Find Ian the builder a van thread (1 Viewer)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
OK folks lets get our heads together and try and find a few vans suitable for full timing for Ian to look at. I have already ID'd two that I thought perfect. both twin rear axle and winterised, double floor..but Ian would now prefer to buy one here..To me that means spending more money and getting less..but there you go!

Might be an idea to keep this on topic and factual rather then descending into pages of banter or the lad aint going to get away anytime soon:)

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
OK folks lets get our heads together and try and find a few vans suitable for full timing for Ian to look at. I have already ID'd two that I thought perfect. both twin rear axle and winterised, double floor..but Ian would prefer to buy one here..To me that means spending more money and getting less..but there you go!

Might be an idea to keep this on topic and factual rather then descending into pages of banter or the lad aint going to get away anytime soon:)
Whats the budget?
Location?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Not heard from him since yesterday. He's either too busy kitting it out or recovering from drowning his sorrows.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The worst thing that Ian could do now is rush in, buy something for the sake of it, panic to get across the channel and not be prepped properly.
Sorry, wandering off topic.... but good luck.

No that is far from of topic and I agree:censored:

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We actually need a

'Find Ianthebuilder' thread first :)
probably realising after looking at two vans yesterday its a bit more complicated then buying a bag of donuts.

The budget Robert is as low as possible... £16-17k?. I think he needs to spend at least £20K to get a decent van to live in.

Cheeky bids on this one?..auction ends today!

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

wild card: on a merc chassis but know nothing about them..has a lot of kit..found a thread on here about them so we have owners on here

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ian needs to make up his own mind, he can ask for ideas and pointers on here and I am sure we will all help out with our 10 pence worth or even 10 cents worth BUT he has to make the choices himself as he is the one living in the MH ultimately, that decision may seem irrational to some but it is very personal. Some people buy UK some continental some buy in the UK some buy abroad we are all different.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
My money says he has already bought the 650S yesterday

@Judgemental I see you are encouraging starting as most of us did, over budget :)

No harm in making offers and he might get lucky, but getting a £23K MH for £17 is rather ambitious

Better maybe to look around the limit he has set himself and have a bit left for things that are bound not to work properly if he gets some reduction from that

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ian needs to make up his own mind, he can ask for ideas and pointers on here and I am sure we will all help out with our 10 pence worth or even 10 cents worth BUT he has to make the choices himself as he is the one living in the MH ultimately, that decision may seem irrational to some but it is very personal. Some people buy UK some continental some buy in the UK some buy abroad we are all different.

Martin

Obviously.....But there is a lot of accumulated knowledge on here that can help him. Ian contacted me re imports but has got cold feet as just wants an easy purchase and get away ASAP....I think he concentrates on price to much and not VFM and the long term. all the ones in above link on UK ebay

Incidentally while looking for a Concorde forum for someone last nigh came cross this add for a van. have emailed him re price. might be of interest to someone its in Holland..

"Concorde 790XR Iveco 49.12

Superb 6-person camper with four permanent berths with slatted bases.Equipped with all comforts and luxury.Four seats with seat belts in direction.
Bank behind driver to flip for two additional forward-facing seats.Top class finish, as only a Concorde offers it!Height 8.00 m. Width 2.30 m. Height 3.25 mModel 1996, registration December 23, 1995. Since 1997 in our possession.Km.stand only 88 000 km.Damage & always been maintained by Iveco dealer.Technical and optical 100%.No oil and soot measurement always approved 100%New timing belt + belts overhauled + brakes, MOT until November 4, 2012.

Particulars Iveco 49.12 (chassis)Very solid chassis, absolutely stainless, used only in summer!Heavy duty rear axle with dual rear wheels (rear wheel drive)Air conditioned cabABS braking systemElectrically adjustable and heated mirrors with blind-spot-design mirrorselectric windowsElectrically adjustable headlightsCruise controlPower steeringChiptuning at KLS in Koblenz (std. 116 horsepower, now 132 horsepower at stable consumption)Consumption approximately 1 to 7.5 at cruising speed 100 to 110 km / h (diesel)Top speed around 125 km / hIveco control panel including all functions, such as oil, water, brakes etc.Two luxury and adjust weight Isri front seats with armrests and suspension.Seats in colorFlooringApproved Bosch alarm system with immobilizer (lower insurance!)Gas alarm with additional siren (against robberies with nitrous oxide)Reversing cameraAuxiliary air suspension on the rear axleTowbarExtra Blind Spot MirrorInteriorRadio-CD player with good speakers in cabin27 Mc equipment ("bakkie")Outside temperature within +Tires 60% (accounting for approximately 25 000 km)Stainless steel wheel coversTotal Weight 3660 kg (C-license)Maximum allowable weight 5000 kg, far less than 1340 kg payload!

