File format for Avtex USB input? (1 Viewer)

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Forgive me if this has been covered a million times before but I have searched and found nothing. I want to play films on my Avtex TV/DVD combo using a USB stick as a source. I have formatted the USB stick in the TV but copied the film files (already converted to MP4) from my computer to the memory stick. I am deliberately using a small 2gig memory stick as I understand Avtex don't like huge ones. I have reached a point where I can see the file, correctly named but when I come to play it, after a lot of thinking, I get a message flashed up which disappears instantly, saying, I think, "Unsupported file format".

I have used the engineers code to enable DivX but really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated massively.

Jerry

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Sorry, by trial and error have found that the type of avi file that the originals were in actually works on the TV without having any conversion necessary. Sorry to bother anyone who read this.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
My Avtex (W163D) only accepts JPEG & MPEG-4 file extensions.
MP4 is not the same as MPEG-4.

This was typed while you were responding.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jerrymjj

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
Thanks for that. I used a free program called G-Spot (yes really) to identify the codek of a film I knew did work and then used another free piece of software called Freemake Video Converter, to convert the files to MPEG 2 which is what G-Spot told me the other was. I think MPEG-4 is the same but different in some way that I don't understand so went for MPEG-2 which works for me. What I did determine was that the memory stick has to be formatted in the TV before the films are copied onto it.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Forgive me if this has been covered a million times before but I have searched and found nothing. I want to play films on my Avtex TV/DVD combo using a USB stick as a source. I have formatted the USB stick in the TV but copied the film files (already converted to MP4) from my computer to the memory stick. I am deliberately using a small 2gig memory stick as I understand Avtex don't like huge ones. I have reached a point where I can see the file, correctly named but when I come to play it, after a lot of thinking, I get a message flashed up which disappears instantly, saying, I think, "Unsupported file format".

I have used the engineers code to enable DivX but really have no idea where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated massively.

Jerry

I have a 2015 Autotrail Delaware that has an Avtex installed 18.5", this works fine with my 2tb external 2.5" usb drive. The formats are picky but mkv/mp4 def work. I only use this function on occasions as most of the time i will connect the WDTV box to it and that plays everything (ISO/VOB/AVI/MKV/MPG/MP4 etc etc) This connects using 12v as well so NO need for EHU and with a 2tb drive this can hold more than we can watch :) no power needed for the 2tb drive as the power comes from the usb socket either on the tv or if using the WDTV then from this.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Jerrymjj

I note that you say you have formatted the USB in the TV. You do not need to do this as the TV should play directly from a USB without any formatting beforehand unless you are going to use the USB stick to record programmes from the TV to play later on. This may explain part of your problem.

I would suggest you try another stick and I have certainly used memory sticks up to 16gb with no problem.I have also used a Hardrive of at least 1tb. The thing to ensure is that the hardrive must be formatted Fat32 which is the same as memory sticks are and also I found must be USB 2 not USB 3 as whilst they are supposed to be back compatable they do not work. Most hardrives are not Fat32 I can tell you what I use.

The files I have are .avi with mpeg codecs. Just try putting your films on another stick which you have not formatted in the TV.

If you want any more info PM me with any questions you may have.

Doug

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Hi Jerrymjj

I note that you say you have formatted the USB in the TV. You do not need to do this as the TV should play directly from a USB without any formatting beforehand unless you are going to use the USB stick to record programmes from the TV to play later on. This may explain part of your problem.

I would suggest you try another stick and I have certainly used memory sticks up to 16gb with no problem.I have also used a Hardrive of at least 1tb. The thing to ensure is that the hardrive must be formatted Fat32 which is the same as memory sticks are and also I found must be USB 2 not USB 3 as whilst they are supposed to be back compatable they do not work. Most hardrives are not Fat32 I can tell you what I use.

The files I have are .avi with mpeg codecs. Just try putting your films on another stick which you have not formatted in the TV.

If you want any more info PM me with any questions you may have.

Doug

I think the fat32 was an issue with the earlier versions as my 2tb drive is formatted as NTFS and my Avtex sees this no issues, i also have some films on there that are well over 4gb in size (fat32 file size limit).

Reactions: DJA

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If it works on MPEG 2 then I would leave it at that. MPEG 4 is a format designed for mobile devices and has a much higher degree of compression than MPEG 2. This means the files are much smaller which could be a big advantage if using a USB memory stick of limited size but this is only achieved with a loss of quality. But whether you can tell the difference on a typical MH screen is another matter! :)

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi zzzzac

Thanks I will bear that in mind and try it on mine sometime.

Always useful to hear of others experiences.

Doug

Reactions: zac
Mar 5, 2016
Trefin/Porthgain
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
The new avtex 18.5 will do everything you want.free view hd free sat and record and work with sky plus hd with perfect HD picture.please excuse punctuation .

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
The new avtex 18.5 will do everything you want.free view hd free sat and record and work with sky plus hd with perfect HD picture.please excuse punctuation .
@harblights
Does this tv have 2 tuners or 1 please? Also what do you record on? Does it have a Hard drive?
Sorry to hi jack post.

Mar 5, 2016
Trefin/Porthgain
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I think best to try this link-
They give the full spec there, more info than I can give as I have only had it 2 days.
Hope this helps.
Huw

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back