LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NO not "I wish I were a rich man" although I do(y)

Spent about 3 hours on the roof today with my new favourite spray bottle and a couple of cloths, a while ago I ordered 5 litres of Aqua Wax so thought I would give it a go on the roof and I am really pleased with how it cleans and waxes at the same time.

I lifted all the lids and even the sat dish and had a good old clean in the areas that dont usually get done.

IMG_0348 2.JPG

The black is the mastic sealer "honest"

IMG_0351.JPG

I climb on the garage roof and then onto the van roof, jacks down makes it a bit more stable.

IMG_0352.JPG

Anybody on the Hull Zeebrugge ferry Monday night can have a sneaky look as we are loading, otherwise you will just have to believe me that it looks pretty good, and hopefully less black streaks down the sides.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
More wires than the national grid.
I wanted to run each solar panel individually on its 4mm cables and then join inside into 6mm to the regulator, I had to make the 6 way entry box as I couldn't find one commercially.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
You've still got space for more solar panels. :)
Is the aqua wax the Autoglym one?

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
That struck me as odd, never seen one that shape before. Very neat, how did you make it ?
Thanks Brian it's easy when you have a moulding business and a CNC machine(y) just machined a tool to the shape with a slight draw on it and then moulded over in fibreglass finished the outside with a flow coat of gel and filler, the rubbed back and painted.

Don't have either now but still have access if I need anything making.

Martin

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Strictly Come Roof Cleaning judging panel:

[9] [9] [10] [8] [10]

Craig Revel Horwood: "Very good footwork technique darling , and you recovered well from the slip by the toilet vent, but you've missed a bit about halfway between the two left hand roof rack brackets in photo 3 so I can only give you an 8." (Audience hisses).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just machined a tool to the shape with a slight draw on it and then moulded over in fibreglass finished the outside with a flow coat of gel and filler, the rubbed back and painted.
Martin

Just like then.

I on the other hand stuffed a pair of wires down a single gland and liberally applied gunge, it worked but it ain't pretty.

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
(y) and YES, I buy Autoglym stuff in Bulk from They call the Aqua wax "Express Wax" in bulk as they call the rapid detailer "fast shine and lube"

Martin

This looks a great shout on the Aquawax. Gonna get myself 5 litres of that!

Do you use any particular product to clean Martin?

Also - is the Aquawax all that you would use ahead of winter? Do you do anything else to protect from grime? Do you bother with a winter cover?

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
NO not "I wish I were a rich man" although I do(y)

Spent about 3 hours on the roof today with my new favourite spray bottle and a couple of cloths, a while ago I ordered 5 litres of Aqua Wax so thought I would give it a go on the roof and I am really pleased with how it cleans and waxes at the same time.

I lifted all the lids and even the sat dish and had a good old clean in the areas that dont usually get done.

View attachment 153106

The black is the mastic sealer "honest"

View attachment 153107

I climb on the garage roof and then onto the van roof, jacks down makes it a bit more stable.

View attachment 153108

Anybody on the Hull Zeebrugge ferry Monday night can have a sneaky look as we are loading, otherwise you will just have to believe me that it looks pretty good, and hopefully less black streaks down the sides.

Martin

An excellent job mate. I'm trying to pluck up the enthusiasm to start to mine, might go for it this afternoon if it stays dry up here in sunny Scotland.

Feb 19, 2015
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Well either inspired or embarrassed by funflair's efforts my afternoon was spent up on the roof. Washed and scrubbed around the roof lights then a once over with autoglym super resin polish before finishing off with the recommended Colonite 476. Roofs looking great now so will need to work my way around the rest of the van.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is there a roof? Never seen mine apart from sticking a couple of Solars on:(

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mine isn't too bad but I'm still itching to get up there and give it a clean and Polish
20170826_075817.jpg

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
I'm scared of walking on the roof.....

Not scared of heights, just damaging/weaking it..

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I'm scared of walking on the roof.....

Not scared of heights, just damaging/weaking it..
Most roofs are strong enough to take an average man's weight, although admittedly the first time I went on a motorhome roof I was sceptical.
At least with this one I know there's no timber frame in there mine has an aluminium tube frame reinforced structure so it's pretty strong.
I'll still be in my hands and knees though :p

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
You must be one very proud man, I'm ashamed of our roof, what I can see from inside the toilet opening in the ceiling anyway that's as far as my view of the roof goes!
Good job we don't have solar panels up there, they'd never work!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wow loads of space for solar up there(y)

Martin
Yes I was thinking that myself, I'm not sure how effective the two panels are that's already there one of them I think may be useless as the glass is cracked.
I'm a bit of a novice with regards to solar so I'll be bending folks ear in the coming months as I'd like to make the van self reliant

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back