Find Ian the builder a van thread (1 Viewer)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
serious question,,wich is rare i know,,,, i have just recieved my gb sticker for helga,,is there a preffered position to put it on her bum ??

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
why not give yourself a little more time in England and let the dust settle, get to know the motorhome, and also find out what you need ? By the way the first thing I do before leaving for a holiday is remove the tv! may as well stop at home and watch it! All the best for your new adventure do your own thing mate.[i have been sitting in a pile of dust and wallowing in my own shit for months mick,,ive had enough now mate,,,i may not make the sunday ferry but if i dont tuesday or wed next week will be fine by me !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Congratulations Ian, I hope you and the van will be very happy together. Wishing you many happy miles and smooth roads.

Next important thing is your Mifi and sim. As you may struggle to get things posted to you in time (e.g the All the Aires book), the best thing for finding places to stay is the Camper Contact app. You need Internet initially to download it but once off the Internet or no signal you can use it to find an Aire. It does work better though if you have wifi. This would be my recommendation anyway.

As soon as you get the mifi and sim sorted one of us can send you a link to download the app.
Please refer to my baby as helga please carol,,she is easily offended ! (Being german you understand)...x

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Alan i will be looking for some advice about where to stay on the way down to the coast of spain alan,if i get ferry to bilbao,i will want route,stopovers etc,,i will be in no rush to get to other side of spain just a nice leusurely drive down,,waving like a loon to every other motorhome i see !!! lol and if i go thru france i will want lots of advice !

Get campercontact app on phone works well with THREE

print of Tonka's route from link i posted yesterday? includes many stop overs..

beam benders for headlights or adjust them

hardly the weather for leisurely drive...can get to Med in 3-4 days and thats taking it easy

Jul 29, 2014
Norfolk and Correze, France
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Had one for 5 years many moons ago. Now starting again.
Ian's search has been spellbinding but in all the excitement of apparently throwing everything into the new home don't forget the payload.;)
I can imagine in the excitement that what it all weighs may be the last thing on your mind.
Whatever, may your future be as fabulous as it sounds. Good luck.(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Campercontact app works well without data so should not matter what network you use.

Helga should have adjustable lights for dipping right or left but it might be a fiddle getting to the back of the light, I take ours out to adjust but it is easy as we have the seperate light surround.

Martin

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Helga Babe! Love it ! Hope she treats you well! Take on all the really useful advice and enjoy!!(y):xgrin:

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Right I won't be taking headlights out. I will if I can use stickers etc. can I get them off the shelf at halfords ? And the van is a monster so payload isn't a drama. I haven't got a lot of stuff !!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Love your maverick approach but payload is important! I needed someone to demolish the porch but you will be sunning yourself in Spain!!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Right I won't be taking headlights out. I will if I can use stickers etc. can I get them off the shelf at halfords ? And the van is a monster so payload isn't a drama. I haven't got a lot of stuff !!
You can get them at Halfords or more expensively (or not!) at the ferry terminal gift shop.

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Don't forget your breathlysers:xThumb:

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And remember you don't need to worry about grey waste drains. The accepted method of disposal in the UK and Europe is to drive along with your tap half open (y)

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
N
Get campercontact app on phone works well with THREE

print of Tonka's route from link i posted yesterday? includes many stop overs..

beam benders for headlights or adjust them

hardly the weather for leisurely drive...can get to Med in 3-4 days and thats taking it easy
Nice one judge.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
And remember you don't need to worry about grey waste drains. The accepted method of disposal in the UK and Europe is to drive along with your tap half open (y)
Nicknic stop leading ian astray! Dispose of waste responsibly!!

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I was planning to do that with all waste. I have rigged up a fixing on the door for the cassette for loo and when I have a hand free at a set of lights I can press button and dump it all in one go! That's ok in Spain I think ? Lol

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

Oh no, someone HAD to bring up grey
waste, a whole new thread needed now !

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Shouldn't need beam adaptors the lights will be LHD that will have been adjusted for the UK, the are adjustable for a right kick up (LHD) or flat beam, flat beam is legal in UK & mainland Europe.
Stick your GB sticker on Helga's bum left or right of the reg plate.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I was planning to do that with all waste. I have rigged up a fixing on the door for the cassette for loo and when I have a hand free at a set of lights I can press button and dump it all in one go! That's ok in Spain I think ? Lol

I tell you what, you are a quick learner(y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Shouldn't need beam adaptors the lights will be LHD that will have been adjusted for the UK, the are adjustable for a right kick up (LHD) or flat beam, flat beam is legal in UK & mainland Europe.
Stick your GB sticker on Helga's bum left or right of the reg plate.

So you are saying that if they have been adjusted from LHD they will be flat and therefore will be OK either side of the water. I will check ours next time I park it facing the wall.

Martin

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
  1. image.jpg
    :xsmile:This book is the best for advice if you can't get wifi to ask all these funsters for help on your travels! For Ian!! I have 2 copies if you PM your temp address I can post it before you go?!

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
I'm going away to test helga tomorrow anthea I will be nowhere somewhere or somewhere nowhere ! No address I'm sorry that was such a nice offer ! I'm also going to ask. Can I buy route maps etc on ferries ?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm going away to test helga tomorrow anthea I will be nowhere somewhere or somewhere nowhere ! No address I'm sorry that was such a nice offer ! I'm also going to ask. Can I buy route maps etc on ferries ?
Hi yes you can get maps on the ferry but not much choice when we were on in the summer, sold out I think . Good luck hope you and Helga have a great trip!:drink::wine::xcool:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
You can plot non toll routes into a sat nav using @tonka instructions,which hopefully by now you have memorised:D.... makes life much easier on the road....and saves some money. a decent Europe map handy.

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies
Yep you can get maps an stuff on ferries, unfortunately they are the new indestructible type, which is doubly frustrating when you want to vent your frustration at getting lost by ripping the map to minuscule shreds and wanging it out the window!! only to find its "Indestructible" and cutting it up with scissors doesn't give the same satisfaction:shake: Sat-navs are no better, you can shout an swear at them all day long, but they will still tell you to turn around:nod:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Yep you can get maps an stuff on ferries, unfortunately they are the new indestructible type, which is doubly frustrating when you want to vent your frustration at getting lost by ripping the map to minuscule shreds and wanging it out the window!! only to find its "Indestructible" and cutting it up with scissors doesn't give the same satisfaction:shake: Sat-navs are no better, you can shout an swear at them all day long, but they will still tell you to turn around:nod:
Haha you've been on our trips!! Won't use Fanny the sat nav and had to change her to a him she can't say Sheffield properly

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back