point between sink and washroom but we can pass each other .

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Not having any idea of your budget limits things a bit for everything is available, at a price.
As you have visited shows and seen the variety of possibilities you perhaps could also list your lifestyle.i.e.
Do you like inviting lots of people into your van? (Dinette can be awkward to get in and out of). Are you gourmet cooks? (Enough room to prep food and store pans). Do you have pets and or children? (Space for pets to sleep etc). Do you expect to be totally self reliant? (Showers, water tank, toilet) Do you wish to spend long or short periods in any one place (Self contained Awning or wind out awning). Is the van big enough to spend time in on wet days.
Most manufacturers produce a complete range of models although sometimes only making short runs according to sales, but they are about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Not having any idea of your budget limits things a bit for everything is available, at a price.
As you have visited shows and seen the variety of possibilities you perhaps could also list your lifestyle.
Hi Rosalan, thanks for your post, sorry for the delay, I had to wait for my subscription to be processed.

Our budget is reasonable, as we are looking at vans from 2017 and newer, and we've seen the prices!

Lifestyle: The idea is touring Europe. We like to cook local food, don't eat out much. Don't expect to entertain. No pets, no children. Self-contained though we may use facilities when at a campsite. Probably not spending more than a few days in one place.

The idea of having a rear dinette that converts to a bed plus swivel chairs is so that we don't HAVE to make the bed, and can even leave them as singles if we're doing overnight stops, and still have somewhere comfortable to sit for meals. There needs to be room for a guitar and attendant guitarist, indoors on wet days. If we stop for a few days, the guitarist will be able to sit on the bench seats, as the driving seats are not the best shape for this.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
We’ve got an IH 630RL. Yes there is a pinch point between sink and washroom but we can pass each other .
Hi Riverbankannie - sadly I think the budget won't quite stretch that far, though it does look lovely!

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Hi Riverbankannie - sadly I think the budget won't quite stretch that far, though it does look lovely!
That’s a shame, we find it very comfy especially the rear corners and the settee/bed cushions. No toppers needed. Ours 2015 and like new so maybe no need to restrict yourselves to 2017?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Reading your post I suspect you want 2 long 'sofas' that can be used as 2 single beds at night rather than fixed beds, Swift do their 'Select 122' model with sofas in the rear:
I saw that, but the driver's seat doesn't swivel, so if we wanted to leave the bed made up, there isn't a nice place to sit.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I saw that, but the driver's seat doesn't swivel, so if we wanted to leave the bed made up, there isn't a nice place to sit.
I'm surprised if it doesn't swivel at all as it's a modern version of the Swift Mondial RL which had a drivers seat that swivelled 90 degrees.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
I'm surprised if it doesn't swivel at all as it's a modern version of the Swift Mondial RL which had a drivers seat that swivelled 90 degrees.

I think it does, actually, but as you say only 90 degrees, so that it faces the side of the passenger swivel chair, which seems a bit pointless - you'd have to eat lunch from the passenger's lap! The cupboard and fridge behind the driver's seat means it won't turn 180. It doesn't help that the photos on the Swift web site for the 122 Lifestyle actually show the 184, so there are none of the cab of the 122.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Have you looked at the Vantage Neo?

Example here:

Funny you should say that - I am actually looking at it right now - and getting hopeful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

Anjistar

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2020
South West
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Rapido v68 , I think this would suit you.
Hi Anjistar & Welcome from Cornwall.
I suggest you pay your subs to get all the information you need as , after 5 posts you become a read only member . Best £15 you'll spend towards your motorhome.
Terry
:welcome3:

We also have a Rapido V68 with longitudinal beds (also an oven and 135-litre fridge). Both front seats swivel through 180 degrees and are the comfiest chairs in the house for us. There are of course the two additional seats around the dinette, which aren't at all bad either.

But yes, the beds are fixed, which is exactly what we wanted. They are big and always inviting without having to make them up.

It's all a matter of personal taste and comfort, but having owned a number of touring caravans, we were desperate to escape the style of seating they have. We always found the sleeping arrangements a bit of a compromise, and the seating non too comfortable either after half an hour.

As it happens, Mrs mikebeaches really enjoys relaxing on her bed occasionally during the evening and reading, while I hog the dinette on the laptop.

Good luck whatever you decide! (y) We're all different in our preferences. :giggle:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Fixed bed and no oven, I'm afraid - did I say I was fussy?
The Vantage Neo is top of the heap at the moment, if we can find one!

It appears you'll sympathise with the need to have plenty of storage for my yarn and hooks....

They will put an oven in as an option :) The beds make into long sofas during the day I think.

The Neo is a nice van - hope you find one soon.

Our van has a transverse bed at the back and I like to sit across the bed with a bulkhead as a backrest (add pillows for comfort) to read.

THe last place I want to sit after a long journey is one of the front swivel seats :) Dinette and side sofa are comfortable for half and hour to an hour but are too upright and don't have enough leg support for much longer

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Hi Rosalan, thanks for your post, sorry for the delay, I had to wait for my subscription to be processed.

Our budget is reasonable, as we are looking at vans from 2017 and newer, and we've seen the prices!

Lifestyle: The idea is touring Europe. We like to cook local food, don't eat out much. Don't expect to entertain. No pets, no children. Self-contained though we may use facilities when at a campsite. Probably not spending more than a few days in one place.

The idea of having a rear dinette that converts to a bed plus swivel chairs is so that we don't HAVE to make the bed, and can even leave them as singles if we're doing overnight stops, and still have somewhere comfortable to sit for meals. There needs to be room for a guitar and attendant guitarist, indoors on wet days. If we stop for a few days, the guitarist will be able to sit on the bench seats, as the driving seats are not the best shape for this.
I've been thinking of what you've said about the guitar and whether having 2 areas would work out better than one main lounge/bed area with a small 'bistro' area for eating up front (ie cab).

Having a camper that has fixed single beds doesn't mean they can't be used as a separate lounging area - that's what we love about our layout, one of us can be slobbing on the bed, reading, snoozing etc, whilst the other can be doing something in the front using the half-dinette, cab seats etc.

I'm just wondering if this would actually work better for you than the layout you are thinking of - you'd still have the advantage of 2 single beds plus no unmaking/making them up all the time which can be very irritating on long trips and you then have to store the bedding somewhere during the day if you want an unrestricted seating area during the day, also if you leave the 'beds' made up just having the front cab seats swivelled round isn't the most relaxing way to sit for a long time due to the restrictive nature of the furniture etc round them even in the Vantage Neo version.

Our first modern campervan was an Autocruise Accent which was 6m with a half dinette and a rear lounge with 2 facing sofas that made a transverse double, we left this permanently made up as a bed as it was such a faff to do and also if we changed it to a lounge we lost all the storage space which we needed.

All I'm saying is don't rule out a single bed and half dinette layout.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back