Filling Gaslow / Alugas bottles. (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, yes you can. you fit a t piece into the filling hose .ideally with two valves open one to the calor .when its got enough shut that one and open the one to your gaslow . easy .infact the garager pump will switch off at about 90% .even if you dont have the valves .i,m assuming the filler point as a none return valve in it .

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi, yes you can. [HI]you fit a t piece into the filling hose .ideally with two valves open one to the calor [/HI].when its got enough shut that one and open the one to your gaslow . easy .infact the garager pump will switch off at about 90% .even if you dont have the valves .i,m assuming the filler point as a none return valve in it .

But that assumes that user refilling of Calor bottles isn't an accident waiting to happen :Smile: That subject has been aired on numerous occasions and I'm certainly not convinced that the risks are acceptable :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yet many fit bottles with unreliable 80%cut out and fill with confidance that it will work.
i was only answering a question offered by the op. if you just fill a part full gaslow and it fails puts you just as likely to over fill. if its empty at least you might think thats alot and stop.
as it is i,m not happy that gaslow or any of the others are any safer.
i do know that when i fill my tank with the bleed off valve cracked open that when liquid comes out its 80%full. just like the huge tank here that calor fill.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forecourt and Non-Forecourt PoI sets,

beware of the above.......many places listed only sell bottled gas but are still on the POI set because they still sell gas.

best to ring ahead to check if they actually sell Autogas, as opposed to calor.

there are a few listed locally on various POI sets but only two listed sell Autogas...the rest bottles only

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Imagine my (almost) embarrasment last night.

Pulled into the Uttoxeter Services on the A50 to fill the Gaslow up last night.

The gauge on the bottle has never worked, so no idea how much was left in there.

We have done a few weekends away and also our 10 day trip down to Lake Garda. These involved many hot water heats, cooking, a little fridge use (when not in EHU) and some extended BBQ (including cooking baked potatoes).

So as we are off-EHU this weekend, I didn't want to run out of gas as the fridge will be on it all weekend.

Original fillup was around 22litres (11Kg cylinder) so I assumed that this must be getting a bit low.

Pulled up to the pump, attached the nozzle, clipped it on, pressed the button and about 10 seconds later, CLICK!

Imagine my suprise when I look up and it's taken just over 6 litres, yes, all of £4 to top up. :Eeek:

Went into pay and realised I didn't have any cash, just my Debit Card...... Couple of bottles of water later and I get my bill up to £6.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Imagine my (almost) embarrasment last night.

Pulled into the Uttoxeter Services on the A50 to fill the Gaslow up last night.

The gauge on the bottle has never worked, so no idea how much was left in there.

We have done a few weekends away and also our 10 day trip down to Lake Garda. These involved many hot water heats, cooking, a little fridge use (when not in EHU) and some extended BBQ (including cooking baked potatoes).

So as we are off-EHU this weekend, I didn't want to run out of gas as the fridge will be on it all weekend.

Original fillup was around 22litres (11Kg cylinder) so I assumed that this must be getting a bit low.

Pulled up to the pump, attached the nozzle, clipped it on, pressed the button and about 10 seconds later, CLICK!

Imagine my suprise when I look up and it's taken just over 6 litres, yes, all of £4 to top up. :Eeek:

Went into pay and realised I didn't have any cash, just my Debit Card...... Couple of bottles of water later and I get my bill up to £6.

I wished my set up would use the same...like our last M/H......4 weeks away in Brittany just come back, only EHU three nights out of the 4 weeks.....we only use the gas on heating (alde) for a hour in the morning which also heats the water and of course the fridge....the cooking.....and 2 hours at night on the ALDE wet heating........4 weeks later, 3 X refills of 11kg (around 60 to 66ltr) LPG alum gas bottles refillables:Eeek::Doh::cry:....as somebody said to me life's bitch sometimes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::Doh: Now give me time to think this one out:Doh: life's a bitch Mmmmm I will ask SWMBO what he ment

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
I'm guessing it's the heating that takes the gas? Our heating is Diesel, so we save a bit on that.

We also don't go off-EHU that often so the fridge isn't on constant gas.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I'm guessing it's the heating that takes the gas? Our heating is Diesel, so we save a bit on that.

Yes Craig you are guessing correct....that is exactly what we think...it is the only difference from our last Motorhome....as it is the same size fridge & freezer....more or less the same size cooker.... both had / have ovens......but this has the ALDE WET central heating takes 30 mins to get the radiators hot..but then it comes into its own the whole van is warm/hot , the second floor with the pipes underneath them are warm ...the garage is warm/hot...this motorhome is a little bit longer about 1/2 a meter than the last van so may have a little more to heat
NO hot or cold spots....
The other was the truma blow heating.. which is blowing hot air very quickly..that is the only difference:Doh:

Mel

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
You are quite close to me so I suggest you get an account with Countrywide Farmers.

See my response to another LPG thread earlier today:
Broken Link Removed

do any funsters know of a similar thing in the north yorkshire area ?. I have tried various google searches all to no avail !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try a google for flogas .they can be cheaper on gas. i,m lucky we have one at the end of our road.

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
If you have one close, then fair enough, but it's so cheap and fill ups are not so frequent that a special journey to get it cheaper is a bit of a false economy.

Jnet

Free Member
Jul 23, 2017
Moray
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper symbol
Exp
I'm a newbie
Is your insurance cover affected if you fit a gasit system yourself? And do you need it signed off by a registered gas fitter . Thanks for advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back