Filth (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We've been in Greece for nearly eight weeks now. Arrived in iffy weather, wind rain and Saharan sand. Since then hot, hot, hot. Flies, brake dust, diesel grot...the van is just filthy. We have been to the odd campsite but feel strongly that drinking water should not be used for van washing. Equally, don't want to use a Karcher ( there was one at the last site.) We are now on a beach with copious Aegean 10ft away. Would anyone use seawater to at least get the worst off? Can't see any downside on GRP or waxed paintwork and underneath is galvanised. Any thoughts?

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
We've been in Greece for nearly eight weeks now. Arrived in iffy weather, wind rain and Saharan sand. Since then hot, hot, hot. Flies, brake dust, diesel grot...the van is just filthy. We have been to the odd campsite but feel strongly that drinking water should not be used for van washing. Equally, don't want to use a Karcher ( there was one at the last site.) We are now on a beach with copious Aegean 10ft away. Would anyone use seawater to at least get the worst off? Can't see any downside on GRP or waxed paintwork and underneath is galvanised. Any thoughts?
If it was me no, no, no ex Sailor salt is bad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Definitely do NOT use sea water, the salt will cause you more troubles than a dirty motorhome.
One for certain if you are in Greece the tap water isn't classed as drinking water so wash your van without any worries.
Nip down to a marina for evidence and watch them washing the boats, we used to keep our yacht over there and there was two water supplies one free the other you paid for, the free tap water was very chalky and no one would use that for washing their boats down with.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Doesn't seem to do fibreglass boat hulls much lasting harm and they are in it all year.
Just wash in fresh water before you try buffing or polishing.
The sun will dry it but leave an abrasive salt residue.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Are you enjoying your selves??

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Crack another Mythos, get out a jar of olives and let the van chill. There's plenty of time to clean the van when you get home.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Just wait until it rains.............sponge in hand, ladder at the ready(y)

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
They get up at silly o'clock and wash then with tap water.
By the time normal people get up it's all dried.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Doesn't seem to do fibreglass boat hulls much lasting harm and they are in it all year.
Just wash in fresh water before you try buffing or polishing.
The sun will dry it but leave an abrasive salt residue.
Most boat hulls don’t have external components vulnerable to corrosion.

By all means wash some fibre glass with salt but you’ll need to rinse with fresh water to avoid all sorts of stains and to keep corrosion of the key stuff at bay.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Most boat hulls don’t have external components vulnerable to corrosion.

By all means wash some fibre glass with salt but you’ll need to rinse with fresh water to avoid all sorts of stains and to keep corrosion of the key stuff at bay.
.................. and don't drive any vehicle into water that reaches the axles if you can avoid it. The hubs cool rapidly and draw water into the bearings. Deeper still and the gearbox and diff (if rear drive) breathers will be under water with the same result.

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
General consensus seems to be to do nothing. Have spent my life perfecting that! Wouldn't dream of driving into the sea. Drove through a flood drainage stretch of road in Western Australia once. Never been so scared!

OP
OP
tony_g
Aug 29, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Branded stuff? Seems odd unless it was on a poor previous repair?
Aldi or Lidl, I forget which. Odd, their other motoring stuff has been good. I don't really trust methods which don't copiously wash away abrasive dirt build up.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Definitely do NOT use sea water, the salt will cause you more troubles than a dirty motorhome.
One for certain if you are in Greece the tap water isn't classed as drinking water so wash your van without any worries.
Nip down to a marina for evidence and watch them washing the boats, we used to keep our yacht over there and there was two water supplies one free the other you paid for, the free tap water was very chalky and no one would use that for washing their boats down with.

That is too much of a generalisation.

I used to keep my boat in Galatas opposite Poros and the water in that area was vey pure - straight off the Peloponese mountains, and not recycled.

My experience over 30 years was that most of the water on the mainland was fine. Some of the island had some problems with water from wells/cisterns/off tankers, but one soon learned where and when to trust supplies.

Geoff

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Can't understand how the Dutch/German vans seem so clean.

Just like they do for shoes;)... A bit long but hey , you want it shiny(y)? Spit on it and and wipe strongly making small circles:LOL::LOL::LOL:! You might need a couple of days :eek: and a few beers to recover from the effort:whistle::whistle::p And .....it's all free!:D:D

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just like they do for shoes;)... A bit long but hey , you want it shiny(y)? Spit on it and and wipe strongly making small circles:LOL::LOL::LOL:! You might need a couple of days :eek: and a few beers to recover from the effort:whistle::whistle::p And .....it's all free!:D:D

Recover and start again.

Did anyone con you that you are on holiday?

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.

I used to keep my boat in Galatas opposite Poros and the water in that area was vey pure - straight off the Peloponese mountains, and not recycled.

My experience over 30 years was that most of the water on the mainland was fine. Some of the island had some problems with water from wells/cisterns/off tankers, but one soon learned where and when to trust supplies.

Geoff

Certainly the water in Athens and Thessalonika is safe to drink as it comes from a big reservoir at Marathon, however when the local water comes from Bore holes and or desalination plants that is definitely not the best quality for drinking, so yes perhaps I did make a generalisation of the situation.
Having said that most of the water drank in Greece (especially) the islands is bottle water.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Yes...and then some! Still cannot see the harm but I'll let it stay filthy. If in doubt do nothing, crack another beer! I'll class the dirt as a protective coating. Can't understand how the Dutch/German vans seem so clean.
I usually manage to wash my van using less than half a bucket of water. Not very big though.BUSBY.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I wouldnt put salt water any where near my MH i saw what it did to my motocross bike after doing western beach race, dont risk it its terrible stuff near a vehicle

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Haven't you seen any of the threads where people moan and groan because their vans were on the outside decks on Brittany ferries and got a bit of salt water on them? I think salt water is bad and would get into all sorts of nooks and crannies and the dust would all be back by the next day anyway. Consider the dust to be a protective shell plus burglar deterrant and hope that thieves would steal from the shiny van nearby! Works for me but I am lazy on holiday and have low standards.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

Geoff

Is that Galatas on Syros? Lovely island, Syros.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back