Filling water tank - which is best ? (1 Viewer)

Which one do you use

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RICSB

Free Member
Jul 6, 2012
Wrexham
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischcoff
Exp
Since 2010
Good morning all, we have just sold our California and upgraded to an A Class when in Europe last year our 5 litre water top did us just fine - a Cali doesn't need much water. But now is different, with a 100 litre tank to fill !! Do I buy a hose? A 25 litre jerry can ? A water roller with a pump ? What do you guys do ? Off to lake Constance in a weeks time and need some guidance - please !!! :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If you just use sites a short hose will probably do. We wild all the time and get water when and where we can so carry an assortment of hose lengths that total around 40 mtrs when all joined together plus a 2 gall watering can, an assortment of tap/hose fittings so we can utilise whatever source we find.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Not listed in poll we use 10ltr water can find this the most convenient method of filling, with enough water when I can't use hose but may take a couple of trips, but does not have to be done at one go unless you want to.
Have various lengths of hose that fit together, if one length is unsuitable, this saves unrolling too much hose, and easier to work with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I use a hosepipe for big fills but to top up I use a 10l jerrycan. My method is this; the filler is below the dinette window,I put the can on the tableand take a piece of brewers hose out of the can and syphon into the tank. I have now 'upgraded' to a syphon pump £3 for 2 from Maplins.
Link Removed

Attachments

• N54HH.jpg
    N54HH.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 22

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We carry various lengths of hose from 25mtr down to 1mtr plus a 10ltr plastic container and a 5ltr one. Also various connectors.

Mike

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
We have 2 x 15metre and 1 x 7 metre hoses and a 10ltr water carrier. The plan for the future is to see if I can buy a 25ltr collapsible water carier as that will (hopefully) fit in the Rolson collapsible trolley and adapt an old caravan Whale pump, with a long hose and long 12v lead to a cigar lighter plug-in, to transfer - four trips will pretty nearly fill the tank.

Though a lot of people don't worry about it, the green and the yellow garden hoses contain a somewhat unhealthy chemical to keep the hoses flexible, so they ought not to be used for potable water. Blue catering quality hose doesn't and so is recommended.

John

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Water

Yes, we do pretty much the same. Use, blue :thumb:quality hoses for water. We also carry an aqua roll and pump for when we are on a site and miles from the water tap!

Have a fabulous time in your new baby!!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I bought a blue water hose when we got the camper, split it into two, and fitted a variety of connectors on the four ends, especially the hozelock type, which seem to cover a lot of possibilities both here and abroad. It's usually cheaper to buy hozelock attachments on your local market rather than in a DIY superstore or garden centre. Make sure you have at least one connector that can be tightened around the end of a tap, like a jubilee clip.

Most of the time I use a 20 litre plastic jerry can to top up the tank. This is especially handy on Aires when a queue builds up at the service point each morning. Often there are more water taps than there are service bays, so when someone with 8 million litres of accumulated grey water is parked forever over the drainage gulley you can still slip in with your jerry can and get fresh water without having to queue in your vehicle. If I'm feeling knackered or it's a long walk to the tap I strap the jerry can to my bike and use that as an adapted push-along water carrier.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We carry a flatpack hose, a 3 mtre blue hose, a water carrier ( 40 litres ) and whale pump bought for a fiver from a certain Upmarket Hippy :thumb:

Seems to cover all the options

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
filled mine today using a house hose

I filled my tank today using the house hose.

In France it was the flat hose

At shows it is a 5 gall plastic container and a pump.

Horses for courses spring to mind... always found someway to do it.

Bob:Blush:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
With the Rv I used hoses, several different lengths, all told could stretch to 50mts .. if that was short I reverted to woman power and a watering can... :roflmto:

This was at Plouha Aire .. as you can see she has it nearly full.. all 72 gals / 325lts.. that's about 32 trips with the watering can.
B0008130.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
10 litre watering can for me - sometimes when away its the only excercise I get.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
After seeing Scotjim`s photo with the waterin can last year I bought one in France, best bit of kit I`ve had, up to that point it was an aquaroll and a submersible pump,and of course the hose pipe:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
I use two quite different methods, I carry one long hose with the connections fitted If I am on a site for any length of time that has water on the pitch I connect to the tap and the van using a replacement cap with a hose type fitting on the outside so I have a permenant water supply, for short stays I use a 5 litre bottle and a funnel so both very different, I also add water before leaving home but not to much, I did have a roll up flat hose once but it kept bursting and
soaking me in the process lol. Peter

Ps If going abroad carry different size tap connections most are the same fit has ours, but some are a bit larger.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back