Fillsafe or calor gas bottle? (1 Viewer)

Fillsafe or Calor

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I now use SafeFill, having also used GasLow, so feel qualified to comment.
SafeFill had a few advantages over another set of GasLow (or similar) in my new van:
  • They are lighter;
  • They were cheaper (if cost is an issue) and easier to install (no extra pipework and no hole in the side of your bodywork);
  • I can remove one and use it for my genny or BBQ without being tethered to the van (or requiring a special outlet);
  • I can fill in situ or remove them for remote filling (I use POL fittings with a hand-wheel to make it easier);
  • If you shop around, you may find somewhere to remote fill that will not charge VAT (because it is to be used for heating rather than propulsion);
  • In theory, you can see the level of liquid remaining (but I don’t find that easy);
  • You can get adaptors for them, to re-fill in other countries (but these are different to the GasLow ones which are more common);
  • I have not had any difficulty getting them re-filled (but maybe I am lucky);
  • If stuck, you could use a local cylinder temporarily;
  • I expect SafeFill to be easier to sell-on when no longer required.
A big benefit of re-fillable is that you can set off on a trip with a known quantity of gas (ie full) and you are free to top-up in more places (countries) than you can exchange a specific brand of cylinder (possibly excepting Camping Gaz).

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have Safefill. (y)
Main reason is that I have an independent LPG filler only 5 mins away on the same road. Pop it in car, go down and fill prior to trip .

Deleted User
Apologies if this has been posted before?

As newbies we are about to purchase a propane bottle(s)

Have done a bit of googling and are torn between a 10kg Fillsafe bottle which can be topped up at any time/level or the standard 11kg Calor gas bottle which is exchanged when empty or required.

Big difference in price but I guess the long term you’d make your money back as you’d be doing top-ups rather than complete exchanges with possibly unused gas being returned.

Would appreciate your thoughts and experience.

Thanks in advance.
Hi, thanks for the post, it has at least made me review my current method which is x2 6kg bottles which I switch over and swop when empty. The thread has drawn my attention to Safe - Fill which looks a fantastic solution, refillable, light to carry, use cheaper gas and you know the level of gas in there. I am now going to check out dimensions vs my gas locker to see if it works for me. From the varied views posted I can't tell which is the best method to go so will use my own judgement

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Hi, thanks for the post, it has at least made me review my current method which is x2 6kg bottles which I switch over and swop when empty. The thread has drawn my attention to Safe - Fill which looks a fantastic solution, refillable, light to carry, use cheaper gas and you know the level of gas in there. I am now going to check out dimensions vs my gas locker to see if it works for me. From the varied views posted I can't tell which is the best method to go so will use my own judgement
Be aware that Safefill cylinders are frequently out of stock. I was looking to change for a good number of months before they were available. Cannock Caravans were the cheapest when I got ours a couple of months ago.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You will get hassle/refusal (or in my case threatened with police intervention, but that's another story) filling up safefills at petrol stations. Rightly so. Get gaslow or gasit fitted. Both identical just one brand is cheaper.

good luck

Deleted User
Be aware that Safefill cylinders are frequently out of stock. I was looking to change for a good number of months before they were available. Cannock Caravans were the cheapest when I got ours a couple of months ago.
Ah! I have done a bit more research and now found out the cost, can't justify changing as x2 6kg does me nicely, just thought it may be much more convenient, however, not £150+ to get the first bottle, thanks for pointing it out.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Gasit, Gaslow and Alugas have 80% cut off when filling. Calor and Flogas do not. Filling above 80% is potentially dangerous, can stop the gas boiling off properly and may damage the regulator. Some people claim to be able to do this safely by weighing and/or measuring the gas but you would need to be very careful and know exactly what you are doing.
Not strictly true. Calor and flogas fill to 80% and it always has 20% ulage. Calor and flogas are replacement cylinders not refillable so that doesn't come to the fore.
I, as others, haven't voted as I have used replacement cylinders (occasionally calor) and now use refillable cylinders.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
No myth, I have an external filler and I got refused in Portugal. Girl came out and said we don't fill bottles. I pointed at my filler & told her it was a tank and she was OK with that.

No myth,

South London, Shell Garage: Filled up attendent said "you didn't take much gas" I said "only small cylinders" he said I'm calling the police" I said, Sorry ment TANK, its underneath, want to look (relying on underslung winterised heater as decoy) and its almost full. My bad.Sorry ha ha"

Spain: Woman running out of service point sweating like a fat girl in Greggs, yelling and waving some notice. Hasta La Vista, Thank you and goodnight.

Portugal: Finger waving and something undecipherable in Portuguese. Obrigado see ya

France: see above
France: see above

Changed in locker fill to external fill in skirt: And relaxxxxxxxxxxxxx!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I can only say had ours 5 years never had a problem!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back