Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Newbies, now have a Chausson Flash 08
We have had our "new to us" motorhome for about 3 weeks and so far have been away on 2 short breaks. So it is early days for us. We want to go away as much as we can throughout the year. We don't need sites with lots of facilities but would like EHU, water, waste and (during the winter) hard standing. We are now confident using our bathroom so site showers are not too important. I am looking at sites where we can walk to shops, town, have somewhere to visit. However we are on a budget and need to find more affordable sites. We haven't yet joined CCC or CC, would joining open up some cheaper sites? Do independant sites offer discounts to club members? We go on short breaks as we both have part time jobs. Just need direction on how I can find cheaper sites really

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
CCC and CC both have a network of cheaper sites with varying levels of facilities and price. However such sites are not normally in easy walking distance of shops etc as often farms and such like.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble is that all the things you want cost someone quite a lot to provide - especially EHU, sewage & hard standing after the cost of the land. Not unreasonably site owners want a return on their investment.
The ultimate value is wildcamping but you have to forgo EHU & black waste dumping.
Better & more facilities will cost more, as will location.
I'm sure funsters will be happy to recommend what they think are good value sites (as opposed to just cheap) if you suggest where you want to go
For example, in my neck of the woods, I'd recommend Lyndon Top - but no EHU & its rural but its only £7.50/nt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We live in South West so for now we would want to stay in this part of the country. I appreciate what you are saying re cost of services. However it seems that sites are charging £20 or more pn even in low season.

Upvote 0

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Join the Caravan Club to get access to their CLs.
Identify CLs in the areas you'd like to visit and check them out on Google Earth & Street View to see which would suit your needs.
Although the Caravan Club is not "my scene" the CL network is a great source of low(ish) cost sites.

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We live in South West so for now we would want to stay in this part of the country. I appreciate what you are saying re cost of services. However it seems that sites are charging £20 or more pn even in low season.

the low season time is really expensive for power consumption, we have a holiday let running on bottled gas, only get about 65% of summer rent money in later months, but often spend nearly all the rent on gas. I do have sympathy with site owners having witnessed awnings heated by electric heaters :mad:

As ever a few spoil it for the majority :(

Upvote 0

easy

Free Member
Oct 7, 2016
England
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
image.png
try this
Campsites less than £15 (based on two adults)
Link Removed

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 3
Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Some of the big chains like Haven and Parkdean have very good deals on occasion (£7pn) but they will be closing for winter in a few weeks.
Staying midweek rather than weekends might also prove to be cheaper.
Being honest, I can't think of too many sites offering what you require for less than £20pn, particularly in the South West.
Caravan Club, CCC sites in good locations will likely be at least £20, that's if you can find availability - hardstanding is limited in supply and high in demand.
CLs, CS will be cheaper but as @Riverbankannie has said, unlikely to be near towns or attractions.
Other than that you will probably have to forfeit services and stay on car park locations (Britstops or council parking with permitted overnighting) or find somewhere suitable to wildcamp...

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Go to France.

Ok, I know its not a very practical suggestion if you are working but for us retired old buffers it's just about perfect.
A few days in France using aires can work out cheaper than staying in the UK on overpriced camp sites, even taking a channel crossing into account.

A few weeks back we stayed on a Caravan Club site (as members) for the weekend and paid £82. Our previous French trip of a month cost us almost exactly the same in aires and sites.

Richard.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Invest in an extra battery, straight away that doubles your leisure battery capacity and gives you more time not needing EHU.
Solar panels, can be quiet reasonable if you can DIY fit, lots of info on here how to do it. Again gives you more flexibility on power.
Some clubs like MCC have weekend rallies and during the winter months often use schools and other places with hard standing. Some are in towns where you can get out and about.

As said above there are some CL/CS sites, lower cost but not always in the best place to get out and about from...
There are many pubs now where you can stay overnight free of charge, just buy some drinks or a meal in the pub, if your on facebook there are a few groups dedicated to cheap/free/low cost motorhoming..

I just used the searchfor sites as above... Entered Dorset, £10 limit, motorhome stopovers and sites.. 47 places.. ;)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
beejay

beejay

Free Member
Aug 20, 2016
West Dorset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Thanks Tonka. We've discovered that our Moho did have a solar panel. There's some wiring in the wardrobe and marks on roof where it must have been. We need to look into this. We haven't used the leisure battery yet so need to test it.
Re groups, I'm aware of MCC and I think we'd like to try a rally. Should we join this group rather than CCC or Cc?

Upvote 0

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
For the facilities you want I think £20+ seems fair off season due to the electricity usage. It would be worth getting solar panels and additional leisure batteries so that you're self sufficient - you'll then find cheaper options.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back