Fifth Wheel Friendly campsites.. (1 Viewer)

kegsta

Free Member
May 19, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Evergreen Eco Lite LE
Exp
Hi - I'm about to pick up a new fifth wheel from Calder next week and head south. I'm used to driving fairly large vehicles but have never towed anything in my life ... hmmm...

Anyway, just wondering whether I've missed a useful thread somewhere about sites that are particularly good/welcoming or whatever they need to be. Do I need physical strength or just patience? I'm not quite as naive as I sound and have done lots of homework and have camped loads over the years. Just never towed myself...

Myself and my ten year old are returning after six years in Australia and we're planning planning on being on the road full-time between now and September when he starts back at school. We want to stop in the S Yorkshire area overnight on the way down from Scotland. And have booked in at at site near St Albans for a week after that. But any tips on particularly good sites or particularly not good ones!

And any other things you wish you'd known when you did your first run in your fifth wheel?

If you see us around I'll be the one parking as far away from civilisation as I can find, so nobody can laugh at my manoeuvring skills.

Thanks for your time

dj motormouth

Free Member
Nov 26, 2011
England
Funster No
MH
RV A Class
Exp
since 2011
You need to go on the sister site - rvoc.co.uk

There you will find a mine of information about 5'ers. It only costs £5 to join being a member on here.

Michael

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Dont worry when you go to pick up your unit tell Alex you have never towed and they will usually give you some lessons and make sure that you feel confident with it.

mikeman

Free Member
Apr 22, 2010
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel kountrylite
Exp
Started in VW Kombi in 1971
Alex will give you a lot of good tips. The first couple of days are the scariest. Remember when manouvering take it SLOW.
I have been touring for 2 years now in a Kountrylite 26RK and have been relaxed about towing from about day 3.
When using campsites in the UK phone ahead and make sure they can accommodate you and the access to the site is easy.
Good Luck
Mike

Kasey

Free Member
Nov 10, 2011
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheeler
Exp
since 2009
I've only ben refused entry on one site (in Lancashire) and they couldn't tell me why. Most others are no bother to get onto.

There is another forum which has a section for good sites and that is "*************************". Worth a visit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Hopefully your drive south will bring you to France soon, where you will find generally much less traffic than on UK roads - driving is a real pleasure here.::bigsmile:
You can visit us at Parc Verger, where there are RV friendly full-service pitches with plenty of room for all 5th-wheels, and no problem with manoeuvring room! All that and a Funster discount too.:thumb:
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back