Particulars Concorde 790XR constructionCompletely isolated, suitable for winter sports.Double bottom with internal water tanks and plenty of extra storage space.Lots of closet space inside (suitable for long-term habitation)Lots of storage space outside behind several luggage hatchesSeparate radio-CD player with good speakers in living areaTV video combi (or watch on the go with Playstation games possible)Automatic oyster dishLarge Heki-skylight + two smaller hatchesTruma boiler and hot air heatingGasovenRefrigeratorEverywhere single-lever mixer tapsGas connection for outside bbq, scottelbraai etc.Fixed makerThetford cassette toilet with 1 extra cartridgeSuperb shower room (very useful!), Plus extra shower outside connection2 x 2 berths with slatted real mattresses and bedverwarmingExtra water tank with additional water pump (std 225-liter auxiliary tank 140 liters, so a total of 365 l)Holding tank 225 litersExtended check-panel battery voltage, water, dirty water, etc.Generator 1500 watt solid under built with automatic transmission220 volt inverter for TV and playstation2 new batteries (2010) for living quarters (200 Ah)Trumatic automatic switching of the two gas canisters, plus indication of empty gas canExtra thick insulation between living area and cabExtra plenty of outlets (both 12 V and 220 V)Big Omnistor awning (6 x 2.5 meters), electrically operated (not roll).Roof rails with solid staircase (roof is 6 cm thick and walkable)Very spacious garage (2,30x1,30x1,20 m) with windows and aluminum checker plate floorExtendable rear bumper with extra aluminum loading platform (2.00 x 1.00 meters), for example. Extra bikes or dinghy or similar

In 2008 front bumper, lower edge, mirrors, air intakes and all other colored plastic tabs and grids to spray because of discoloration original plastic

All original booklets (both Concorde and Iveco) present!

Each inspection permitted wrong in absolute top condition.Never rented, never lent, only himself"

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
probably realising after looking at two vans yesterday its a bit more complicated then buying a bag of donuts.

The budget Robert is as low as possible... £16-17k?. I think he needs to spend at least £20K to get a decent van to live in.

Cheeky bids on this one?..auction ends today!

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

wild card: on a merc chassis but know nothing about them..has a lot of kit..found a thread on here about them so we have owners on here

Broken Link Removed
The Arto looks good and a private sale, the Flair is getting on a bit also a dealer sale & it looks a bit ugly.

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
My money says he has already bought the 650S yesterday

@Judgemental I see you are encouraging starting as most of us did, over budget :)

No harm in making offers and he might get lucky, but getting a £23K MH for £17 is rather ambitious

Better maybe to look around the limit he has set himself and have a bit left for things that are bound not to work properly if he gets some reduction from that

Its a good time of year for cheeky offers

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Pretty good advice.
My van, although quite old was well below market price because the previous owner thought he had abilities above what he actually had resulting in a host of problems including an engine problem that was caused by improper cam belt replacement. The van now is perfect and we've toured extensively in it and added 40k miles without issue.
I know that wouldn't suit Ian bit there is value out there to be had.
Stand back, right choice, not panic to get away and it will work out in the end.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Question is ..............

Where is he?? after numerous daily postings ........... absence :eek:

I can't say I'm bothered .................. but I am curios ;)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Agree completely

Martin

Agree completely..

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
why the panic? he may have picked up some work.... whatever.

But I had discussed it previously with Ian via PM re starting a thread like this. Maybe save the banter for other thread. I would have posted Hymers but did not see any on budget

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Are we looking for a specific layout, a class / coachbuilt ?

Or just anything suitable for fulltiming, around 20k ?

My tuppence worth - has to be from 2001 on, engines improved so much around this time...

OP
OP
Judge Mental

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Are we looking for a specific layout, a class / coachbuilt ?

Or just anything suitable for fulltiming, around 20k ?

My tuppence worth - has to be from 2001 on, engines improved so much around this time...

16-17k preferably

either I would think as long as suitable as a full timer

Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
WELL HELLOOOOOOOOOOO im back !! Judge i cant believe youy started a thread to find me a van!! I am blown away !! ANYWAY PEOPLE,,FEAR NOT,,LOOK NO FURTHER...I AM THE PROUD FATHER OF THE HYMER S650. WOOOPPIIEEEEEE drove it back from manchester last night,,didnt miss a beat,temp was great,,took it straight to my mechanic and now sitting at home after playing with heating,,aircon,,hob,,etc all working as it should all lovely,He says he thinks i have had a bargain !!,cant believe its a 16 year old motorhome,,credit to its previos owners !!(who was an engineer and has added some excellent bits !!) It was strange to get used to driving the old girl i have never driven a bus but once i got used to it it was nice,,comfortable,and i can see everything !! Now i only have a few little bits to d0 as i would expect for the money but i am well pleased,,,cost was £16,000 plus 03 plate petrol volvo... Insurance with safeguard,£427 tax £164 for year,.......... thank you for all the concern and help but i am still going to need all the advice i can get,,, I AM THE OWNER OF A MOTORHOME NOW AND ITS THANKS TO YOU ALL, FOR GIVING ME THE CONFIDENCE TO START MY LIFE AGAIN ! I LOVE YOU ALL !! XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Well done Ian enjoy your van and hope we'll see you somewhere down in Spain over the next three or four months.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Brilliant, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. You may want to convert to LPG at some point though :) - although with the price of oil dropping that won't be a priority.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thank goodness you're back @ianthebuilder - I was worried that you'd been abducted by Motorhome Aliens

images

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back