Fifth gear problem. Help needed!!! (1 Viewer)

gazza280

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Hi Guys

Help needed please with regard to fifth gear problem.

I recently had and MOT and full service done on my Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starblazer. At first driving after the service I had a big problem getting into reverse gear, but now this has cured itself and is not a problem anymore. I think because the oil was changed it may have needed to work around the engine. However I took the van out on a few drives along the coast this week and occasionally I have been having a problem with fifth gear.

Earlier in the week started thuding occasionally when selecting fifth after driving for about 30mins (I put this down to my driving initially) , then later after doing about 80 miles I couldn't select fifth at all.
So I stopped and turned the engine off then stated it again and tried to select fifth again and it was working fine.
A little while later same problem.
Second drive everything seemed to be fine. Selecting 1,2,3,4,and 5 worked smoothly and drove for about 1 hour. Next morning set off home fifth gear worked fine, but 5 miles from home couldn't select fifth again. Stopped the engine, started the engine, fifth gear easy to select again.

Only starts to happen after a long drive and I am stumped. I am going to phone the service garage but thought you guys will probably give me some insight before I call so I am forearmed.

I know there are issues with fifth gear on some vehicles but any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Gary

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Hi Guys

I recently had and MOT and full service done on my Peugeot Boxer Autocruise Starblazer. At first driving after the service I had a big problem getting into reverse gear, but now this has cured itself and is not a problem anymore. I think because the oil was changed it may have needed to work around the engine. However I took the van out on a few drives along the coast this week and occasionally I have been having a problem with fifth gear.

Earlier in the week started thuding occasionally when selecting fifth after driving for about 30mins (I put this down to my driving initially) , then later after doing about 80 miles I couldn't select fifth at all.
So I stopped and turned the engine off then stated it again and tried to select fifth again and it was working fine.
Second drive everything seemed to be fine. Selecting 1,2,3,4,and 5 worked smoothly and drove for about 1 hour. Next morning set off home fifth gear worked fine, but 5 miles from home couldn't select fifth again. Stopped the engine, started the engine, fifth gear easy to select again.

Only starts to happen after a long drive and I am stumped. I am going to phone the service garage but thought you guys will probably give me some insight before I call so I am forearmed.

I know there are issues with fifth gear on some vehicles but any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Gary

You did not say what year and which engine is fitted in your van..BUSBY:Smile:

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Is it a 2.8 engine? I'm no mechanic but 5th gear was an add on to a 4 speed gearbox mated to this engine and there has been a number of problems due to 5th not getting lubricated properly and wearing as a result. If it is this its not a huge problem replacing it although the Garage I use sourced a second hand part in really good condition and was fitted for £250 all in. A new part would be about double.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Is it a 2.8 engine? I'm no mechanic but 5th gear was an add on to a 4 speed gearbox mated to this engine and there has been a number of problems due to 5th not getting lubricated properly and wearing as a result. If it is this its not a huge problem replacing it although the Garage I use sourced a second hand part in really good condition and was fitted for £250 all in. A new part would be about double.

Oil doesn't take time to reach things in a gearbox - there's plenty stuck to things until the new oil gets thrown about. Have it examined as soon as possible as some issues with 5th cause it to shed metallic debris - which doesn't do the rest of the box any good at all.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance
Gary

Did they touch anything to do with the clutch?? reverse is your lowest gear, and the cones find it very hard to engage if the drive is in any way pulling on the gearbox through the clutch. You may have clutch drag. I dont know if you have a hydraulic clutch, or a cable version, however, a warm clutch lining can expand, stopping the unit fully dis-engaging.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

I thought it was the 2.5 engine that had the gearbox 5 th gear added to its exterior .... Cost me less than two hundred quid with new parts and labour. Took him an hour without a pit or a lift. Easy fix. BUSBY:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
gearbox not refilled with the full amount of oil or the wrong oil would be my guess. has happened to others and the 5th gear failing has been the result. quite a simple job to replace the damaged/worn gear but expensive parts so not a cheap job to fix. certainly not something you can do on a campsite as parts need to be ordered as there are a couple of possible parts fitted dependant on the weight of the vehicle usually

do a search of the forum and you will find a very detailed description of the repair with photos

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
theirs a guy called mike chub no1 gear he fixies gear box problems very nice chap he will be doing a rebuild on my gear box comes very highly recommended and is doing a modification to allow the gear to get lubricated to stop the problem
bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back