Filling the water tank question (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
One garden hose we used ruined our tank for tea for a whole summer, in fact when we sold it a year later, that horrible rubber taste was still in the water. From then on I only use the blue roll flat food grade hose. But it does have its problems. It doesn't like to be walked on or driven over, it will immediately leak, secondly the cassette it comes in will only allow it all back in if you 'milk' every bit of water water out of it first. I carry about 50m of it wound on to one of those orange hook up cable tidy's, sounds a lot but this year I might add another 20 its horrible having to move the van cos your a few m short.

Broken Link Removed

This means it rolls up quickly and if there is a bit of water left in it it doesn't matter.

I have cut and joined the hose with hose connectors. So as I unwind I can choose what length I like. The first bit of hose is just 3m and this gets used the most when we park up close to taps. If I need more I leave the 3m bit connected and unwind to the next connector at 10m, or further to another, so on and so forth.

Only every unwinding what I need, makes it quick and easy.

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
We have one of these - you only need to unwind as much as you need.

Broken Link Removed

We also have a collapsible 5 litre water container like this one
Broken Link Removed

We only buy bottled water to give to the dog.:RollEyes:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have an Truma plastic socket thing so are restricted to using either a sump pump thing which came with the van or our newly purchased but very expensive hose with regulator and Truma socket thingy on. So watering cans not an option for us.

However, in our dealers shop there was a food grade water hose on a reel which could be used without unreeling, for about £30.

Not intending to use bottled water, we are made of stern stuff here:thumb:

One of these?
aquasource.jpg

Ours came with the van, as well as the other connector with the pump on the end ( for use in an aqua roll type container). We fit our longer hose to it when needed

Allan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
One of these?
aquasource.jpg

Ours came with the van, as well as the other connector with the pump on the end ( for use in an aqua roll type container). We fit our longer hose to it when needed

Allan

30 pounds for all that and 4 quid for a watering can - no brainer really :winky:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
No it's a truma ultraflow waterline with regulator. They are £80 new we managed to pick up a unused second hand one for £40 but it's only 15 meters long.

But we are hoping it beats using buckets and the short truma sump. (Which we will still carry 'just in case')

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
No Don we can't use a watering can because it's an socket which the truma thing fits in and using elecric pumps the water in.

Can't work out how to do links. Sorry.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We make tea from the tank but if we want to drink it as water (run out of wine:roflmto:) then we refill bottles straight from the tap.
We also always travel with a fullish tank as sometimes water is not available on some aires. Bottled water is cheap in France but needs storage somewhere, and the tap water is very good, generally better than here.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Don't forget to buy a joint and a few adaptors.

Spotted in our local ASDA a tap connector to fit the large thread, 3/4 BSP, it comes with an adaptor bush to reduce it to the standard size, 1/2 BSP, and a second adaptor to reduce it still further to the small size. All for £1, bargain.:thumb:

Gordon

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I read that watering cans do not work in your van.... we spent ages trying to find one that would work and eventually we did. I carry no hoses or regrets.

Alan

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Watering cans are easy but ours fills slowly so a bit of a pain, can not be bothered with hose pipes and taking the van to the tap etc etc so the lay flat stays at home.

I use a aqua roll and our van has a whale pump fitting straight into the tank for filling.

The only problem is if on an aire that charges say €2 for 80 litres of water you can not get that in a Aquaroll or watering can and by the time you go back to the tap somebody else will have had some free water.

Martin

Jan 26, 2013
france
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
four years
agree with baldeagle, bottled water is very cheap here in france. we always carry a 5 litre bottle for the tea stops. a water filter does for the rest. for the water tank we top up regularly with a large watering can with an extension pipe fitted for insertion into the water tank filler. have spoken to quite a few fellow MHers who say that no matter how many connectors they carry there is always a tap that will not take any of them. so, all you experienced hands out there, is there a "cover every eventuality" set of connectors out there or, any DIY kits.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Got one from the pound shop you can guess what it cost!!

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We use 2 small length food grade water hoses both with push on connectors....that way they fit all taps we have come across and you can connect the two together if need be.
Bottled water in france is really cheap....Mick and Les

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i bought a verve micro hose from b&q its 10mtrs and is no bigger thatn a small extention lead all the other connections are normal size

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Whatever you do, DO NOT copy my friend with his Hymer in France, He decide a hose would be a good thing so he went into Carrefour and saw a few and bought the cheapest item there. When he got to a site he coupled it up and water sprayed all over the place, it was an irrigation hose. The German next door to him nearly had a heart attack laughing.

iceni

Free Member
Dec 3, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Lowline Coachbuilt
Exp
27yrs
so, all you experienced hands out there, is there a "cover every eventuality" set of connectors out there or, any DIY kits.

Yes there should be
If the rally organiser of the next rally PMs me thier address I will send a box of assorted tap connectors and you can hand them out at the rally. I work for Hozelock who make the buggers !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back